BEST RESOURCES FOR BUILDING UP ON OUR COMMERCIAL AWARENESS: FROM SCRATCH

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I am on the lowest chain of this Commercial Awareness bandwagon, I dont even know how money, oil prices , exchange rates work- can anyone suggest me all the resources that can take me from where I am currently to having commercial awareness like a trainee should have. Please mention each and everything you can think of as I have ample time to do it.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am on the lowest chain of this Commercial Awareness bandwagon, I dont even know how money, oil prices , exchange rates work- can anyone suggest me all the resources that can take me from where I am currently to having commercial awareness like a trainee should have. Please mention each and everything you can think of as I have ample time to do it.

What have you done so far to try develop your commercial awareness?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I have read everything under the sun on Commercial Awareness and how to build upon it and have written down the names of a few resources like Jake Schogger's book, a book named Global Financial Markets, then one by Christopher Stoakes, have signed up on Finimize, but my agenda to ask this here now is for someone to help me layer these resources in order for me to be able to understand them step by step.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I have read everything under the sun on Commercial Awareness and how to build upon it and have written down the names of a few resources like Jake Schogger's book, a book named Global Financial Markets, then one by Christopher Stoakes, have signed up on Finimize, but my agenda to ask this here now is for someone to help me layer these resources in order for me to be able to understand them step by step.

That's a good start and it's good you want to build up your knowledge here.

If you want to understand how businesses and financial markets operate on a fundamental level, personally I'm a big fan of reading books (and long-form articles) - depending on what you want to learn more about (finance, M&A, private equity etc.). The 'commercial awareness' books are great starting points and useful for interviews, but they're also fairly surface level if you want a deep-rooted understanding of this stuff. You can do this alongside your reading of regular news stories (as well as attending events if you can) so you can see how it applies in practice.

Will look at putting some kind of resource list together at some point - in the meantime, others may have suggestions as to what they’ve found useful.

Nat

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    For a general understanding of how businesses and markets operate, I have found that watching youtube videos is the easiest (and most fun) way to learn! Once you have a better understanding of the basics it is much easier to read current awareness material and drill into subjects. You can see some example videos below.
    Hope it helps.
    N

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: newtothis, CF, NLaw18 and 9 others

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.