Baker McKenzie Application Question

HS98

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 31, 2022
Hello! I'm working on the BM direct TC application, and the first question is "Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you."
I'm wondering whether I really can just talk about a completely non-law related interest, like history and art? Or should I somehow bring it back to something that the firm does?

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Hey :) It really doesn't have to be law related! I wrote about my love for kickboxing haha, it's totally an opportunity to showcase your interests and what is important to you; they just want to know you as a candidate. And no need to relate it back to the firm either.

HS98

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 31, 2022
Hey :) It really doesn't have to be law related! I wrote about my love for kickboxing haha, it's totally an opportunity to showcase your interests and what is important to you; they just want to know you as a candidate. And no need to relate it back to the firm either.
Thank you so much!!

Reactions: LEL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! I'm working on the BM direct TC application, and the first question is "Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you."
I'm wondering whether I really can just talk about a completely non-law related interest, like history and art? Or should I somehow bring it back to something that the firm does?
Definitely - if anything it’s probably best to avoid law unless it’s something you are truly excited or inspired by.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi @HS98, I agree that it does not have to be law-related! That said, it does not need to be non-law-related either - you could take a more abstract approach as I did in my interviews :)

My sincere answer to this question in interviews/application forms was that nothing inspired me more than bearing witness to my own self-improvement. I started with what might seem like a silly example; I explained that when I was a kid and I taught myself how to juggle, it was so inspiring to work on a certain trick for a while and then gradually being able to do it - at first barely managing it, then performing it more confidently and fluently after a while.

I then extended this to my academic and professional experiences and presented some key examples of when I felt I had worked at something I found challenging and successfully mastered it. That sense of accomplishment has been incredibly exciting for me in all of my pursuits and has always kept me motivated me to push on further.

When answering this question yourself, I would think of what honestly gets you excited to do something. Is there an activity, a goal or an experience that gives you a genuine sense of purpose and determination?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.