About to start SQE Sponsored by my MC Firm - looking to postpone start date

idkwhatnametake

• Nov 13, 2021
    Hi,

I am posting here as I am in a bit of a conundrum. I am supposed to start my SQE with BPP in February which is starting in February 2024, however over the Holidays I have been informed that my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Albeit not at a severe stage with very high chance of recovery in the next 6-12 months after surgery + chemotherapy/radiotherapy, I am thinking of potentially asking my firm to delay my SQE start date for the next intake in September 2024.

I am not from the UK and neither are my parents so it is not easy and quick to go back home often and I feel that given the timeframe for the SQE prep we were given, I would benefit from delaying my start date. The only thing is it is a bit last minute (start date is around mid/end Feb), so do you think there is a chance my firm will agree? My dad is also not the easiest to deal with and has been very secretive/isolating himself about it so I am unsure as to how I would be able to provide evidence of my dad's illness to the firm if that were required so I am quite unsure how to go about it.

I appreciate anyone's help about the above.
    Many thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

I am posting here as I am in a bit of a conundrum. I am supposed to start my SQE with BPP in February which is starting in February 2024, however over the Holidays I have been informed that my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Albeit not at a severe stage with very high chance of recovery in the next 6-12 months after surgery + chemotherapy/radiotherapy, I am thinking of potentially asking my firm to delay my SQE start date for the next intake in September 2024.

I am not from the UK and neither are my parents so it is not easy and quick to go back home often and I feel that given the timeframe for the SQE prep we were given, I would benefit from delaying my start date. The only thing is it is a bit last minute (start date is around mid/end Feb), so do you think there is a chance my firm will agree? My dad is also not the easiest to deal with and has been very secretive/isolating himself about it so I am unsure as to how I would be able to provide evidence of my dad's illness to the firm if that were required so I am quite unsure how to go about it.

I appreciate anyone's help about the above.
    Many thanks
    I would try to call your point of contact at the firm today to see if they are working today/tomorrow/Friday, as I think it would be best to flag this to them as soon as possible.

The more notice they have, the more likely they will be able to consider this. It might be that the person who would make the decision on this is not back until the new year, but flagging this as early as possible is the best approach to take, so even trying to contact them this week could work in your favour.

If you are not from the UK and would need sponsorship to live/work in the UK, just be mindful that there could be implications for your student/graduate visa (what you were expecting to stay in the UK on whilst studying), and also any implications for how this could impact your work visa. It might be worthwhile getting your head around this ahead of the conversation with the firm.

If it is an MC firm, there is a reasonable chance they will be able to defer you just due to their trainee intake size. However, it is going to depend on how well subscribed the trainee intake you are looking to move to is, and whether anyone in that intake is looking to move, and also whether the firm is operating some form of waiting list. You may also find that they have to defer you for 12 months rather than 6, and so be prepared to think about what you'd be happy to defer based on these timeframes rather than 6 months.

I don't think you will need to provide evidence of your Dad's illness - its highly unlikely a firm will request this because its data that is not about them or you. At best they could ask for someone to verify the circumstances - for instance getting written confirmation from another family member or friend. But even this seems unlikely in my opinion.

idkwhatnametake

• Nov 13, 2021
    I would try to call your point of contact at the firm today to see if they are working today/tomorrow/Friday, as I think it would be best to flag this to them as soon as possible.

The more notice they have, the more likely they will be able to consider this. It might be that the person who would make the decision on this is not back until the new year, but flagging this as early as possible is the best approach to take, so even trying to contact them this week could work in your favour.

If you are not from the UK and would need sponsorship to live/work in the UK, just be mindful that there could be implications for your student/graduate visa (what you were expecting to stay in the UK on whilst studying), and also any implications for how this could impact your work visa. It might be worthwhile getting your head around this ahead of the conversation with the firm.

If it is an MC firm, there is a reasonable chance they will be able to defer you just due to their trainee intake size. However, it is going to depend on how well subscribed the trainee intake you are looking to move to is, and whether anyone in that intake is looking to move, and also whether the firm is operating some form of waiting list. You may also find that they have to defer you for 12 months rather than 6, and so be prepared to think about what you'd be happy to defer based on these timeframes rather than 6 months.

I don't think you will need to provide evidence of your Dad's illness - its highly unlikely a firm will request this because its data that is not about them or you. At best they could ask for someone to verify the circumstances - for instance getting written confirmation from another family member or friend. But even this seems unlikely in my opinion.
    Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for your message. I will look to contact my firm ASAP to see what is available.

Thankfully I fall under the EU settlement scheme so I do not require a visa but thank you for pointing it out. It is indeed a MC firm so I guess you are right in that the intake size may play in my favour. While I am not looking to defer by 12 months it is better than nothing and I believe will allow me to have some flexibility during my dad's recovery as well as being able to enter the SQE with the right mindset.

Once again, thank you for your message - it is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.