Ask firm for maintenance grant increase

crabtree

Jan 30, 2022
I see that lots of firms have started raising their maintenance grants for the LPC to around £12,500. My firm pays a fair bit less than that. I don't know how I am going to afford to live in London off what they provide. How do I ask for more money?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see that lots of firms have started raising their maintenance grants for the LPC to around £12,500. My firm pays a fair bit less than that. I don't know how I am going to afford to live in London off what they provide. How do I ask for more money?
Maintenance grants are typically a set amount. Firms are unlikely to give individual increases as a matter of fairness to all trainees. However, they might be able to support in other ways. This could be:
  • Salary advances
  • Prizes or bursaries for other achievements/activities
  • Documentation to help you apply for a commercial loan (e.g. proof of future income)
  • Help with paid work during holidays
  • Connecting you with recruitment agencies to help you with work outside of the firm during the holidays
There have been a number of posts recently in the forum about this broader topic though. It seems some future trainees might be planning to approach their firm as a cohort to ask for an increase that everyone receives. Here is one such thread: (1) LPC grants | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

Reactions: James Carrabino

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.