Baker McKenzie D&I Question

arbitracion

Star Member
  • Sep 28, 2020
    Hi guys, I'm currently applying for a vacation scheme at Baker McKenzie, but I don't understand the below question:

[...] Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in.

I understand the first part, but what does it mean exactly by 'initiatives I may have previously been involved in'? Not exactly sure what more to include to get to 300 words :oops:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys, I'm currently applying for a vacation scheme at Baker McKenzie, but I don't understand the below question:

[...] Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in.

I understand the first part, but what does it mean exactly by 'initiatives I may have previously been involved in'? Not exactly sure what more to include to get to 300 words :oops:

Consider whether you have been involved in any organisations/projects/activities that have developed your understanding of D&I and/or made this an issue of importance to you.

Josh Hardy

Standard Member
    Jun 23, 2020
    Consider whether you have been involved in any organisations/projects/activities that have developed your understanding of D&I and/or made this an issue of importance to you.

Hi Jaysen - I was wondering about this too actually. Specifically whether I should bother applying if there simply aren't any 'initiatives' that I've been involved in? Seems like I'd be missing out on a key part of the question, even though I could still convincingly talk about D&I being important me (I think) - Certainly don't want to waste my time with it if you think it wouldn't go anywhere as a result of this?!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen - I was wondering about this too actually. Specifically whether I should bother applying if there simply aren't any 'initiatives' that I've been involved in? Seems like I'd be missing out on a key part of the question, even though I could still convincingly talk about D&I being important me (I think) - Certainly don't want to waste my time with it if you think it wouldn't go anywhere as a result of this?!

I'd note that it doesn't need to be anything overly formal. It could be any activity where you realised the value of having a diverse and inclusive group. The example itself isn't so important; it's far more about the points you draw out.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen :) I was wondering how to approach the following question: Tell us about something – anything – that excites and inspires you. I'm not sure whether STAR would be applicable.

Thank you
    You don't really need to do STARR here, STARR is best for competency driven questions that are assessing a skill or attribute - think 'tell me about a time when' questions :)

I think a great approach for this type of question is as follows:

1. introduce the 'something' that inspires you
    2. inform the reader about this where appropriate - I always like when candidates can tell me something I didn't know or something which is new to me
    3. Explain in real depth and with specificity as to why this inspires you
    4. it can be nice to round off with a bit of a reflective point

This is not a hard and fast rule by any stretch but I have seen a few responses to similar questions and I tend to quite like that balance between informing the reader but then having that personal touch of really explaining why it excites you and really showcasing your personality in that way.

I think the best thing here is to not overthink it and just put pen to paper because then you can start to see the response taking shape and you can restructure and edit as you see fit. With these types of questions where there isn't more of a prescribed structure it can just be a case of trial and error and figuring out what you think is best.

I hope this helps to get you started!

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    You don't really need to do STARR here, STARR is best for competency driven questions that are assessing a skill or attribute - think 'tell me about a time when' questions :)

2. inform the reader about this where appropriate - I always like when candidates can tell me something I didn't know or something which is new to me

This is not a hard and fast rule by any stretch but I have seen a few responses to similar questions and I tend to quite like that balance between informing the reader but then having that personal touch of really explaining why it excites you and really showcasing your personality in that way.

I think the best thing here is to not overthink it and just put pen to paper because then you can start to see the response taking shape and you can restructure and edit as you see fit. With these types of questions where there isn't more of a prescribed structure it can just be a case of trial and error and figuring out what you think is best.

Thank you very much for this! This is very helpful :)

Reactions: Alice G

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you very much for this! This is very helpful :)

As Alice said, I wouldn't worry about STAR here. This is exactly the kind of question where I wouldn't stick too rigidly to a structure - the key to this answer is to talk about something that you personally find exciting/inspiring with passion. It's a great question to give an insight into your personality :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.