Baker McKenzie - can we call them Bakers

Harvey

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what Baker McKenzie's view on shortening their name in an application.

I was thinking to write "Bakers" after the first "Baker McKenzie" in the question.

Does anyone have any insight on grad rec's opinion about this

Thank you!!!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what Baker McKenzie's view on shortening their name in an application.

I was thinking to write "Bakers" after the first "Baker McKenzie" in the question.

Thank you!!!!

I don't know their perspective on this, but I have seen candidates abbreviate Baker McKenzie before.

Personally, I would recommend writing out the name in full where a firm's name is just two words. With "Bakers", you also risk coming across as a bit too informal.

Reactions: Harvey

S30

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    Hi,

Thank you!!!!

I would recommend writing like this, at the beginning of your application when you first mention Baker McKenzie;

Baker McKenzie (“Bakers”) ...

Then continue writing sentences with Bakers in it. But I agree with Jaysen it does sound a bit informal, in that case I would write BM instead of Bakers.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I agree with all that has been stated above - I feel as though Bakers is a bit informal. I have actively emailed and called grad rec about things like this before to ask their advice and so, if you feel comfortable in doing that, it might be worth giving that a go!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.