Allen & Overy to merge with Shearman & Sterling!

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    As reported by The Lawyer just now, A&O and Shearman have agreed to merge. This comes off the failed merger talks between Shearman and Hogan Lovells.

A&O will be the first magic circle firm to secure a foothold in the US market with a merger. I will be reviewing this development in this week’s Business of Law Firms, but needless to say this is one of the biggest and most exciting developments in the legal sector!

Reactions: Jaysen and SS1

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    That’s a good question. Off the top of my head my thinking is that there are loads of other competitors such that the merger isn’t going to compromise supply of legal services to clients.

The size of the firm after the merger is still smaller than Kirkland and Latham, so it’s not like it creates some mega firm. Though I will look into this in more detail and post a more substantive reply in the next couple of days.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jake, completely agree that this is huge. Can you explain how this isn’t going to be a competition/ antitrust issue?
    Given how many law firms there are both in the U.K. and the US, and the market share both firms have actually being relatively small in terms of the total market, I can’t see this being an issue.

trinerin

Premium Member
    Dec 30, 2022
    As reported by The Lawyer just now, A&O and Shearman have agreed to merge. This comes off the failed merger talks between Shearman and Hogan Lovells.

A&O will be the first magic circle firm to secure a foothold in the US market with a merger. I will be reviewing this development in this week’s Business of Law Firms, but needless to say this is one of the biggest and most exciting developments in the legal sector!
    Hi Jake, really intrigued to read more about your thoughts on this. Could you possibly direct a newcomer as to how best to find your latest issue of 'Business of Law Firms'. Fascinated to read about any developments you've had the chance to explore.

Thanks!
    Trinity

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    Hi Jake, really intrigued to read more about your thoughts on this. Could you possibly direct a newcomer as to how best to find your latest issue of 'Business of Law Firms'. Fascinated to read about any developments you've had the chance to explore.

Thanks!
    Trinity
    Hi Trinity,

Thanks for your reply! I am tagging @Erin, who ensures I keep my posts in order (thanks Erin!) — @Erin, could we please direct Trinity to all the posts we've made about the Allen & Overy and Shearman & Sterling merger talks?

Reactions: Erin

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020

Thanks!
    Trinity
    Hi Trinity, here are the two TBLF articles that have covered the A&O/Shearman merger talks so far:

Reactions: Jaysen

Erin

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Operations
    Jul 13, 2022
    Hi Trinity,

Thanks for your reply! I am tagging @Erin, who ensures I keep my posts in order (thanks Erin!) — @Erin, could we please direct Trinity to all the posts we've made about the Allen & Overy and Shearman & Sterling merger talks?

Thanks Jake! 😊

Hi @trinerin, you can find Jake's articles on the Allen & Overy and Shearman & Sterling merger talks here and here.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! 😊

Reactions: Jake Rickman

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.