Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm applying for a firm and this is one of the questions:

Describe an important event in your life. Why have you chosen this particular event?

I'm a bit stumped with this one. Any tips for how you might approach this one? I'm not sure if I should talk about a personal or professional event. Are they looking for some life-changing event that's happened to me?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys,

I'm applying for a firm and this is one of the questions:

Describe an important event in your life. Why have you chosen this particular event?

I'm a bit stumped with this one. Any tips for how you might approach this one? I'm not sure if I should talk about a personal or professional event. Are they looking for some life-changing event that's happened to me?

Thanks!

That's definitely a very broadly phrased question. I think that's the point though, the kind of event you choose (and your reasons why) tells them something about your personality. The event doesn't necessarily need to be life-changing and there's no 'right' answer to this question, but I would personally lean towards personal events. I think they can be used as opportunities to discuss something that's important to you.

Reactions: Alice G and Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    That's definitely a very broadly phrased question. I think that's the point though, the kind of event you choose (and your reasons why) tells them something about your personality. The event doesn't necessarily need to be life-changing and there's no 'right' answer to this question, but I would personally lean towards personal events. I think they can be used as opportunities to discuss something that's important to you.

Hi Jaysen,

Thanks for your reply.

I actually went with when I started my new job in the end. I felt this was quite important as it was my first real taste of commercial work. In turn, this solidified my desire to become a commercial solicitor. Hopefully, this is ok!

My only reservation is I talk about my desire to become a commercial solicitor, but what I mean by that is my desire to work with businesses to help bring ideas to reality. I do explain that in the answer, but should I be careful with saying I want to become a commercial solicitor specifically? Does that sound like I am limiting myself to purely commercial work (i.e. contracts) as opposed to some of the other areas you typically find in a commercial law firm?

Vany

Premium Member
    Dec 11, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

Thanks for your reply.

I actually went with when I started my new job in the end. I felt this was quite important as it was my first real taste of commercial work. In turn, this solidified my desire to become a commercial solicitor. Hopefully, this is ok!

My only reservation is I talk about my desire to become a commercial solicitor, but what I mean by that is my desire to work with businesses to help bring ideas to reality. I do explain that in the answer, but should I be careful with saying I want to become a commercial solicitor specifically? Does that sound like I am limiting myself to purely commercial work (i.e. contracts) as opposed to some of the other areas you typically find in a commercial law firm?

Hi @Lumree !

I agree with @Jaysen , I think there is no right or wrong answer.

I am not aware of your other application questions but I would make sure you haven't already detailed the reasons why you want to become a commercial lawyer elsewhere in the application form.

I would try to elaborate on something new. Tell me if this makes sense!

And as to the second part of your question, I think the idea of helping businesses "bring ideas to reality" as you say can involve drafting contracts, but also advising on mergers, acquisitions if the idea of the company is to expand, on financing that acquisition, advising on real estate if the idea of the company is to acquire a new building etc.... (which all involve contracts of course)
    All these ideas can be brought to reality with the help of a commercial law firm. So it doesn't seem to me you are restricting yourself to anything. But this depends on how you actually wrote your answer.

Does this answer your question?

Would you agree @Jaysen ?

Good luck with your application ! :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alice G, Lumree and Jaysen

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi both,

There wasn't any other question that let me elaborate on why I want to become a commercial solicitor.

There were questions on my interests, and also a question on why I want to join the firm and why they should choose me (in 300 words!) Rather than spend time on that question about why I wanted to be a commercial solicitor, I thought it was best to discuss that in the question originally discussed.

Thank you for your help! I will be submitting it tonight and keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Vany and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi both,

There wasn't any other question that let me elaborate on why I want to become a commercial solicitor.

There were questions on my interests, and also a question on why I want to join the firm and why they should choose me (in 300 words!) Rather than spend time on that question about why I wanted to be a commercial solicitor, I thought it was best to discuss that in the question originally discussed.

Thank you for your help! I will be submitting it tonight and keeping my fingers crossed.
    Best of luck!

Reactions: Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    This was Memery Crystal wasn't it? I also got rejected super quickly from them. They might have filled up all their slots on their vac scheme already hence the quick rejections.

It was! Sorry to hear you had the same luck but I’m also glad we’re in the same boat! Was very fast.

Best of luck for your other applications

Reactions: STWO

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    It was! Sorry to hear you had the same luck but I’m also glad we’re in the same boat! Was very fast.

Best of luck for your other applications

Yeah to reject so quickly it does sound as though positions may have been filled but if it’s any consolation I did just read this thread and thought your response sounded excellent so well done for that! Good luck with your other apps! :)

Reactions: STWO and Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Yeah to reject so quickly it does sound as though positions may have been filled but if it’s any consolation I did just read this thread and thought your response sounded excellent so well done for that! Good luck with your other apps! :)
    Thanks Alice, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.