Application opening dates

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi guys,

Forgive me if this sounds pre-emptive, but with the deadline for most applications tomorrow, I was curious when most firms welcome applications again for 2022?

Couldn’t find much with a simple google so thought I’d ask those with some experience!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi guys,

Forgive me if this sounds pre-emptive, but with the deadline for most applications tomorrow, I was curious when most firms welcome applications again for 2022?

Couldn’t find much with a simple google so thought I’d ask those with some experience!
    You can never be too early in thinking about this, so don’t worry!

I think many firms open on 1st October based on last year but many firms are increasingly opening up their apps earlier (think A&O could be tomorrow but don’t quote me on that :D) so it’d be a good idea to look into evening events and open days maybe at the start to mid September if not a bit earlier to make sure you don’t miss out on crucial opportunities for the next cycle. Let me know if you have any other questions in terms of time frames and I can try and help based on my experience this year :)

Reactions: Lumree

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    You can never be too early in thinking about this, so don’t worry!

I think many firms open on 1st October based on last year but many firms are increasingly opening up their apps earlier (think A&O could be tomorrow but don’t quote me on that :D) so it’d be a good idea to look into evening events and open days maybe at the start to mid September if not a bit earlier to make sure you don’t miss out on crucial opportunities for the next cycle. Let me know if you have any other questions in terms of time frames and I can try and help based on my experience this year :)

Yep A&O is open very early this year!

Reactions: Lumree and S30

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    It opens today (1st August!)

I've always been fearful to apply to magic circle firms. I don't have stellar academic records (I still have what they're asking for though) and I am the first in my family to go to university and I went to a state school.

However, I might just go for it! I've always been interested in their work culture ever since I met a trainee in my first year of university. Do you think I should try and apply for some events before applying? Other than meeting the trainee, which was a few years ago, (I'm now doing the LPC) I don't really have any contact with the firm.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I've always been fearful to apply to magic circle firms. I don't have stellar academic records (I still have what they're asking for though) and I am the first in my family to go to university and I went to a state school.

However, I might just go for it! I've always been interested in their work culture ever since I met a trainee in my first year of university. Do you think I should try and apply for some events before applying? Other than meeting the trainee, which was a few years ago, (I'm now doing the LPC) I don't really have any contact with the firm.

Yep - anyone can research facts about a firm; I think going out of your way to meet them helps to demonstrate a genuine interest. I'd just check that any events are fairly early on in the application window (I imagine they will be).

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

For some reason I’ve had it in my head it’s the 31st today!! Yes you’re correct it is today :)

I’m also state educated and a first generation uni student and I honestly think people really appreciate that these days and see it as a nod to people wanting to pursue their goals and make a life for themselves! So please don’t feel deterred at all and at the end of the day if you’re the sort of person they feel is a good fit and if you’re motivated and can convincingly speak about why you like the firm at interview, you have just as much chance as anyone so absolutely go for it!!

Reactions: Jaysen

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    For some reason I’ve had it in my head it’s the 31st today!! Yes you’re correct it is today :)

I’m also state educated and a first generation uni student and I honestly think people really appreciate that these days and see it as a nod to people wanting to pursue their goals and make a life for themselves! So please don’t feel deterred at all and at the end of the day if you’re the sort of person they feel is a good fit and if you’re motivated and can convincingly speak about why you like the firm at interview, you have just as much chance as anyone so absolutely go for it!!

I'm going to have a go at the winter vacation scheme! Two birds with one stone if I can score there.

Thanks Alice!

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hey guys,

So I've made a start on the A&O application and where it is asking me to put in my grades, it's asking for all the exams I've ever sat. Would you actually put in each individual exams grade or just your overall grade for the subject? The trouble is I can't even remember each exam I sat for my GCSE's and I only have the transcripts which show my overall grade!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys,

So I've made a start on the A&O application and where it is asking me to put in my grades, it's asking for all the exams I've ever sat. Would you actually put in each individual exams grade or just your overall grade for the subject? The trouble is I can't even remember each exam I sat for my GCSE's and I only have the transcripts which show my overall grade!

I think asking for every exam is genuinely impossible! I sat my A levels and GCSEs a very long while ago! I’d imagine they just want the grades you attained in the subjects but I haven’t looked at this app yet (I also intend to apply :)) but perhaps someone else has gone through it before? Is there any way to screenshot the page for me to take a closer look? :)

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    It says as follows:

"Please input all the exams you have taken at Secondary Education from GCSE upwards and the grades you were awarded, including fails and resits. For non-UK qualifications please give the original results, not the UK equivalents.

The order that you enter your qualifications is not important, but you must ensure that you detail all of the exams you have sat and the grades you were awarded.

For any qualifications you have yet to complete, please enter them here along with your expected result(s) or enter N/A if unknown."

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much...

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    It says as follows:

"Please input all the exams you have taken at Secondary Education from GCSE upwards and the grades you were awarded, including fails and resits. For non-UK qualifications please give the original results, not the UK equivalents.

The order that you enter your qualifications is not important, but you must ensure that you detail all of the exams you have sat and the grades you were awarded.

For any qualifications you have yet to complete, please enter them here along with your expected result(s) or enter N/A if unknown."

No I don’t think you are - I think their wording could be better here still but I would read that as just inputting the grades you were ultimately awarded. When it says about resits etc, that’s where I’d be as specific as possible :) If you’re still a bit unsure though it’s always worthwhile emailing grad rec for these things as it also might flag up to them that the wording is a bit confused

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    No I don’t think you are - I think their wording could be better here still but I would read that as just inputting the grades you were ultimately awarded. When it says about resits etc, that’s where I’d be as specific as possible :) If you’re still a bit unsure though it’s always worthwhile emailing grad rec for these things as it also might flag up to them that the wording is a bit confused

Thanks Alice,

I will just list my grades and resits. I agree - listing every single exam is a massive task!

Best of luck with the application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It says as follows:

You are reading too much - it just means the overall grade.

Reactions: Lumree

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    All,

The following links might help with application deadlines (I would suggest checking the firm's website as well just to make sure the deadline is correct):

1. http://www.lex100.com/index.php/career-clinic/deadlines/vacation-schemeshttp://www.lex100.com/index.php/career-clinic/deadlines/vacation-schemes
    2. https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/WorkPlacementDeadlines
    3. Chambers Student (they are yet to upload the deadlines but keep an eye out) - https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/vacation-schemes/vacation-scheme-deadlines

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: S30 and Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.