Addleshaw Goddard Application

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Does anyone else absolutely HATE the Addleshaw Goddard application form?!
There's no opportunity to say ANYTHING on it. The only want your work experience for the three years which just completely excludes older people who have more experience over a longer period of time. You don't even get to explain your work experience or say anything about your role or responsibilities. The questions are absurd - telling us what their best feature is and then asking what their best feature is. Either you look like the moron who thinks you know the firm better than they do or you're the moron repeating the question - is there are way to answer that question without looking stupid?! Unless I'm missing it, there's no opportunity to talk about mitigating circumstances, they only accept certain disabilities as credible - mine is a pretty mainstream, well-known and debilitating physical disability but it's not on their list.
I really like the firm but their application form alone has made me genuinely consider not applying to them. Am I the only one?

• 📥
Reactions: Liam Callaghan and NadineBusty

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Does anyone else absolutely HATE the Addleshaw Goddard application form?!
    There's no opportunity to say ANYTHING on it. The only want your work experience for the three years which just completely excludes older people who have more experience over a longer period of time. You don't even get to explain your work experience or say anything about your role or responsibilities. The questions are absurd - telling us what their best feature is and then asking what their best feature is. Either you look like the moron who thinks you know the firm better than they do or you're the moron repeating the question - is there are way to answer that question without looking stupid?! Unless I'm missing it, there's no opportunity to talk about mitigating circumstances, they only accept certain disabilities as credible - mine is a pretty mainstream, well-known and debilitating physical disability but it's not on their list.
    I really like the firm but their application form alone has made me genuinely consider not applying to them. Am I the only one?

I can't speak to the work experience section, but are the questions not:

- Why do you wish to pursue a career at AG?
    - Outline a current legal issue
    - How would you recommend AG to a new client?
    - Is there additional information you would like to disclose?

These seem like fairly standard questions to me. If there's no separate mitigating circumstances section, you can add it to the last question.

If you're referring to the overlap between the first and third question, the first will be more focused on why you are applying (including linking the points back to you where appropriate), whereas the third will be more about your commercial awareness (can you understand what differentiates AG in the market and how would you pitch this to a new client?). There will be some overlap here, but the third question is far more descriptive.

Reactions: IntrepidL, S87 and Dannys

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    @Jaysen I'm referring to the third question where they state that collaboration is their most important quality - then they ask how you would describe them. Like I said, either you say exactly what they've said in the question and look like an idiot for repeating the question, or you describe them differently to how they've described themselves and your the one disagreeing with a firm about their own USP. Either way, surely you look stupid. If the question were as you've written it then it would be a very simple question.
    Regarding the mitigating circumstances, 200 words is often not enough for people with complex needs and it doesn't seem fair that people with disabilities have to use that opportunity to explain themselves whilst able-bodied people can use it to highlight good things about themselves.
    I maintain that it's absurd under the work experience section to want to know the employer, job title and dates and there to be zero opportunity to say your actual role or responsibilities - in this section if you volunteered for Citizens' Advice for one hour a week for two years, that looks significantly more impressive than volunteering for Citizens' Advice full time for a year. Job titles like "Supervisor", "Volunteer", "Assistant Manager" mean absolutely nothing without an opportunity to explain them.
    And, you've completely ignored the fact that they only accept certain disabilities as valid disabilities.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    @anulciak7 At the end of their application form, it asks if you have a disability. If you do then it asks you to select your disability from a drop-down list. Not everything is on the list but there's no way of saying that - you have to either lie and say you have a condition that you don't have or lie and say you're not disabled.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    @LegalNim
    If you like, I've made a successful application to Addleshaw Goddard, which I would be more than happy to share :) For the third question, I remember talking about the firm's Client Development Centre and AG Integrate.
    Hi, I just wanted to ask, did you apply directly for a TC and made it past the application stage? Because on their website they state that they prefer candidates who go through their VS first, so I don't know if it's even worth it to spend time on this if like 1% makes it through the direct application.

Also, I would be interested in reading your application as well please!

Future_lawyer_somewhere

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 4, 2019
    Hey, I had a rejection via the portal (didn't get a direct email) a couple of weeks ago for a direct TC. Hope that helps, it's only good news that you haven't heard yet! ;)

I’ve just checked & unfortunately unsuccessful. Either way an automated email would at least have been kind.

Seems very silly not to update candidates - even if no feedback returned considering the length of application. Thanks for letting me know the check the portal!

Reactions: ath120

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hi! for this year's application, there is question about D+I: Diversity and Inclusion has moved up the agenda in recent years, what action should law firms be taking to ensure that they are creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace?
    Should I be giving ideas that AG is not currently implementing? Or, as they don't actually mention the firm in the question, should I be giving generic advice that would apply to any law firm?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.