Am I currently competitive for high city firms?

success2803

New Member
Sep 30, 2026
1
0
Hello, I’m 18 and currently an undergraduate studying English and History at Warwick. I’m aiming to work in a big city firm, but I don’t feel I’m the most competitive candidate.

My GCSEs were good- I got all 9s. But for A-levels (due to extenuating circumstances, and bad grade boundaries) I got ABB. My subject choices were History, Drama and English Literature, and I know Drama is also not the strongest choice.

As well as that, I’m going to a good university, but it isn’t a high target uni I think, and I’m not even doing law. I don’t know if having to do a conversion course will hold me back.

I’m already looking at insight schemes and work experience I can apply to to add to my Linkedin, and I know getting a 1st class is one of the best things I can work towards right now, but do you think I am a competitive candidate right now with my current stats?

And how can I make myself better?

PS, I do have a justification for Drama, I was hoping it’d help my public speaking skills and ability to understand people’s psychology/emotions better- which I was hoping would help me if I was to ever become a barrister.
 
Hello, I’m 18 and currently an undergraduate studying English and History at Warwick. I’m aiming to work in a big city firm, but I don’t feel I’m the most competitive candidate.

My GCSEs were good- I got all 9s. But for A-levels (due to extenuating circumstances, and bad grade boundaries) I got ABB. My subject choices were History, Drama and English Literature, and I know Drama is also not the strongest choice.

As well as that, I’m going to a good university, but it isn’t a high target uni I think, and I’m not even doing law. I don’t know if having to do a conversion course will hold me back.

I’m already looking at insight schemes and work experience I can apply to to add to my Linkedin, and I know getting a 1st class is one of the best things I can work towards right now, but do you think I am a competitive candidate right now with my current stats?

And how can I make myself better?

PS, I do have a justification for Drama, I was hoping it’d help my public speaking skills and ability to understand people’s psychology/emotions better- which I was hoping would help me if I was to ever become a barrister.

Hey! Welcome to TCLA :)

Yes, you are competitive. You'll notice some firms have minimum A-level requirements, so you'll want to be mindful of those, but there are many that don't care about A-levels.

Warwick is also an excellent university. If you get a first class, this will stand out.

PS: Don't worry too much about choosing Drama. There's nothing wrong with your subject choice!
 

Find member