Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey all,

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks is the best way to ask for work. I've heard some people say that going around your department knocking on doors and asking isn't good but I've also heard some people say they think this helped them land a TC.

Other people have told me its better to reach out to someone when you're genuinely interested in the work they're doing so I'm a bit confused as to which would be the best approach to take.

Would be great to hear some thoughts

Thanks!

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey all,

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks is the best way to ask for work. I've heard some people say that going around your department knocking on doors and asking isn't good but I've also heard some people say they think this helped them land a TC.

Other people have told me its better to reach out to someone when you're genuinely interested in the work they're doing so I'm a bit confused as to which would be the best approach to take.

Thanks!

I would take guidance from the firm. If the firm expects you to "find work" - I'd recommend going finding it! Other firms may be more rigid and expect your supervisor to provide you with work. However, I have known supervisors to run out and then suggest going to X or Y for work.

I wouldn't overthink it too much. Be enthusiastic, work hard, look interested. That would seem to be the recipe for success :)

Reactions: Dheepa

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    My friend who landed a TC at Bakers sent an email to partners asking for work. Another friend who got a TC at Cleary asked about the lawyers' work at the pantry and offered to help. Hope this helps~!

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Hey all,

Thanks!

I would focus on making sure your supervisor is happy and you complete all the work set by them before you go around asking random partners/associates for work. Remember it is your supervisor's feedback that will be relied on the most when making TC decisions so make sure that is your main focus, if you have any time spare you could ask other associates in the same practice area/seat if they require help. Be smart, don't overcommit yourself.

Reactions: 202023r

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    Play it by ear. First of all, have a look at how much work you have been given by your supervisor(s) to complete. Make sure that you complete that to a good standard before asking for any more work. If you don't leave time to do your original tasks well, then at best you get marked down on those tasks alone, and at worst get a massive black mark next to your name for poor time & work management, which is a major requirement for any corporate lawyer - and particularly for a trainee.

Firms vary hugely as to how much work they give you. Some give you an absolute ton to do (one MC VS I did had barely enough time for the assigned tasks, let alone for anything more), others give you less work, and leave the rest of your time up to your discretion. Some supervisors may be more willing to give you work/may actually have work to give you, others won't.

The rule of thumb is always complete the mandatory tasks first. Then IF you have time left over, ask away.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.