BPP Accelerated LPC (Consortium firms)

angl_9

Standard Member
Dec 28, 2021
Hi all,

I thought it would be good to start a separate thread for the consortium firms accelerated LPC at BPP as the course is a bit different to the standard LPC.

Has anyone started the mountain of foundational study materials they have given us? Feeling a bit overwhelmed already as I have been out of studying for a bit and need to get back into that studying mentality fast!

If anyone has already done the accelerated LPC, how did you approach the foundational study materials? I find it a bit odd how they have said to read through them and do the activities/quizzes on the hub. I feel like I should be making notes as I go along or something. However, I am also cautious of time.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all,

I thought it would be good to start a separate thread for the consortium firms accelerated LPC at BPP as the course is a bit different to the standard LPC.

Has anyone started the mountain of foundational study materials they have given us? Feeling a bit overwhelmed already as I have been out of studying for a bit and need to get back into that studying mentality fast!

If anyone has already done the accelerated LPC, how did you approach the foundational study materials? I find it a bit odd how they have said to read through them and do the activities/quizzes on the hub. I feel like I should be making notes as I go along or something. However, I am also cautious of time.
Hi @angl_9,

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for starting this thread. I think it will be really useful for the community. I will be following it as I am starting the Accelerated LPC (🤞) in August. I have heard that the preparation they require before starting is intense!

From my experience doing the PGDL so far (one term in), I copy and paste the material before condensing it into note form on a word document. This is what the whole of my seminar group is doing too as there is so much material to retain. That being said, I am aware that the LPC may be different and that you might have previously completed the PGDL making this information not particularly useful!

In the meantime I hope that your prep goes ok! 🚀

angl_9

Standard Member
Dec 28, 2021
Hi @angl_9,

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for starting this thread. I think it will be really useful for the community. I will be following it as I am starting the Accelerated LPC (🤞) in August. I have heard that the preparation they require before starting is intense!

From my experience doing the PGDL so far (one term in), I copy and paste the material before condensing it into note form on a word document. This is what the whole of my seminar group is doing too as there is so much material to retain. That being said, I am aware that the LPC may be different and that you might have previously completed the PGDL making this information not particularly useful!

In the meantime I hope that your prep goes ok! 🚀
Thank you for your reply George.

Yes I did the PGDL last year so the advice isn't applicable as the Accelerated LPC is an entirely different ball game with different techniques needing to be adopted to succeed.

Good luck with your term 1 exams.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
4 of my children have done or are doing the non-accelerated one and I am a lawyer, not that any of that makes me an expert. I am afraid a lot of my children would say not everyone does all the preparation work and still can do pretty well without it, not that I would ever encourage anyone to avoid work that is set, but don't get too concerned if you have not done every last bit. However I am not sure what the foundational study materials are - may be they are pre course reading you receive on the standard BPP LPC?

angl_9

Standard Member
Dec 28, 2021
4 of my children have done or are doing the non-accelerated one and I am a lawyer, not that any of that makes me an expert. I am afraid a lot of my children would say not everyone does all the preparation work and still can do pretty well without it, not that I would ever encourage anyone to avoid work that is set, but don't get too concerned if you have not done every last bit. However I am not sure what the foundational study materials are - may be they are pre course reading you receive on the standard BPP LPC?
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I made a separate thread from the other LPC thread, because the accelerated LPC is different. We are given masses of work to do beforehand. You cannot attend the SGS's or start the course without having done the foundational study materials set by BPP.

I do not know what the normal LPC is like, but I don't think there is much pre work to do before you start.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
Ah, I see. I hope it is not too bad for those doing it. I certainly warned my younger 3 lawyer children off it (their older sibling was not required to do it by her law firm either) as I had heard it was quite concentrated and tough (albeit it you get the course over with sooner). One of my two sons who is on the normal BPP LPC at present has a friend on the accelerated one who started in August who was quite helpful when they started last Autumn as he was doing some things in advance of the non accelerated one.
Hopefully someone who has done the accelerated one will post about it here for you.

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
Hi all,

I'm on the accelerated LPC at the moment. I actually didn't manage to do much of the foundational work before starting and it didn't really impact me but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that approach. The foundational materials are pretty basic but are a good refresher for areas such as property and business law and a good intro to the new topics such as civil litigation. You won't have time to make extensive notes on everything during the Acc LPC so I wouldn't recommend doing that for the foundational material, if anything you should just skim read the material, highlight any of the important points and do the consolidation quizzes to check you understood the main points. Throughout the modules there might be parts of a lecture that refer you back to parts of the foundational material but this will be pointed out so you can go back and read over it if needed. Technically anything can come up in the exams but as the foundational material is a basic intro to the module and pretty high level it's not likely to be stuff that comes up in the exams in any great detail.

Reactions: Karin

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi all,

Thank you for asking this question - I was literally going to post about it as I am feeling similarly confused about whether to make notes and how to best process the material

angl_9

Standard Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    I'm on the accelerated LPC at the moment. I actually didn't manage to do much of the foundational work before starting and it didn't really impact me but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that approach. The foundational materials are pretty basic but are a good refresher for areas such as property and business law and a good intro to the new topics such as civil litigation. You won't have time to make extensive notes on everything during the Acc LPC so I wouldn't recommend doing that for the foundational material, if anything you should just skim read the material, highlight any of the important points and do the consolidation quizzes to check you understood the main points. Throughout the modules there might be parts of a lecture that refer you back to parts of the foundational material but this will be pointed out so you can go back and read over it if needed. Technically anything can come up in the exams but as the foundational material is a basic intro to the module and pretty high level it's not likely to be stuff that comes up in the exams in any great detail.
    Great thank you so much for responding! Super helpful!

Andrews01

Mar 15, 2022
    Hey, I will also be doing accelerated lpc at BPP and wanted to know if anyone knew the precise August start date?

Also, if you guys could give an indication as to whether the maintenance grants (£10,000) is enough to live off of for 6 months in London?
    Thanks!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Last year (2021) the BPP accelerated LPC teaching started on 16th August. I would imagine there was some preparation to be done before that date but I think that was the date of the first week of teaching. I don't know about 2022.
    £10k should be enough in a flat share with others - the issue might be that most tenancies are 12 months, however but it may be your training contract starts in London immediately the LPC ends?

• Love
    Reactions: Andrews01

Andrews01

Mar 15, 2022
    Last year (2021) the BPP accelerated LPC teaching started on 16th August. I would imagine there was some preparation to be done before that date but I think that was the date of the first week of teaching. I don't know about 2022.
    £10k should be enough in a flat share with others - the issue might be that most tenancies are 12 months, however but it may be your training contract starts in London immediately the LPC ends?
    ahh okay that's really helpful thank you!! :)

Yes, it starts within a month or so after that so should be okay with a 12 month lease

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.