Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi, Im currently preparing for the competition. Those of you who's done it, how did it go? What tech companies have you looked at? Also, for the legal industry one, what did you guys read?

I’m not taking part so have no bias or conflicts of interests. But re tech companies, i’d suggest taking a look at Arm Holdings. A bit like Apple, their back story is really good, from a small Cambridge start up to a leading innovator and one of the biggest software and hardware tech supplier to the biggest brands.

jsoobs

Nov 2, 2018
@Jad soubra at the end of mine they said we would probably heard next week sometime!

How did you find it? The pressure of answering quickly in front of others definitely got to me :(
Yeah it was quite daunting initially (especially those opinion questions!), but once I got into it I thought it was quite enjoyable and was actually disappointed when they said time was up! lol
Hope yours went well and we both get some good news next week!

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
Honestly, even I’m contemplating whether to attend or not because prepping for QF took a lot of my time that I could have spent studying for uni or on my applications. There is so many other things I could focus on so ..I will be honestly sitting with my friends and actually putting this up for discussion because I am not too sure of all this As there is only 1 winner and if you do the maths that’s a low possibility which I need to see is it working taking on and sacrifing other works

Angel

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2018
I just saw the email as well and I got through.

I agree with you, @Jai C. I remember trying to prepare for all the topics for QF (as if it was my exam or something) and the actual test barely got through two of the said topics. Also, it seems to depend a little on luck since everyone gets different questions and you're just lucky if you get one that you did prepare well for. Seems even harder at SF since they are not even narrowing down the areas to prepare for.

But I guess at this stage, it is worth trying your best? You've made it this far! Even if we don't make it to the finals, I guess the knowledge we got from it is beneficial for future job applications.

PS: I think the winning team gets the award and there should be 3 in a team. At least, that was how it was last year. And, I think some were so impressive that they got TCs even though they didn't win. But, just my thoughts :) Most importantly, congratulations to you and everyone who made it to SF! All the best!!

• 🏆
Reactions: Salma, Jaysen and Jai C.

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    @Jai C. You don't have to win the competition to use it in for your career aspirations: I think you can include it in your achievements - after all reaching the semi-finals is an achievement. Thus, I would suggest try your best without putting pressure on yourself to prepare for everything!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Salma and Jai C.

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    I think now the interviews will be law firm specific or will have some elements of law firm specifics. I wanted Travers Smith as I know their areas but I don’t want to attend that slot because that is too early it’s next week Monday.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.