Any views on this question

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I'm trying to answer a question about taking responsibility and what i did. The second part then goes on to ask how you measured success. not quite sure what it's get at?? Can anyone help

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
Feb 28, 2018
Talk about when you took on a particular responsibility. What did you do and how did you measure your success

It sounds like it's getting at the fact that there can be different measures. It could be success based on a financial metric like sales, success as in feedback from a boss or success as in the satisfaction of doing a good job.

Reactions: CF and Salma

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
This question is similar to the 'tell us about your greatest achievement' question. My top tips on answering this:

1. Have a clear structure. Focus on 3 action points within the STAR approach.
2. Don't explicitly state skills. Show them through the responsibilities that you have undertaken.
3. Ensure that you include quantifiable results. Avoid saying 'I conducted workshops for students.' How many workshops did you host? How many attendees were there? What was the workshop based on? What was the impact? Did you receive any positive feedback?
4. Another great way to measure success is to highlight the emotional response - did you help your team reduce stress by motivating them? did you provide a unique idea to solve a problem.
5. While discussing skills is important, try not to overdo this. I would recommend sticking to 2-3 skills at most.
6. Be clear about your role and its significance if your answer is a team-based example.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This question is similar to the 'tell us about your greatest achievement' question. My top tips on answering this:

1. Have a clear structure. Focus on 3 action points within the STAR approach.
    2. Don't explicitly state skills. Show them through the responsibilities that you have undertaken.
    3. Ensure that you include quantifiable results. Avoid saying 'I conducted workshops for students.' How many workshops did you host? How many attendees were there? What was the workshop based on? What was the impact? Did you receive any positive feedback?
    4. Another great way to measure success is to highlight the emotional response - did you help your team reduce stress by motivating them? did you provide a unique idea to solve a problem.
    5. While discussing skills is important, try not to overdo this. I would recommend sticking to 2-3 skills at most.
    6. Be clear about your role and its significance if your answer is a team-based example.

Please listen to Maimoona - her competency answers were fantastic!

Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.