Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

ellabasing

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2023
Hi Jess,
I have been applying to Vacation Schemes for this summer with the hope of securing a TC, but unfortunately, have not yet been successful. While I am waiting to hear back from the remaining few, I have also been looking into applying for Paralegal/Legal Secretary roles in the case that I am not able to secure a VS. I originally planned to start my PGDL this September, however would you recommend to just apply for these roles despite not having completed this qualification yet or is that something I can’t do until I complete the PGDL and SQE? I have tried to do some research on this, but it seems that some firms explicitly state these qualifications as prerequisites, while others do not. Any advice or information you have would be greatly appreciated!

LKlegend

Feb 5, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

I just got invited for an AC but the only date available is the one I am travelling albeit I am travelling at night I have university lessons in the morning as well. Do you think its worth emailing them about an alternative date with the excuse that I am travelling on that day?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

I just got invited for an AC but the only date available is the one I am travelling albeit I am travelling at night I have university lessons in the morning as well. Do you think its worth emailing them about an alternative date with the excuse that I am travelling on that day?
It will be fine to ask whether they have alternative dates no matter what your other commitments are. The worst that can happen is they say no and then you have to work out whether 1) change your plans or 2) decline the offer to attend.

Reactions: LKlegend

mailer

Standard Member
Feb 2, 2022
Hi Jessica,

I have a question about what happens if your training contract is revoked, say for failing SQE 1, and the firm asks for your exam fees, course fees, and/or maintenance grant back. In the case of a London TC, this could be a total nearing £30,000 at the higher end. I imagine the likely position of the majority in this scenario would be that they are just recently out of university with no savings, now no employment, and are not able to fall back on family for such a large sum. I also cannot imagine most being able to get a commercial loan for the sum either.

The only way I could therefore see paying such an amount back without leaving the ex-TC holder in serious financial difficulty would be a payment plan over at least quite a few years. Is this how firms would approach it, and would they charge interest?

Thank you very much for your insight into what is quite a point of anxiety for me, and I'm sure others!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have a question about what happens if your training contract is revoked, say for failing SQE 1, and the firm asks for your exam fees, course fees, and/or maintenance grant back. In the case of a London TC, this could be a total nearing £30,000 at the higher end. I imagine the likely position of the majority in this scenario would be that they are just recently out of university with no savings, now no employment, and are not able to fall back on family for such a large sum. I also cannot imagine most being able to get a commercial loan for the sum either.

The only way I could therefore see paying such an amount back without leaving the ex-TC holder in serious financial difficulty would be a payment plan over at least quite a few years. Is this how firms would approach it, and would they charge interest?

Thank you very much for your insight into what is quite a point of anxiety for me, and I'm sure others!
There is likely to be a payment plan put in place at 0% interest.

For instance, in one of the MC firms I worked in, someone dropped out of their TC and had to pay back the GDL, LPC and maintenance fees. That was over £35k and a very long time ago, but the individual paid back about £350 per month over around 7-8 years. That was agreed on the basis of what the individual could afford to repay each month.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.