Ashurst - Winter Vacation Scheme 2023

Added to Calendar: 29-09-23

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Hey all, what are the psychometric tests like? Are there any materials to prepare? Thanks!
The tests are Cognify, Emotify, and a 'values' test (its not like SJT, it's just asking you to rank things in the workplace you like).

I just did them and as others have echoed - they appear quite tough, however I feel they are trying to put you under a lot of pressure. My only advice would be to google Cognify and Emotify to get a feel for them.
The cognify one is largely split into games:
Game 1 you kind of move tetris shapes to fit a block - I actually found this surprisingly tough
Game 2 you need to do very quick mental maths - would be worth brushing up on this. I actually recommend looking up mental maths tips for consulting/banking interviews as this will help. Being quick with times tables would be useful.
Game 3 is similarly maths - you are given two sets of numbers and asked to identify which is larger or smaller
Game 4 involves moving a marble around a track and obstacles with the least 'distance' covered - hard to explain. No real way to practice for it.
The Emotify games ask you to match pictures of faces to emotions, or match pictures of faces to written scenarios (e.g. 'John went to the shop and spilled coffee on his shirt' - you pick a sad face). These felt surprisingly difficult as some of the faces have very slight or subtle differences so it's not always clear what would be appropriate.

It is definitely high pressure - my best advice would be do not panic if you feel you are getting a few wrong in a row. Try and stay focused on what is in front of you. Takes about an hour.

Reactions: leaaa2023

leaaa2023

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2023
The tests are Cognify, Emotify, and a 'values' test (its not like SJT, it's just asking you to rank things in the workplace you like).

I just did them and as others have echoed - they appear quite tough, however I feel they are trying to put you under a lot of pressure. My only advice would be to google Cognify and Emotify to get a feel for them.
The cognify one is largely split into games:
Game 1 you kind of move tetris shapes to fit a block - I actually found this surprisingly tough
Game 2 you need to do very quick mental maths - would be worth brushing up on this. I actually recommend looking up mental maths tips for consulting/banking interviews as this will help. Being quick with times tables would be useful.
Game 3 is similarly maths - you are given two sets of numbers and asked to identify which is larger or smaller
Game 4 involves moving a marble around a track and obstacles with the least 'distance' covered - hard to explain. No real way to practice for it.
The Emotify games ask you to match pictures of faces to emotions, or match pictures of faces to written scenarios (e.g. 'John went to the shop and spilled coffee on his shirt' - you pick a sad face). These felt surprisingly difficult as some of the faces have very slight or subtle differences so it's not always clear what would be appropriate.

It is definitely high pressure - my best advice would be do not panic if you feel you are getting a few wrong in a row. Try and stay focused on what is in front of you. Takes about an hour.
This is very helpful, I thank you very much! Best of luck

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Oh interesting, this is also exactly what I said but it was genuinely off the top of my head, I did not leverage any 'sources'.

I'm hoping I covered some ground here by referencing in a holistic / conceptual way what lawyers do for clients too (I mentioned things like effectively allocating risk, seeking out best interests of clients, being commercial as well as legal advisers?) along with the specifics of contentious / transactional work 😬 but a bit nervous if that answer was being rolled out by many.

In that case, this will be fine as you will write this in your own way. The challenge is when applicants use the same phrasing (which becomes noticeable quickly!).

And yes - that would actually be my approach, so I think it sounds like a great answer. There are many ways to answer the question, but I think it's important to not think only in terms of 'corporate lawyer does X', but what is the fundamental role of a commercial lawyer?

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    Anyone know when we can expect to hear back? Wasn’t today the last one ?

I am not hopeful either @lawyerinzootopia, just want to know when to expect the rejection email so I can avoid opening my emails until I am ready, spotted TWO typos and I feel like I missed some points - there was too much to breakdown and the layout threw me.
    It was hard. They said the latest was 26th, but was just curious to know if anyone heard earlier.

I don't think you are meant to get every point down. I think it is whether you got the MAIN ones down with a justified explanation. So don't rule yourself out just yet ;) good luck!

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Anyone know when we can expect to hear back? Wasn’t today the last one ?

I am not hopeful either @lawyerinzootopia, just want to know when to expect the rejection email so I can avoid opening my emails until I am ready, spotted TWO typos and I feel like I missed some points - there was too much to breakdown and the layout threw me.
    Im so sorry for the confusion - I read the post completely wrong.. I haven't even had a response (rejection I presume at this point) regarding the initial application 😭

But best of luck to you!! I hope they respond soon! :)

rkmg2510

Premium Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Hi everyone! Congrats to all who have received good news and passed the relevant stages. I haven't received anything from Ashurst since the first email acknowledging receipt of the application and saying they'd be in touch by November 10th. I have done the standard cognify, emotify and WAA tests, but nothing since. Would it be safe to assume that this one was unsuccessful? Has anyone received a rejection yet?

legallyells

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 23, 2023
    Hi everyone! Congrats to all who have received good news and passed the relevant stages. I haven't received anything from Ashurst since the first email acknowledging receipt of the application and saying they'd be in touch by November 10th. I have done the standard cognify, emotify and WAA tests, but nothing since. Would it be safe to assume that this one was unsuccessful? Has anyone received a rejection yet?
    hey! i’m in the exact same situation, not heard anything since the acknowledgment email, hopefully we’ll get an answer soon! fingers crossed!

BubbleTeaFan

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2022
    same! keeping fingers crossed

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.