Addleshaw Goddard Question

D

Deleted member 69

Can anyone give any insight into possible responses to the following question:

Please choose a current legal issue that interests you and describe how it affects/may affect the current legal market? (300 words)

I tend to shy away from technology/AI in these questions as I feel like I would be setting myself up to fail if I did end up getting an interview as tech is not an area that comes naturally to me. I would normally talk about growth of emerging markets or something similar in response to this sort of question, but it doesn't quite fit with the wording "legal issue". Would appreciate your thoughts!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    How would you define legal issue? I would think most of technology/AI would be more of a commercial issue. However, my interpretation does limit what comes under "legal issues" a fair bit, so I may be wrong on this.

Here are some ideas about factors affecting law firms now on this definition:

Legal issue
    AI/tech (e.g. if you focused on the legal ramifications of having AI as a legal services provider)
    Emerging markets (I imagine this would fit if say you focused on legislation restricting law firms from operating in particular jurisdictions)
    Cybersecurity
    Banking regulations e.g. ringfencing
    Bank scandals e.g. manipulation of LIBOR
    Brexit e.g. financial services firms losing passporting rights or amending/revoking EU legislation
    Alternative Business Structures
    GDPR/data regulation
    Saudi Aramco IPO

Commercial Issue
    AI/tech
    Cybersecurity (both)
    Brexit (both)
    Legal tech
    US firms and competition
    NewLaw
    Agile working
    Alternative fee arrangements
    Talent
    Outsourcing work
    Emerging markets
    Diversity
    Efficiency/process improvement
    Investment in US
    Topical news stories: Chinese trade war/GDPR/rising interest rates/US stock market sell off etc.

• 🏆
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: anulciak7, Alla, CT and 4 others

SJamal

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    Would ring-fencing still fall under "current legal issue" since the Banking Reform Act was passed in 2013? Or Do you mean the long-term ramifications from ring-fencing affecting banks, hence, law firms expected to digest new regulatory rules?

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Would ring-fencing still fall under "current legal issue" since the Banking Reform Act was passed in 2013? Or Do you mean the long-term ramifications from ring-fencing affecting banks, hence, law firms expected to digest new regulatory rules?

I think it’s because the deadline to implement the regulation is January 2019. If I remember clearly, most banks only started taking steps to implement the regulation in 2017/2018.

Reactions: Jaysen

SJamal

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    For my AG application, I been really torn between ring-fencing and how it will affect the legal profession or Al tech. I’ve gone with Al tech and how it may affect the legal market mainly because AG have been making massive strides with clients relationships in this area in the last 2 years.

Josie

Aug 15, 2019
    What do you think they might be?

I think the obvious one is the uncertainty of Brexit, and how it will affect the operation of law firms and their clients' businesses.

Legal technology, particularly AI also remains significant particularly in the context of firms like Addleshaw Goddard who are at the forefront of technological developments, but I would be cautious to talk about this in a question such as the one in this thread for fear of being too generic.

Other issues I have thought about our the growing emergence of ABS and perhaps also the emergence of fintech which I thought would be quite relevant to AG as a firm with expertise in both financial services and technology but maybe not an issue massively affecting the legal market as a whole?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think the obvious one is the uncertainty of Brexit, and how it will affect the operation of law firms and their clients' businesses.

Legal technology, particularly AI also remains significant particularly in the context of firms like Addleshaw Goddard who are at the forefront of technological developments, but I would be cautious to talk about this in a question such as the one in this thread for fear of being too generic.

Other issues I have thought about our the growing emergence of ABS and perhaps also the emergence of fintech which I thought would be quite relevant to AG as a firm with expertise in both financial services and technology but maybe not an issue massively affecting the legal market as a whole?

I’d personally avoid ABS - people have been talking about that for over 10 years now in applications.

This question (whether yours or theirs) very specifically asks about 2019-20. To me I’d be looking at legislation passed in the UK in that period of time, things that will impact businesses like incoming budget policies etc.

Reactions: wwood

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi All,

I am struggling with this question too.

The problem as mentioned above is to define legal issue. The proposed topics seem to be too commercial

Should we focus on recent decisions taken by the Supreme Court that my affect commercial agreements?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All,

I am struggling with this question too.

The problem as mentioned above is to define legal issue. The proposed topics seem to be too commercial

Should we focus on recent decisions taken by the Supreme Court that my affect commercial agreements?

What are the recent decisions you mention? I am sure the Supreme Court makes many decisions on a regular basis.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    for example the one about nom clauses in Rock advertising case

The key part of this question is "that interests you" - whatever legal issue you choose, the vital part is it is something you can talk about with interest (and by default probably a level of knowledge of). If this particular case interested you, then you could use it but the focus has to be on why it interests you and how it has/will impact the legal market.

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Since I was struggling with my previous topic and because of my work in international arbitration, I decided to write about the partnership between DFIC-LCIA (dubai international financial centre and london court of international arbitration). I am focusing on the 10 yrs anniversary and why has become such a key legal arbitration hub. However, I am also trying to describe how it affected the UK legal market since medium size/National firms could not simply offer the same as leading city law firms. Do you think that it would be ok if I focused also how these firms had to redesign their international strategy and how they conquered a key spot. If this is ok, could you advise me where I can find the right info?
    I have completed the first part of my answer but I cannot find much on the second part.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Since I was struggling with my previous topic and because of my work in international arbitration, I decided to write about the partnership between DFIC-LCIA (dubai international financial centre and london court of international arbitration). I am focusing on the 10 yrs anniversary and why has become such a key legal arbitration hub. However, I am also trying to describe how it affected the UK legal market since medium size/National firms could not simply offer the same as leading city law firms. Do you think that it would be ok if I focused also how these firms had to redesign their international strategy and how they conquered a key spot. If this is ok, could you advise me where I can find the right info?
    I have completed the first part of my answer but I cannot find much on the second part.

Thank you very much for your help.

key word search on AGs website:

https://www.addleshawgoddard.com/gl...al-arbitration-quarterly-review-july-2016.pdf

lots of other info in their later quarterly IA reviews

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    How would you define legal issue? I would think most of technology/AI would be more of a commercial issue. However, my interpretation does limit what comes under "legal issues" a fair bit, so I may be wrong on this.

Here are some ideas about factors affecting law firms now on this definition:

Legal issue
    AI/tech (e.g. if you focused on the legal ramifications of having AI as a legal services provider)
    Emerging markets (I imagine this would fit if say you focused on legislation restricting law firms from operating in particular jurisdictions)
    Cybersecurity
    Banking regulations e.g. ringfencing
    Bank scandals e.g. manipulation of LIBOR
    Brexit e.g. financial services firms losing passporting rights or amending/revoking EU legislation
    Alternative Business Structures
    GDPR/data regulation
    Saudi Aramco IPO

Commercial Issue
    AI/tech
    Cybersecurity (both)
    Brexit (both)
    Legal tech
    US firms and competition
    NewLaw
    Agile working
    Alternative fee arrangements
    Talent
    Outsourcing work
    Emerging markets
    Diversity
    Efficiency/process improvement
    Investment in US
    Topical news stories: Chinese trade war/GDPR/rising interest rates/US stock market sell off etc.

Apologies, if I sound ignorant. But Libor and ringfencing seem to be more regulatory issues rather than strictly legal.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Apologies, if I sound ignorant. But Libor and ringfencing seem to be more regulatory issues rather than strictly legal.

No problem, I think it depends on how broadly you interpret 'legal issues'. I'd class new regulations as legal issues. (Although at the time, with LIBOR, I was actually referring to the legal consequences for banks who manipulated the rate.)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.