Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It's deadline day for most of the big commercial law firms, which means some of you will be trying to squeeze one more application in before midnight.

In addition to writing my own applications a few years ago, I review a lot of training contract applications. I wanted to share some quick advice, so you can give yourself the best possible chance of converting your application to an interview.

Writing your application
    • Use short sentences and simple language.
    • Use the active voice, for example: "I set up the society in June", as opposed to the passive voice "The society was set up by me in June".
    • Omit unnecessary words. You don't need to write about how you are very interested in commercial law, or how you were really involved in your university's law society.
    • Avoid simply describing your qualities. Instead, use examples to demonstrate your organisation or your team-working skills.
    Why are you applying to this law firm?
    • Remember to write about why you are applying, not just what you know about a law firm
    • Back up each reason with specific information about a law firm.
    • Ask yourself: Could my reasons be applied to any other law firm? If the answer is yes, your answer is not specific enough.
    Why do you want to be a commercial solicitor?
    • Make sure your answer is relevant. Avoid describing what commercial solicitors do, or what skills they need.
    • Back up your answer with specific information. For example, if you write that you like the combination of law and business, how do you know? Have you studied company law? Have you completed vacation schemes?
    For more detail, I encourage you to read our training contract application guide and Ben Staveley's application guide. Otherwise, good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.