BCLP TC app question

Polzovatel

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Hi
How would you approach the question, 'In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting?'
Thanks

vickystar

Dec 30, 2018
Hi I would like guidance on how to approach this situational judgement question:
Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react? Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi I would like guidance on how to approach this situational judgement question:
Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react? Thank you

What are your initial thoughts?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi
How would you approach the question, 'In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting?'
Thanks
This is an interesting question and to be honest I’ve never come across something like this so whatever I say subsequently is just honestly how I’d try to approach this if I was answering.

I think it’s important to make an effort with everyone in an organisation and this is something I’d address in the question. Partners are important people and you can learn a lot from them but secretaries, personal assistants, HR/learning and development, IT technicians, PSLs, library staff, mail room staff and catering staff (and many others!) all massively contribute towards a firm and its success. This is something I personally feel very strongly about and I think it’s really important for everyone, regardless of their role, to feel valued and celebrated in an organisation.

I’d also be inclined to highlight how important it is to make an effort with your trainee cohort. They’ll be your support system and the people who will most likely help you out if you need it so think it’s important to invest time in building these relationships. I’d probably do this by making sure I check in with people for coffee and schedule lunches to make sure I know how people are getting on and hope it gives people a chance to say if they need some help etc.

I would also maybe say about making relationships in my different teams as I move through seats and with my supervisors especially. They’ll be the ones giving you feedback and really helping to shape you into a good trainee so that you can succeed as an NQ. I’d really want to have a strong relationship with my supervisor as I’d always want them to feel comfortable giving me feedback, both positive and negative and I really value trust and honesty. I’d really try to cultivate that open and honest relationship with a supervisor from the outset.

I guess I touched on strategy with coffee and lunches etc but maybe just consider the best and most appropriate ways you could get to know people and nurture relationships beyond this too. I also think that is tough as strategy can depend on the person so you might have one strategy for a first seat supervisor which might differ to your second seat supervisor as they might be very different characters. I think these nuances are important to note in responses like this if possible and if you have the words to as they show how you appreciate the need to be adaptable.

I hope this helps you in some way and gives some guidance but I’d try to answer this as authentically as possible and what you think you’d truly do as a trainee in this situation :) I don’t think there are right and wrong answers as such here but they’re probably trying to gauge your personality and your approach to these sorts of things :)

***EDIT***
Please all be aware that the application review team have noticed a lot of responses to this question are looking incredibly similar because they are being formulated with this guidance in mind. Please be mindful of our strict plagiarism policy and note that if everyone's answer is constructed so closely to what is written in this post, the response will inevitably be less origianl and impressive.

Last edited:

Polzovatel

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
This is an interesting question and to be honest I’ve never come across something like this so whatever I say subsequently is just honestly how I’d try to approach this if I was answering.

I think it’s important to make an effort with everyone in an organisation and this is something I’d address in the question. Partners are important people and you can learn a lot from them but secretaries, personal assistants, HR/learning and development, IT technicians, PSLs, library staff, mail room staff and catering staff (and many others!) all massively contribute towards a firm and its success. This is something I personally feel very strongly about and I think it’s really important for everyone, regardless of their role, to feel valued and celebrated in an organisation.

I’d also be inclined to highlight how important it is to make an effort with your trainee cohort. They’ll be your support system and the people who will most likely help you out if you need it so think it’s important to invest time in building these relationships. I’d probably do this by making sure I check in with people for coffee and schedule lunches to make sure I know how people are getting on and hope it gives people a chance to say if they need some help etc.

I would also maybe say about making relationships in my different teams as I move through seats and with my supervisors especially. They’ll be the ones giving you feedback and really helping to shape you into a good trainee so that you can succeed as an NQ. I’d really want to have a strong relationship with my supervisor as I’d always want them to feel comfortable giving me feedback, both positive and negative and I really value trust and honesty. I’d really try to cultivate that open and honest relationship with a supervisor from the outset.

