Application for tc/ vs as an international

Peter Hsu

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 9, 2023
Hi folks. I am an international who is now doing a pgdl in London. I previously attended an RG uni in London and got a first in classics.

I am on track to secure a tc. But the thing is, I haven't got anything at all yet - no vs let alone tc. I believe I have a good background, a first in classics, three law-related work experiences. I also have all my applications reviewed by the careers people and TCLA before submission.

I appreciate it is extremely competitive to get a vs or tc nowadays at a city firm, I wonder if there is anything to my position as an international.

Does the requirement for visa sponsorship discourage employers from offering me anything at all? Thanks so much.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi folks. I am an international who is now doing a pgdl in London. I previously attended an RG uni in London and got a first in classics.

I am on track to secure a tc. But the thing is, I haven't got anything at all yet - no vs let alone tc. I believe I have a good background, a first in classics, three law-related work experiences. I also have all my applications reviewed by the careers people and TCLA before submission.

I appreciate it is extremely competitive to get a vs or tc nowadays at a city firm, I wonder if there is anything to my position as an international.

Does the requirement for visa sponsorship discourage employers from offering me anything at all? Thanks so much.
Hey @Peter Hsu,

I totally understand your concerns but you have such a good background and I am sure any law firm will be happy to have you. I think it is important to focus on the positive aspects of your application!

Your international background, to some law firms, will actually play a positive role in them considering you for a position as you are bringing something new and positive to the table. I felt like my international background was a disadvantage too when I was applying (I do not have an undergraduate degree from a UK university), however it worked out in the end for me, so I am sure it will work out for you too!

Do not be discouraged and just apply to a variety of different firms and I am sure you will find the best law firm for you. Keep applying and good luck with everything!

Reactions: Peter Hsu

Peter Hsu

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 9, 2023
Hey @Peter Hsu,

I totally understand your concerns but you have such a good background and I am sure any law firm will be happy to have you. I think it is important to focus on the positive aspects of your application!

Your international background, to some law firms, will actually play a positive role in them considering you for a position as you are bringing something new and positive to the table. I felt like my international background was a disadvantage too when I was applying (I do not have an undergraduate degree from a UK university), however it worked out in the end for me, so I am sure it will work out for you too!

Do not be discouraged and just apply to a variety of different firms and I am sure you will find the best law firm for you. Keep applying and good luck with everything!
Hey @Peter Hsu,

Thanks so much for your answer! I wonder what firms will be interested in taking internationals? Do you happen to know any?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thanks so much for your answer! I wonder what firms will be interested in taking internationals? Do you happen to know any?
When I was applying I feel like US law firms will probably be drawn to international students more I guess. I was successful at Goodwin and Gibson Dunn for instance. But I did receive invitation to Dentons and other city law firms too. It is just about using your diverse experiences to fit the skills of a successful lawyer.

Reactions: Peter Hsu

Peter Hsu

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 9, 2023
When I was applying I feel like US law firms will probably be drawn to international students more I guess. I was successful at Goodwin and Gibson Dunn for instance. But I did receive invitation to Dentons and other city law firms too. It is just about using your diverse experiences to fit the skills of a successful lawyer.
Great! Thanks so much for your help! That really boosted my confidence.

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023

Hey Peter,

Thanks for sharing. As an international student myself, I completely understand your frustrations. It's hard not to wonder whether there are other social forces at play that are making it harder for you to succeed!

In my opinion (this can't be said about every firm but is more often the case than not), I don't believe that your background as an international student substantially affects your odds of success. This is particularly the case with larger firms with greater budgets and revenues, where they are very accustomed to sponsoring work visas and funding the SQE / GDL. There will certainly be some firms that have this preference; however, I think this is less common than you'd believe.

The only thing one can really do is focus on doing your very best through each phase of the process, and choose firms that value you. Given your experiences, I'm certain there will be several firms that will value your individual lived experiences! Lean into your differences, this is what makes you unique in an interview or application.

Good luck!

Peter Hsu

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    Hey Peter,

Thanks for sharing. As an international student myself, I completely understand your frustrations. It's hard not to wonder whether there are other social forces at play that are making it harder for you to succeed!

In my opinion (this can't be said about every firm but is more often the case than not), I don't believe that your background as an international student substantially affects your odds of success. This is particularly the case with larger firms with greater budgets and revenues, where they are very accustomed to sponsoring work visas and funding the SQE / GDL. There will certainly be some firms that have this preference; however, I think this is less common than you'd believe.

The only thing one can really do is focus on doing your very best through each phase of the process, and choose firms that value you. Given your experiences, I'm certain there will be several firms that will value your individual lived experiences! Lean into your differences, this is what makes you unique in an interview or application.

Good luck!
    Hi Aks. Thx for your encouragement. I just wonder what sort of firms will be happy to sponsor visas? Do you have any recommendations? Thanks so much.

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023
    Hi Aks. Thx for your encouragement. I just wonder what sort of firms will be happy to sponsor visas? Do you have any recommendations? Thanks so much.
    Hey! In case you have a specific firm in mind, this is a great question to ask to a firm. The firm's recruitment team are the best contact to clarify this with certainty. Sending an email to the recruitment team has no harm and will get you the closure you need! On a more practical level, though, I rarely come across large international firms that don't sponsor visas. This usually isn't a big concern for the larger firms. With some smaller, more local firms, I would consider reaching out to them. Either way, this should ideally not be a limiting belief, as it isn't widespread! Cheers.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Here is a list of firms:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/glob...fW?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....s-for-international-trainees.6617/post-164157

Hope that helps and I encourage you to keep applying! As an international student myself, I know the struggle of applying to law firms, trying to comply with the government visa requirements and university/work commitments. It is such a massive effort from our parts to do all of these at the same time, but this means that once we achieve our goals, the reward will be ten times higher.

Good luck with applications!

Peter Hsu

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    Here is a list of firms:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/glob...fW?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....s-for-international-trainees.6617/post-164157

Hope that helps and I encourage you to keep applying! As an international student myself, I know the struggle of applying to law firms, trying to comply with the government visa requirements and university/work commitments. It is such a massive effort from our parts to do all of these at the same time, but this means that once we achieve our goals, the reward will be ten times higher.

Good luck with applications!
    Thanks so much!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.