Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just another comment on this:

If you are choosing a very technical topic for this question, it's important to make sure the reader can still understand your topic and explanation, assuming the reader has little background knowledge about your chosen area.

If I read a topic and I find it too hard to follow your analysis, I don't find that impressive. It only tells me that you are unable to clearly explain a complex topic, which is obviously a crucial skill for a commercial lawyer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just another comment on this:

If you are choosing a very technical topic for this question, it's important to make sure the reader can still understand your topic and explanation, assuming the reader has little background knowledge about your chosen area.

If I read a topic and I find it too hard to follow your analysis, I don't find that impressive. It only tells me that you are unable to clearly explain a complex topic, which is obviously a crucial skill for a commercial lawyer.

Considering most people reading your application and deciding whether to shortlist it or not are not lawyers, this is incredibly important.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry to be a pain - does anyone have a list of what other questions are to the A&O vac scheme application? I can't access them before inputting all of my other data in the application portal...
    • Describe a challenging situation you have faced, what made it challenging, how did you respond and what did you learn in the process? (250 words)
    • As the world of law evolves, adaptability is a crucial attribute for future lawyers to have. Describe a time you had to demonstrate adaptability to reach a positive outcome. What role did you play in the scenario and what was the outcome? Did you do anything you would consider innovative as part of the solution. (250 words)

• Please bullet point anything else you’d like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. (100 word limit)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JJP and Jessica Booker

anon32323232

Star Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    • Describe a challenging situation you have faced, what made it challenging, how did you respond and what did you learn in the process? (250 words)
    • As the world of law evolves, adaptability is a crucial attribute for future lawyers to have. Describe a time you had to demonstrate adaptability to reach a positive outcome. What role did you play in the scenario and what was the outcome? Did you do anything you would consider innovative as part of the solution. (250 words)

• Please bullet point anything else you’d like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. (100 word limit)
    Amazing - Thanks so much Jaysen!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    For the "introduce a new law" question I have written about the pet food industry (I have previously worked for a pet company) so it's something I find interesting and have direct experience in. However, my university careers advisor told me to scrap it as it has nothing to do with A&O and said I should choose something linking to the firm and their practices. I understand this point but thought because the question doesn't specifically refer to a new law in relation to A&O the firm was looking for people's own interests/a chance to see applicants' personality?

I am torn between keeping my current answer and trying to think of something relating to A&O - any advice?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    For the "introduce a new law" question I have written about the pet food industry (I have previously worked for a pet company) so it's something I find interesting and have direct experience in. However, my university careers advisor told me to scrap it as it has nothing to do with A&O and said I should choose something linking to the firm and their practices. I understand this point but thought because the question doesn't specifically refer to a new law in relation to A&O the firm was looking for people's own interests/a chance to see applicants' personality?

I am torn between keeping my current answer and trying to think of something relating to A&O - any advice?
    Hey there,

I think there are a few great ways to answer this:

1. Speak about something commercial to show your interest and knowledge in this (provided this can be done well, written in simple terms and justified as a genuine interest)
    2. Pick something relevant to A&O and their clients (kind of an extension of the above but felt it warranted a mention!)
    3. Pick something which tells A&O who you are and what you are about

You seem to have picked the third one and I see no issue in this at all. I can sort of see why careers advisers may be tempted to advise you to ere on the side of caution but I do not think that is a necessary thing to do here.

To give you some support for this, whilst another firm, HSF have asked people to discuss topics of interest for a couple of cycles at least and at my AC we had SUCH a variety - one girl spoke about gin, one guy talked about football and someone else's had a medical angle.

I think the personality-driven responses could arguably be the most interesting and a good app is one that will be memorable. If you have written this in a convincing and engaging way and it really emanates your personality, I truly see no issue at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

A&O will have clients who make/supply pet food (can think of Nestle as one). So the careers service is wrong...

• ℹ️
    Reactions: em311

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    Hey there,

I think there are a few great ways to answer this:

1. Speak about something commercial to show your interest and knowledge in this (provided this can be done well, written in simple terms and justified as a genuine interest)
    2. Pick something relevant to A&O and their clients (kind of an extension of the above but felt it warranted a mention!)
    3. Pick something which tells A&O who you are and what you are about

You seem to have picked the third one and I see no issue in this at all. I can sort of see why careers advisers may be tempted to advise you to ere on the side of caution but I do not think that is a necessary thing to do here.

To give you some support for this, whilst another firm, HSF have asked people to discuss topics of interest for a couple of cycles at least and at my AC we had SUCH a variety - one girl spoke about gin, one guy talked about football and someone else's had a medical angle.

I think the personality-driven responses could arguably be the most interesting and a good app is one that will be memorable. If you have written this in a convincing and engaging way and it really emanates your personality, I truly see no issue at all.

Thank you for your reply! Yes I understand where they’re coming from but I thought it was an interesting topic that perhaps wouldn’t be on many applications! It’s good to hear that there was a variation at your AC so I’m more hopeful now! Thank you Alice☺️

Reactions: Alice G

Lawgrad98

Jul 23, 2019
    'If you could introduce a new law what would it be and why? (250 words)'

Would it be advisable to answer the 'what' part before answering 'why', or is it fine to do it in reverse order? I feel that speaking about the 'why' part first helps my answer flow better and sets a good background before I speak about what the law is.

Thanks!

Reactions: Alice G

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Would it be advisable to answer the 'what' part before answering 'why', or is it fine to do it in reverse order? I feel that speaking about the 'why' part first helps my answer flow better and sets a good background before I speak about what the law is.

Thanks!

Sounds fine to me :)

Reactions: Lawgrad98

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Thanks!
    I agree with @Jaysen - no hard and fast rules and prioritising the way an answer flows and reads is often a good approach to take :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, has anyone done A&O's SJT? Do you have any tips on how to prepare for it?

cant really prep for SJTs - my advice is to look at the firms values and what they look for in trainees as this will give you some indication of the type of behaviours expected of people in the firm. But even that has to be taken fairly loosely.

H.N.

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 22
    Jul 28, 2020
    Hi, has anyone done A&O's SJT? Do you have any tips on how to prepare for it?
    Like what Jessica said, the SJT can't really be prepared for. If you have an idea of the competencies A&O are looking for, these would be helpful to have by your side but to the greatest extent the SJT is something intuitive.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.