HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
hi! Have some updates:

I asked YourGDL about when they would have the updated version of the notes available--they have told me:
"Our current version of the guide was drafted in November 2019. Unfortunately, the circumstances of the last year prevented us from releasing a newer one.

We do aim to review and update each Autumn but if you are keen to have a guide soon, the current version will be the only one available. That being said, the old ones are still very useful as there are rarely any substantial changes made.

We wait until the course materials are released before updating the guides so if we are able to produce an updated guide this year they might not be ready until November."

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    hi! Have some updates:

I asked YourGDL about when they would have the updated version of the notes available--they have told me:
    "Our current version of the guide was drafted in November 2019. Unfortunately, the circumstances of the last year prevented us from releasing a newer one.

We do aim to review and update each Autumn but if you are keen to have a guide soon, the current version will be the only one available. That being said, the old ones are still very useful as there are rarely any substantial changes made.

We wait until the course materials are released before updating the guides so if we are able to produce an updated guide this year they might not be ready until November."
    I and my cohort used that guide from 2019 and it was great and didn't really need any changes so I wouldn't worry about buying that version tbh especially since you can just amend them with any updates your tutors tell you about for your own revision purposes :)

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I and my cohort used that guide from 2019 and it was great and didn't really need any changes so I wouldn't worry about buying that version tbh especially since you can just amend them with any updates your tutors tell you about for your own revision purposes :)
    Thanks Daniel, that’s reassuring! I went ahead and bought it so looking forward to getting started

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    I'm also ordering them too, so at least if I'm selling you a lemon I'm equally affected!
    Thought I'd update this with my experience.

From the UoL perspective (obviously cannot speak for how it helps BPP people, since I was not at BPP), the core guide is slightly patchy, but on the whole good. Some topics it is weak on (Land, some parts of Tort), but the rest of it is pretty good and worthwhile getting.

The case guide, on the other hand, is definitely not worth getting. The content in it is fine, but all the important cases are found in the UoL textbooks anyway, and so much of the case guide consists of additional supporting caselaw that is interesting, but not necessary to know. I don't think I used the case guide more than once or twice in the entire year.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    hi! Have some updates:

Hi :) Did you consider buying the GDL Answered ULaw Core Guide notes? As far as I am aware, they will be updating it this month!

Last edited:

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    Thank you both! I am just waiting for the updated version of the GDL Answered book to come out and then I will purchase it :) Thank you for your insights!
    Just a word of caution. The guide was filled with many mistakes and has a lot of irrelevant information. I guess it is good to get if you are really struggling and feel lost in the beginning as they break down things well.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I barely used mine as the detail you need to get a distinction isn't possible with the guide alone. I feel like you'd get a pass at a push if you solely relied on the book.

If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it. It was because I bought it that I felt compelled to use it to get my money's worth.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Glayson Tavares-Costa

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    Just a word of caution. The guide was filled with many mistakes and has a lot of irrelevant information. I guess it is good to get if you are really struggling and feel lost in the beginning as they break down things well.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I barely used mine as the detail you need to get a distinction isn't possible with the guide alone. I feel like you'd get a pass at a push if you solely relied on the book.

If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it. It was because I bought it that I felt compelled to use it to get my money's worth.
    Thank you for your insights. I might decide to order the YourGDL Revision Notes instead, would you recommend them by any chance? :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Did you use the ULaw version? I found that really good, especially compared to the 'regular' version of the notes

Reactions: TC fiend

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    Did you use the ULaw version? I found that really good, especially compared to the 'regular' version of the notes
    Nope the PGDL. Since it was a new course, a lot of information was not covered and was generally littered with mistakes/irrelevant information.

The ULaw one was probably good as the course has been the same for years and the teaching style/specification in comparison to BPP is a lot easier having had a look at the specs for both courses.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Nope the PGDL. Since it was a new course, a lot of information was not covered and was generally littered with mistakes/irrelevant information.

The ULaw one was probably good as the course has been the same for years and the teaching style/specification in comparison to BPP is a lot easier having had a look at the specs for both courses.
    Ah fair enough that would make sense

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.