Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
Hi :)

1. I created this list https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/struggling-to-differentiate-between-firms.1332/ to help with differentiating between firms :)
2. It was because I had the same issues which you describe in terms of really understanding the value-add of legal tech that I decided to explore ways to get involved. I work for a company called Avvoka which is an end-to-end contract automation, negotiation and analytics platform. This basically means that documents can be automated in the platform and then those templated documents can be live negotiated between counterparties and e-signed all within the platform too. The analytics refers to the fact the data within the templates can be captured in the platform and it can give our clients meaningful insights into their own data. We actually launched a new initiative called 'Avvoka Academy' where we are seeking to host webinars in the coming weeks to give people more of an insight into what automation is in a hands-on, but hopefully fun way! If any of you are interested then you can sign up at the bottom of this page for one of these sessions: https://academy.avvoka.com/event/avvoka-academy-automation-webinar/

This is super helpful thank you! I've signed up for a webinar as well so looking forward to learning more :)

Reactions: Alice G

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Hi Alice,

What are your top tips/general advice to keep in mind during a vacation scheme? I finally secured one for summer 2020 and would appreciate any insight you may have!

Shahil

Star Member
Dec 11, 2018
Hi Alice,

In your second cycle, did you get asked about why you failed to secure a TC at your previous vacation schemes? If so, how did you answer without highlighting any flaws which might put the recruiter off?

Thanks for taking the time do this :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice,

What are your top tips/general advice to keep in mind during a vacation scheme? I finally secured one for summer 2020 and would appreciate any insight you may have!

Congratulations on your scheme!!

I think my biggest tip is to enjoy yourself. I think I was able to come across as more confident on my second scheme because I went in with a far more positive mindset and I was more focused on just enjoying my time than anything. This helped me to stay relaxed and more confident in myself I think and my focus was less on the end result that way too because I find that can be all-consuming and worrying.

The other tip is to be positive and smiley. If you have those thoughts of self-doubt creeping in then give yourself a pep talk in the bathroom (have done it plenty of times- don't worry) or speak to family and friends when the day is done - when you are in the offices and around everyone, just try to push through and maintain the positivity and enthusiasm if you can :)

With work - get clarity on the task when it is given. Ask the questions you feel are pertinent at that time and then give things a good go. Try and be resourceful where you can but there is no harm in asking questions. Just make sure you ask your supervisor politely if they have five mins to spare to ask a few Q's and make sure you have genuinely tried to source the answers for yourself. Be succinct when asking questions but maybe offer your thoughts and some of the research you have found in relation to your question to show you have tried to do it independently. But do not be scared to ask at all - they are there to help and some vac scheme tasks are tricky so do not feel like asking questions and for further clarity into a task will disadvantage you at all!

I would also say be proactive generally but definitely do so in seeking feedback. Maybe on your second to last day in the seat you are in, ask your supervisor if they’d have time to give you some feedback for how you can improve going forwards on your last day :)

One nice practical thing to do which I actually heard at an AS presentation is to make a copy of your timetable for your supervisor and give it to them on the first day and say you just wanted to provide them with this so that they know where you are. I also used to leave post-its on my monitor if I was away at a talk or for a meeting saying what time I should be back.

The other thing I would say is to make an effort with everyone - hopefully, this would come naturally but everyone in a law firm is vital to its operation and can give you really amazing insights into the firm you are looking to join. I am still in touch and had lunch a few weeks back with one of the legal secretary’s I befriended from one of my schemes and she is just a wonderful person and has been an incredible source of moral support to me throughout my journey so it's nice to make lasting connections and friendships. Though I did not convert my vacs, I am forever grateful for the incredible people I met on them :)

Lastly, and do not underestimate this as it is the most important point, be yourself! I alluded to this in an earlier post but I personally think it is best to be rejected for being you and because perhaps you would not fit with that firm as well as others might than to lose out on your dream firm by pretending to be the person you thought they wanted. To get the firm which is best for you, you have to be truly you :)

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: hktr, H, J32 and 3 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice,

In your second cycle, did you get asked about why you failed to secure a TC at your previous vacation schemes? If so, how did you answer without highlighting any flaws which might put the recruiter off?

