Allen and Overy Application

Mishal

Standard Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi! I am going to apply for A&O's training contract or vacation scheme this year. Considering that I am a graduate student now, what should I apply for? Is there a greater chance of securing one than the other or a vacation scheme is a route to TC?

• ℹ️
Reactions: Hugh

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
Not sure if you are allowed to apply for the Vacation Scheme as it says the applicant has to be a penultimate or final year student. However, you can apply for the Training Contract as per normal and you input all three years of studies and grades at degree level.

Good luck :)

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
Aug 21, 2018
Just to follow up, it appears that this year graduates are eligible for the Allen and Overy Vacation Scheme.

From my previous experience as a graduate applying, I think it depends on your preference and personal strengths. If you were not sure you have a solid amount of legal and commercial experience to really explain why you should gain a training contract (That was my personal challenge), then I would say go for VS. It is great experience regardless and although tough can be rewarding.

If you feel like you want to prioritise getting TC offer, go for the direct route but just ensure that it is a strong application, and you've had some contact with the firm via open days or events. Hope this helps and best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.