Any other career changers?

GlorzG

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2022
Hey everyone!

I am a career changer looking to successfully apply for a training contract this year. Is there anyone else who is a career changer?

Perhaps we can set up a Whatsapp group to encourage and learn from one another. I know the struggle is hard especially when working fulltime/studying parttime.

:)

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hey!

I'm a career changer too, currently in my second seat of my TC.

My main tip would be to really emphasise your experience and skills. Law firms are ultimately businesses so if you can show your understanding and experience it goes a long way! Think of the skills you have that can't be taught, only learned (i actually used that phrase in my application). Firm dependant of course but I found that they were very much looking at what you could bring to the table outside of legal practice and academia. Working in and managing teams, business development, performance improvement and self reflection and evaluation were some of my highlights.

Welcome to TCLA!

GlorzG

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2022
Hey!

I'm a career changer too, currently in my second seat of my TC.

My main tip would be to really emphasise your experience and skills. Law firms are ultimately businesses so if you can show your understanding and experience it goes a long way! Think of the skills you have that can't be taught, only learned (i actually used that phrase in my application). Firm dependant of course but I found that they were very much looking at what you could bring to the table outside of legal practice and academia. Working in and managing teams, business development, performance improvement and self reflection and evaluation were some of my highlights.

Welcome to TCLA!
Wow, thank you soo much! These are really great tips :)

GlorzG

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2022
Hello!

This is exactly the thread I was looking for. Did you set up the WhatsApp group?

I'm trying to make my way to a TC whilst working full time in a completely unrelated field, so am eager to speak to any successful career changers out there / team up with applicants in my same position.
I will DM you now!

Not2late22

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2022
Hey, I’m also a career changer trying to do applications while working in an unrelated field. Finding it hard to know how many applications to do while remaining realistic about the time commitment I have!

Would love to join a WhatsApp group :)

Reactions: GlorzG

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.