Thanks for taking the time do this :)
Hi there,

So I never actually got asked about this but it was something I openly discussed if I was asked about resilience or my greatest achievement, the latter because actually getting rejected and the experience highlighted to me a weakness that I have since really tried to overcome. I think I actually quite liked to discuss it in a way at my subsequent interviews because I really think that something positive came from something which was quite upsetting at the time as it forced my hand in the best way possible to do something about a weakness of mine which had held me back before.

I guess it would depend on the reasons for your rejections to an extent but the key is showing you are trying to overcome and improve that particular hurdle. For me, I became more aware of my struggles in presenting to people and so I have taken active steps to try and work on that and so that is what I would say at interview if I was asked outright. I would give them the honest reason for rejection but then tell them in detail how I am seeking to mitigate that issue or trying to overcome it.

Like I say, it does depend on the reasons (because some reasons may not be as practical in terms of overcoming them or working towards improving) and I can only really speak for my own experiences :) I don't know if this helps at all but hope it gives you some insight :)

Reactions: Zoo and Shahil

Law123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Hi,

What would be the best way to answer the question 'why law?' at an interview? How can you make yourself stand out?

Also, I have my first video interview this week, any tips would be helpful.

Thank you!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi,

What would be the best way to answer the question 'why law?' at an interview? How can you make yourself stand out?

Also, I have my first video interview this week, any tips would be helpful.

Thank you!

The key to why law is honestly making it as personal to you as possible and constructing a bit of a story as to why you are embarking on this path. I can't really say much beyond that because the key to it being solid is all about how authentic and honest your response is and how well it marries up with your past experiences. That does not mean you have to have legal work experiences and to have undertaken a law degree, it means you have to be able to convincingly say what it has been about your past experiences, whatever those are, that has set you onto the path of looking at the law. This does not have to be an 'impressive' answer in that it doesn't need to be super articulate and technical - it just needs to be really authentic and personal, that is what makes it memorable.

I am thinking that I may actually write a post on video interview tips this week given the current situation. Let me try and work on this in the next couple of days and will link it in this thread and tag you :) some quick tips: wear interview attire, be smiley and look at your camera, not the screen. Check all the technical stuff ahead of time. Also - you can have post-its on your laptop which can prompt you and help with the nerves a bit. Maybe have one post it for instance which bullet points you reasons for 'why this firm' and whichever other ones which may be helpful. Good luck this week :)

Reactions: Law123

Law123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020

The key to why law is honestly making it as personal to you as possible and constructing a bit of a story as to why you are embarking on this path. I can't really say much beyond that because the key to it being solid is all about how authentic and honest your response is and how well it marries up with your past experiences. That does not mean you have to have legal work experiences and to have undertaken a law degree, it means you have to be able to convincingly say what it has been about your past experiences, whatever those are, that has set you onto the path of looking at the law. This does not have to be an 'impressive' answer in that it doesn't need to be super articulate and technical - it just needs to be really authentic and personal, that is what makes it memorable.

I am thinking that I may actually write a post on video interview tips this week given the current situation. Let me try and work on this in the next couple of days and will link it in this thread and tag you :) some quick tips: wear interview attire, be smiley and look at your camera, not the screen. Check all the technical stuff ahead of time. Also - you can have post-its on your laptop which can prompt you and help with the nerves a bit. Maybe have one post it for instance which bullet points you reasons for 'why this firm' and whichever other ones which may be helpful. Good luck this week :)
Thank you very much! This is very helpful! :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
  • Alice, do you know of any source that I can refer on how money is created- where does it start from- how many notes can a country print
    Basically I am from a Science background and I am having a tough time battling these questions.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
  • Alice, do you know of any source that I can refer on how money is created- where does it start from- how many notes can a country print
    Basically I am from a Science background and I am having a tough time battling these questions.
Hi there,

