Advice for summer plans

b00k

Standard Member
Jun 26, 2022
Hi, I'm a 2nd year going into 3rd year this October. I did my work experience as a paralegal in a firm in Easter and now I'm travelling in Korea until I get back to the UK in October. I can't get any work experience abroad, but I want to find something to do that I can mention during interviews so that my 2nd year summer doesn't look like a complete gap in time. I'm planning on applying for a remote internship.

Whilst abroad I'm going to do research for my dissertation, but I also want to develop my soft skills and Korean language ability, so I was thinking of doing volunteering and framing my travels in a productive light. Would this be enough to say that I've done something over the summer, or would firms look at this negatively?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You could do no volunteering at all and your trip to Korea could still be seen as a positive. You haven’t had a “gap”, you have gone travelling. There are plenty of positives and skills you can demonstrate by doing that.

Obviously doing something like volunteering or a remote internship is great but you’ve got plenty of time to do that not during the summer. You could wait until you are back in the U.K. and do some of the work experience programmes on platforms like Forage for example.

Bur don’t feel like going to Korea for a summer break is going to be looked at negatively. It really won’t be the case.

Reactions: Jaysen

b00k

Standard Member
Jun 26, 2022
You could do no volunteering at all and your trip to Korea could still be seen as a positive. You haven’t had a “gap”, you have gone travelling. There are plenty of positives and skills you can demonstrate by doing that.

Obviously doing something like volunteering or a remote internship is great but you’ve got plenty of time to do that not during the summer. You could wait until you are back in the U.K. and do some of the work experience programmes on platforms like Forage for example.

Bur don’t feel like going to Korea for a summer break is going to be looked at negatively. It really won’t be the case.
Ohh okay, thank you for your help reassuring me again! I'll wait until I get back to the UK for the work experience then :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.