Advice for LLM Personal Statements

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I am currently studying LLM at UCL, and I have previously offered to share tips on writing the personal statement, as well as my own personal statement, in this thread https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/llm-personal-statement.2278/#post-42366.

Considering the overwhelming number of requests I keep on receiving, I thought it would be easier to share it here for everyone to access!

In terms of guidance, I think what you write into your personal statements depends greatly on your background/experience/reasons why you want to study LLM and whether you have a specific interest in some area of law.

I have separated my personal statement into the following sections:
    1. why I want to study at UCL;
    2. why I am a great candidate (great if it links to something that happens at UCL as shows what you can bring to the community, e.g. my interest in LWOW);
    3. what I want to study when I come there, proposed research essay topic and how it links with my career aspirations;
    4. conclusion where I show why I am a great fit for the LLM.
    I believe there was some guidance from UCL on what they wanted you to include - specifically the research essay area and modules you are interested in. Remember that these modules and research essay area are not binding in any way, and you will be able to select whatever modules you like once you start!

This was my approach to personal statement, but if you are for example very interested in one area, or something about UCL Laws, you can spend more time writing about that. It really person-specific, but I think the general sections I have outlined above should be there!

I have also attached a redacted version of my LLM Personal Statement, as I got a lot of requests to share this as well.

Hope this helps!

Karin

Attachments

• KP_LLM_PS - Redacted.pdf
      60.6 KB · Views: 747

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    Hi @Karin would you recommend sticking to the 3000 character free text box on the UCL application or writing something a bit longer and uploading it? The application doesn't seem to have a clear preference and I'm questioning whether it would be more beneficial to write something shorter and more concise but I feel like I should use all the space they give by uploading a longer statement

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi @Karin would you recommend sticking to the 3000 character free text box on the UCL application or writing something a bit longer and uploading it? The application doesn't seem to have a clear preference and I'm questioning whether it would be more beneficial to write something shorter and more concise but I feel like I should use all the space they give by uploading a longer statement

When I was applying back in 2019, I think the limit was 3000 characters and there was no option to upload a longer piece of work - my personal statement was 2940 characters. I think it is really up to you, but as they suggest majority of candidates upload their personal statement, then I would do that. In terms of the length, I would probably try to stick to the size of a cover letter (1 - 1.5 pages max, cca 800 words) - but this will depend on what you have to say. Just make sure that you are saying everything you want to say (ticking all the boxes), and you are not unnecessarily writing more just for the sake of it.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: ibs97

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    When I was applying back in 2019, I think the limit was 3000 characters and there was no option to upload a longer piece of work - my personal statement was 2940 characters. I think it is really up to you, but as they suggest majority of candidates upload their personal statement, then I would do that. In terms of the length, I would probably try to stick to the size of a cover letter (1 - 1.5 pages max, cca 800 words) - but this will depend on what you have to say. Just make sure that you are saying everything you want to say (ticking all the boxes), and you are not unnecessarily writing more just for the sake of it.

ok awesome thank you!

James Michael

Jul 1, 2019
    Hi Ibs,

Regarding this point, I don't think it matters. When I applied (2020 LLM), I attached my PS via a Microsoft word document as I found this easier to add everything I wanted to say. UCL ask for a 'size 12 font and no longer than two sides of A4' - I tried to utilise both pages, but I felt I needed this. I wouldn't use this if you don't need to. I agree with Karin above - tick the boxes, but also remember to make it personal. :D

• ℹ️
    Reactions: ibs97

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi Ibs,

Regarding this point, I don't think it matters. When I applied (2020 LLM), I attached my PS via a Microsoft word document as I found this easier to add everything I wanted to say. UCL ask for a 'size 12 font and no longer than two sides of A4' - I tried to utilise both pages, but I felt I needed this. I wouldn't use this if you don't need to. I agree with Karin above - tick the boxes, but also remember to make it personal. :D

Yes, exactly agree! There are some questions on the LLM application page where they tell you what they want to hear from you. But as James says, mention all these things but make sure to explain why YOU want to be at UCL and why YOU would be a good fit!

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    When it comes to entering key responsibilities in the employment section, is it better to bullet point my main responsibilities and expand on them briefly? Or is it better to write a paragraph explaining my key responsibilities and giving a more in-depth explanation of the work I did? Many Thanks :)

XARA

Esteemed Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    hey guys, applying for the LLM at Durham! Was wondering if anyone could please send me any successful LLM personal statements (regardless of uni) for some inspiration! Also, am I late in the application cycle?!:confused:

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    hey guys, applying for the LLM at Durham! Was wondering if anyone could please send me any successful LLM personal statements (regardless of uni) for some inspiration! Also, am I late in the application cycle?!:confused:
    You are not late at all! When I applied, I applied in the second half of February I believe and they were accepting application long into April/May. It depends on the year and how many people apply, but I think as long as you get it in by the end of February/March you should be fine!

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    When it comes to entering key responsibilities in the employment section, is it better to bullet point my main responsibilities and expand on them briefly? Or is it better to write a paragraph explaining my key responsibilities and giving a more in-depth explanation of the work I did? Many Thanks :)
    Where they don't provide specific guidance, I always recommend going for full sentences rather than using bullet points, as it allows you to showcase your ability to write well and in a concise manner. I also think it shows that you took your time with the application!

Reactions: Law2022

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.