BPP LPC help. 3Days?

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
They're in the attached pdf above - we start on Monday September 6
Yes as stated above and below if from the PDF - full time BPP LPC London (not accelerated)

LPC / LLM LPC FULL TIME - SEPT 2021
Dates Activity
6 September 2021
Teaching starts

25-29 October 2021
Reading week

20 Dec 2021 – 1 Jan 2022
Christmas break

10-18 January 2022
Core Practice Areas and Skills Assessments

24 Jan – 18 Mar 2022
Skills teaching and assessments

w/c 21 March 2022
Electives preparation week

28 March 2022
Electives teaching starts

11-22 April 2022
Easter break

30 May – 17 June 2022
Elective assessments

19 August 2022
LLM only - LRR hand-in date (unless arrangements made for early submission)
Thank you both!

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Thank you very much all for the information on here. I had to call them last week to send me the survey, but now my timetable is available on the VLE. :)
Hi, when did your timetable go up? If I try and view mine I can only select weeks in 2019/2020! Have you also received a timetable for the induction week?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
That is very useful, thank you. I just checked with one of my sons and it all looked PGDL from last year until we scrolled down right to the bottom when we saw LPC. Not found the timetable yet.

"Your course materials for the LPC will be sent in two batches. The first batch of BPP produced materials will start shipping from 9 August with the second batch, the Butterworth’s Company Handbook, being shipped towards the end of August in time for the start of term. We know that some students may be relocating ahead of the start of term, that’s why it’s important that you complete this activity fully so that we have the correct delivery information for your materials."

Then it says
"The Butterworth’s Company Handbook is published in late August so we need to know if your address at the start of term is different to your delivery address provided in Question 1

Do you know your term time address?

Not currently available: The activity
Please provide your delivery address & contact number is marked complete"
Then we saw a part to complete to give a term time address for delivery of that book and mobile which he completed
Then it said

Please provide your delivery address & contact number​

Thank you for your submission.​

A second question will be asked (visible from the main hub screen) that will request you to confirm your term time address, please ensure you complete that question when available to you."​

It looks like my son successfully notified them of the address for the book but that he could not yet notify them of the term time address or really they already have it so may be that is why that option was enabled.

Then we also saw this which is quite important - if you want to study face to face in person you then have the option of exams at an assessment centre or remotely which my sons will need to decide shortly. I suspect online exams (with the in person teaching) might be their preference but we shall see and is certainly not up to me.

" Make your assessment choice

Completed 0 / 2​

You may well know that we have recently received SRA approval to continue to run our assessments in a digital format. For those students who have opted to study the Online LPC or the Online LLM LPC, this includes taking digital assessments. However, for those students who have opted to study in a face-to-face environment, we are able to offer you the choice of whether to sit assessments:
  • in a traditional ‘pen and paper’ format with invigilators in an assessment centre or
  • in a digital format, at home, with remote invigilation where required by the SRA

In this survey, you will be asked either to confirm that you will be studying online (i.e. that you have accepted a place on the Online LPC or the Online LLM LPC) or, if you are studying face-to-face, to make a choice between these options. Once you have completed this survey, you will be given access to the other materials on this Welcome Page. These materials will give you lots of information about getting started on the LPC or the LLM LPC, so please read the information below carefully and then make your choice as soon as possible.

Please note that the choice you make through this survey is not final: you will be reminded of the issues relevant to this choice during the Welcome Lecture from your Programme Leader and will then be able to change your mind at any time during the four weeks starting with the first day of induction week.

Please note also that this choice primarily affects the assessments for the CPA modules (core practice areas – i.e. Business Law & Practice, Litigation and Property Law & Practice), the elective modules and Professional Conduct & Regulation and Solicitors’ Accounts. Other assessments on the LPC and LLM LPC take a variety of different formats and several (especially some multiple-choice tests and all coursework assessments) are necessarily digital. Full information about assessment formats can be found in the Programme Handbook for the relevant programme."

• ℹ️
Reactions: AOD and Daniel Boden

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
This bit might be useful too as it sounds like until you take a decision on how you want your exams to be you cannot access most of the remaining material.

"Before you do anything else, please do access the 'Assessment Choice - Important' tile. This allows you to choose the form of assessment which you will take (either remote digital or paper and pen in an assessment centre). It is very important that you do this as soon as possible, as most of the remaining material on this Welcome page will only become accessible to you once you have made a choice.

