Mini Series: Business of Law Firms - Allen & Overy to merge with Shearman & Sterling

Date
24 May 2023

Joeelijah

Jun 23, 2023
Do these mergers ever have any actual significance for firms’ London offices?

In the case of A&O they’ve previously opened up in Boston so it’s clear there’sa push into the US.. huge opportunities for work with USA tech clients, IP.. but how does that affect things in the UK? I’d be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts

Reactions: Erin

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022

In the case of A&O they’ve previously opened up in Boston so it’s clear there’sa push into the US.. huge opportunities for work with USA tech clients, IP.. but how does that affect things in the UK? I’d be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts
    I think it’s bad news for Shearman’s London office I’m afraid. They are smaller teams paid more to do the same work that A&O does. Many lawyers at Shearman have already jumped. Potentially the same applies to A&O in NY, I doubt they would add anything to the much bigger and more regarded Shearman office there. In other areas a consolidation of both firms will likely lead to the loss of some lawyers and more support staff, such is the nature of mergers. The deal has to be voted through first!

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020

It is relevant insofar as you may be expected to discuss challenges and opportunities facing the legal sector. Being able to explain the commercial drivers behind the deal signifies that you are engaged with the industry.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.