A student in need of direction.

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
Very fair! I can safely say looking at our Liverpool associates they leave spot on time (some even a bit earlier). The only person staying late is a partner and even then, they're out by 6. Our London associates when I see them, seem to be working much later. WLB is definitely much better up north - but when big deals are involved then it can a bit skewed!

At least it gives you more time to research those firms and other firms in anticipation of their applications opening (usually around Sep or Oct) - best of luck for them, I am sure you'll do fine!
Problem is I am graduating this year.

What firm are you at?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Problem is I am graduating this year.

What firm are you at?
    That's not a problem at all. A lot of people often take gap years from graduating before starting their postgraduate degrees (some take a year, some take two years, and some take a bit longer). A gap year gives you the benefit of being able to devote a lot of time to researching firms, producing high-level applications, and investing more time into improvement regardless of the outcome. Those skills are essential to the career and will be looked favourably upon. The other side is that the age of getting a TC should not be a worry - in our latest cohorts of trainees, a solid majority was over 27+.

I'll drop you a message with my firm a bit later when I have some time!

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    That's not a problem at all. A lot of people often take gap years from graduating before starting their postgraduate degrees (some take a year, some take two years, and some take a bit longer). A gap year gives you the benefit of being able to devote a lot of time to researching firms, producing high-level applications, and investing more time into improvement regardless of the outcome. Those skills are essential to the career and will be looked favourably upon. The other side is that the age of getting a TC should not be a worry - in our latest cohorts of trainees, a solid majority was over 27+.

I'll drop you a message with my firm a bit later when I have some time!
    Do you have much information on graduate solicitor apprenticeships and their differences to a TC?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Do you have much information on graduate solicitor apprenticeships and their differences to a TC?
    I don’t have on hand references (someone might be able to provide those who may them on hand!), but generally speaking graduate solicitor apprenticeships usually are for slightly longer than TCs and tend to give you more access to other areas (I believe Weightmans for example is 33 months and gives you insight into 5 practice areas rather than 4 from a “traditional” TC). Graduate apprenticeships will incorporate postgraduate study (SQE most likely) by giving you a dedicated day of the week to go and study (so you’ll be working for 4 days and 1 day will be studying). @Jessica Booker - unsure if you have some additional insight from your extensive knowledge of GR!

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    I don’t have on hand references (someone might be able to provide those who may them on hand!), but generally speaking graduate solicitor apprenticeships usually are for slightly longer than TCs and tend to give you more access to other areas (I believe Weightmans for example is 33 months and gives you insight into 5 practice areas rather than 4 from a “traditional” TC). Graduate apprenticeships will incorporate postgraduate study (SQE most likely) by giving you a dedicated day of the week to go and study (so you’ll be working for 4 days and 1 day will be studying). @Jessica Booker - unsure if you have some additional insight from your extensive knowledge of GR!
    Would argue they are actually less time overall - if you count the time allocated for a SQE prep course (+ maybe a GDL) and the two years working on a traditional TC, graduate apprenticeships that total <36 months (3 years) are arguably less time overall. I had also tried looking into them but they seem relatively new and not many firms seem to offer them unfortunately.

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    Would argue they are actually less time overall - if you count the time allocated for a SQE prep course (+ maybe a GDL) and the two years working on a traditional TC, graduate apprenticeships that total <36 months (3 years) are arguably less time overall. I had also tried looking into them but they seem relatively new and not many firms seem to offer them unfortunately.
    It seems that only regionals like them

Reactions: prospectiveswitcher

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.