Advice on starting LLM SQE exactly a year before TC

comfweb23

Oct 14, 2019
I have a TC starting in Sept 2025 where I would need a Skilled Worker Visa. The firm gave me an option to start the LLM SQE at Uni of Law in Sept 2024 which I then chose. 2 months ago, Grad Rec told me that I'd have to start the course in March 2024 instead. Their reason is due to the uncertainty of exam results, so the firm is looking to get ahead of any potential hiccups by asking all international students to complete the SQE earlier, this would allow an onboarding period where all visa elements can be completed. This avoids the risk any trainees not being able to start on their proposed start date

It is very important for me to stick to my original plan of starting the SQE in Sept 2024 due to personal, family + financial reasons (something distressing happened to my family this year so I had made plans to travel in summer 2024 to be with family. this situation has also impacted my financial situation, warranting a need for me to continue my current employment until next Sept).

I was wondering if there was any way around this? From my understanding, other firms have allowed international students to start their LLM SQE in September the year before the start of the TC...

any help would be very much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think you have to be mindful that if you stick with your current plan, you might not be able to start your TC until 6 or 12 months later than is currently planned, and you will need to take into account the financial implications of this too.

I would recommend reaching out to your firm and asking them to discuss this with you given your particular set of circumstances. What other firms are doing will have little cross over to what this particular firm can/cannot do.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.