These are quite economics-based questions and it isn't honestly something I know too much about. Maybe it would be worth looking in the economics sections of publications or even just trying to find some information online about the sources of money and how much can be in circulation. I know vaguely about quantitative easing and the concept of inflation which I think are all relative to how much money is in circulation so maybe searching these concepts might help to start you off?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020

Hey Dhruv,

I'd recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Need-Know-About-City/dp/0957494661

Did wonders for my commercial awareness and a general understanding of economics/monetary policy/etc. What's good is that it's not specific to law so it's good for any sort of career involving the 'City' or you want it for general knowledge.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hey @SLKEJRWOI97, I got hold of Jake Schoger's book if you've heard of him, do I still need to purchase the one you've mentioned or are they more or less the same? Thank you.

I'd still recommend getting this. I prefer this more than Jake's books but you can always return it if you feel like it's not useful. :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

A L

Dec 20, 2018
Congratulations on the offer, Alice! And thank you for sharing your application experience, which is a true inspiration~

I am thinking to reapply to Freshfields after an unsuccessful application. The rejection I received from them last year said, 'We are sorry to disappoint you but hope you will consider Freshfields for future opportunities.'

Do you or your friends by chance know if it is an encouragement/permission to reapply or merely a standard rejection?

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Congratulations on the offer, Alice! And thank you for sharing your application experience, which is a true inspiration~

I am thinking to reapply to Freshfields after an unsuccessful application. The rejection I received from them last year said, 'We are sorry to disappoint you but hope you will consider Freshfields for future opportunities.'

Do you or your friends by chance know if it is an encouragement/permission to reapply or merely a standard rejection?
    I think that's pretty standard I'm afraid Andy, I got the same closing phrase.

Reactions: A L

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

I believe this is a standard phrase unfortunately as @Daniel Boden has said but do not be discouraged by me saying this either. Whilst it is not an FF anecdote, I remember being at the Clifford Chance open day in 2018 and there was a trainee who applied four years in a row before getting an AC and the eventual TC. Trust me when I say perseverance wins the day in law applications!

Thank you so much for your kind words - I really hope my experiences can prove that things do happen for a reason and work out the way they are meant to :)

Reactions: A L and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

standard rejection - but that doesn’t mean anything negative. Many people apply to firms and don’t get it quite right the first time, whether it be their application or they are not quite ready, and then go in to be successful.

A L

Dec 20, 2018
    standard rejection - but that doesn’t mean anything negative. Many people apply to firms and don’t get it quite right the first time, whether it be their application or they are not quite ready, and then go in to be successful.
    I believe this is a standard phrase unfortunately as @Daniel Boden has said but do not be discouraged by me saying this either. Whilst it is not an FF anecdote, I remember being at the Clifford Chance open day in 2018 and there was a trainee who applied four years in a row before getting an AC and the eventual TC. Trust me when I say perseverance wins the day in law applications!

Thank you so much for your kind words - I really hope my experiences can prove that things do happen for a reason and work out the way they are meant to :)
    I think that's pretty standard I'm afraid Andy, I got the same closing phrase.

Thank you all for the prompt, informative, and kind reply. I am not surprised though.

Meanwhile, I have heard that some firms register a line at the end of the rejection email either implying an encouragement to reapply or saying something like 'best wishes with your job-seeking elsewhere'. Still, Freshfields' sounds pretty standard and neutral.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you all for the prompt, informative, and kind reply. I am not surprised though.

Meanwhile, I have heard that some firms register a line at the end of the rejection email either implying an encouragement to reapply or saying something like 'best wishes with your job-seeking elsewhere'. Still, Freshfields' sounds pretty standard and neutral.

yes, some firms do tailor their emails. But vast majority don’t. It will just be a standard (and polite) rejection.

Even if you did get a untailored/tailored email, doesn’t mean a lot, and shouldn’t be used as a way to gauge your future application success.

Reactions: A L

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.