Ashurst Vacation Scheme 2016

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Ashurst Vacation Scheme 2016

How did you find the Ashurst vacation scheme?

This vacation scheme was only a week long so it absolutely flew by! You only sit in one department. I actually think this is a good thing as vacation schemes can be really exhausting but it's easier to really throw yourself into it for just one week.

Your supervisor is instructed to set you a research task of some form so that they can give feedback on this to grad recruitment. I found my supervisor was pretty good at giving me work, but I also let trainees around the office know that I was available, and other people popped into the office to give me work. The workload wasn't unmanageable but I was always very busy.

There were quite a few presentations and sessions with people from the firm - a trainee panel, a CSR and diversity talk, etc. which are really just opportunities to ask lots of questions and find out more about the firm.
The people were lovely. I didn't meet one rude person. My supervisor was great, really hardworking but also very chatty which was nice. It think this is an important party of Ashurst's culture and is something that all the trainees talk about when you ask them why they chose the firm.

The socials were really fun! We went to Bounce one night which was really great. There was ice skating and drinks on the last day.

A final thing I want to mention is that this particular scheme was huge. There were a looot of people on it which I found a bit weird.

What were the vacation scheme assessments like at Ashurst?

There are none. There's a partner dinner which I suppose is an assessment. An annoying thing is that because it was only a week and there wasn't time for a TC interview during that, I interviewed for a TC in January. What's really annoying though is that you have to reapply for a TC after the vac scheme! However, I think it's pretty must guaranteed that you'll get an interview - I think you'd really have to screw up not to. Also they may have changed this structure since 2016.

What advice would you give to future vacation schemers attending the Holman Fenwick Willan vacation scheme?

My biggest piece of advice is to get to know as many people as possible and make sure that you always come across as really friendly and approachable. Definitely wander around the office, introduce yourself, offer to help out, etc.

On average, what time did you arrive and leave each day?

9am and I left about 6pm most days.

How much were you paid for the Ashurst vacation scheme?

£400

How would you rate your overall vacation scheme experience?

4/5

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.