I guess I touched on strategy with coffee and lunches etc but maybe just consider the best and most appropriate ways you could get to know people and nurture relationships beyond this too. I also think that is tough as strategy can depend on the person so you might have one strategy for a first seat supervisor which might differ to your second seat supervisor as they might be very different characters. I think these nuances are important to note in responses like this if possible and if you have the words to as they show how you appreciate the need to be adaptable.

I hope this helps you in some way and gives some guidance but I’d try to answer this as authentically as possible and what you think you’d truly do as a trainee in this situation :) I don’t think there are right and wrong answers as such here but they’re probably trying to gauge your personality and your approach to these sorts of things :)

Thank you so much for your reply!
Do you know if BCLP recruit predominantly from VS?

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019

Hey @Polzovatel, this was a question in my BCLP vac scheme interview so it’s interesting that it’s now a TC app question.

Everything @Alice G said is completely relevant and covers most things discussed in my feedback call! So I’d take say take note of this and understand why these relationships are important.

Good luck :)

Reactions: IntrepidL

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you so much for your reply!
Do you know if BCLP recruit predominantly from VS?
I haven’t had any interactions or experiences with BCLP so I couldn’t really say I’m afraid! I think as a general rule firms are keen to recruit from vacation schemes as these are an important part of the recruitment process but this does vary between firms. Some firms don’t allow graduates etc to apply for schemes and so there may be a greater uptake of direct TCs at such firms. I think it’s always good to research stuff like this and attend events/webinars where you can to ask HR directly If it’s not clear or disclosed online :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
In questions like the one above on building relationships, is it necessary to use real life examples or should I just discuss things in the abstract?
The question does focus on what strategies you would implement so I think I’d take the more abstract approach and describe the actions I would look to take. I don’t think there would necessarily be the word count to root examples in which you’ve done this before but I’d maybe try to write something like this into my work experience. Relationships are an important part of working well so maybe I’d try to weave this into a work experience section or use an example or having done this effectively in a previous work placement :)

Last edited:

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
"What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (250 words)"

Hello everyone, regarding the above question, would it be appropriate to talk about BCLP's innovations and how this has shaped some of their practice areas? I am wary the question only outlines gaining exposure to the sectors or departments so I am wondering whether stating the firm's technologies would be going off tangent.

Last edited:

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    "What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (250 words)"

Hello everyone, regarding the above question, would it be appropriate to talk about BCLP's innovations and how this has shaped some of their practice areas? I am wary the question only outlines gaining exposure to the sectors or departments so I am wondering whether stating the firm's technologies would be going off tangent.
    From their AS open day yesterday, you should focus on the work the firm does as ultimately you’re applying there to work in their various departments. Mention innovations if they interest you but they said a lot of people focus on culture and innovation too much!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: FC, Jaysen and Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

as long as it’s linked to your motivation, that is fine.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would be happy to take on associate work as I enjoy challenging peices of work. I just wanted to know whether I should consult my supervisor for guidance or what other resources I could utilise to make sure my work is of quality.

It’s not necessarily associate work - it is just your supervisor is away. This is the type of task a trainee can often be given.

You can’t contact your supervisor as they are away, so you have to think of other methods of ensuring you are on the right track.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I would be happy to take on associate work as I enjoy challenging peices of work. I just wanted to know whether I should consult my supervisor for guidance or what other resources I could utilise to make sure my work is of quality.

With scenario questions like this, try to put yourself in the situation and discuss the specific steps you would take. It wouldn't necessarily be wrong to ask for clarification from a partner, but bear in mind that he is busy and the task is urgent. You'd want to consider if there are other steps you would take first before you get to this point.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    With scenario questions like this, try to put yourself in the situation and discuss the specific steps you would take. It wouldn't necessarily be wrong to ask for clarification from a partner, but bear in mind that he is busy and the task is urgent. You'd want to consider if there are other steps you would take first before you get to this point.

Agree with Jaysen - you also need to think about the practicalities of the “how you react” piece too - that includes what and how you communicate to the partner upon their request, as well as how you decide on the best course of action.

vickystar

Dec 30, 2018
    Thank you, this is very useful!

• Dislike
    Reactions: Barami

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.