Becoming an effective networker

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Networking is very common on vacation schemes and I know it doesn't come naturally to most people (including me!). I thought it would be useful to share another post from @Jaysen on this:

I watched a partner in my department network at a client’s drinks and he’s what I’d call an effective networker. It looked more like he was talking to old friends than networking. He was having fun, people wanted to be around him and almost every time I looked he was deep in conversation with someone new. There was a lot to take away from that; mainly to shift the dialogue away from ‘networking is so bad’ to ‘just talk to people’. Here are some further tips I've learned over the years:
  • Make a point to remember people’s names at the start. This is specifically for me because I’m terrible at names and that can lead to some awkward situations down the line.
  • Be genuine. Sounds cliché and obvious I know but I think it’s worth emphasising. It’s obvious when you speak to someone and they’re not being sincere, or they’re trying to sell themselves too hard, or they’re trying to flatter.
  • It’s good to strike a balance between conversations about work and other things. That can make it easier to bond with the other person, especially as it’s often a chance for them to have a break away from work for a short time.
  • People like to talk about themselves. Quite simple this one, if all else fails, ask questions. Especially helpful if you’re in a situation where you don’t know what to say.
  • -Ask appropriate questions. Certain questions will be appropriate for graduate recruitment v trainees v partners. E.g. It’s not ideal to ask a senior partner about LPC funding.
  • Follow up. I can’t say I did this much as a student but now I notice the students who do so. If someone at the firm suggests that you email them then it can offer a lot of opportunities later down the line.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.