After that, if you have not already done so, please click on the 'START HERE!' tile relevant to your cohort and follow the steps set out there. That will give you a solid foundation as you start your studies. The information in that tile includes:

• the essential pre-module reading, which you should complete before commencing the programme with us;
  • information about the sessions which will take place in the first week; and
  • information about how to prepare for your first classes.

You will find an indicative Study Planner for your mode of study under the 'Key dates' tile. You will also find a schedule of provisional assessment dates there."
{Hope I am not boring people.... particularly if it all seems obvious to others]

• ℹ️
Reactions: AOD and Daniel Boden

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
We are making a bit of progress - been able to choose to sit exams online (people can choose to write them in the exam hall by hand if they prefer) and can see and access pre-reading/preparation (lots of it) - on the Hub. On balance on-line exams last year for the PGDL were fine and although the LPC ones are a slightly different format - with webcam etc and only using physical statutes etc as in the exam hall it will still probably in our case be a bit less risky if done online as no risks of trains being late or another lockdown. Online exams mean you can type the LPC answers rather than hand write and don't have travel to an exam centre. However people's choice may depend on if they have a quiet place with good internet from which to do an exam (which will not be the case for everyone (and some may prefer paper and pen)).

Not found personal timetable yet (this is for 6 September start BPP LPC full time London). This is most urgent in order to check if 2 days a week attendance etc. So will keep hunting/waiting. I think something is available "about 2 weeks before" - and 2 weeks before is today.

Also a useful "Succeeding on the LPC" 2 page guide says to click on "Start Here" under "My Learning" to find "Programme Information" but "Start Here" is not accessible yet for us and appears blocked so far for Sept. starters and just refers to August starters on the accelerated LPC (with no access to that for us) so perhaps it is not ready yet. Under Start Here is supposed to be "Programme Information" where important announcements will be placed. It currently for us says "Not currently available: You belong to Aug21_FAST (hidden otherwise) " Hopefully that Start Here/Programme Information tab(s) will be available soon particularly as it seems to be the place to check for important messages, to be checked at least weekly.

Although it says the following we cannot so far access "Start Here" despite having chosen mode of assessment/examination:-

"Before you do anything else, please do access the 'Assessment Choice - Important' tile. This allows you to choose the form of assessment which you will take (either remote digital or paper and pen in an assessment centre). It is very important that you do this as soon as possible, as most of the remaining material on this Welcome page will only become accessible to you once you have made a choice.

After that, if you have not already done so, please click on the 'START HERE!' tile relevant to your cohort and follow the steps set out there. That will give you a solid foundation as you start your studies. The information in that tile includes:

• the essential pre-module reading, which you should complete before commencing the programme with us;
    • information about the sessions which will take place in the first week; and
  • information about how to prepare for your first classes."
----------------------
Not had any physical books/materials delivered yet.

In relation to the Electives it says you will be told in due course when you have to pick them so it sounds like that is not done for a good while yet. There is useful guidance more generally on which electives you might want to choose (for those whose sponsoring law firm does not determine that for them).

• ℹ️
Reactions: AOD, SS1 and Daniel Boden

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
Hi, when did your timetable go up? If I try and view mine I can only select weeks in 2019/2020! Have you also received a timetable for the induction week?
I selected 'this week' and clicked on 'View Timetable'. Then I clicked 'Next Week' until I could see the sessions. I currently have about 4 sessions in for induction week, but I think they keep updating them because last week I could only see 2 (and not sure all of them are for everyone, since one says 'PT session' which I think might be for part-time students).

I am doing it full time in person and I can see physical locations on the timetable for all SGSs and for one induction lecture.

My centre is in Leeds though, other centres might take longer to do the timetable.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
I selected 'this week' and clicked on 'View Timetable'. Then I clicked 'Next Week' until I could see the sessions. I currently have about 4 sessions in for induction week, but I think they keep updating them because last week I could only see 2 (and not sure all of them are for everyone, since one says 'PT session' which I think might be for part-time students).

I am doing it full time in person and I can see physical locations on the timetable for all SGSs and for one induction lecture.

My centre is in Leeds though, other centres might take longer to do the timetable.
Thank you for letting me know! When I click that I'm met with an 'error' page - hopefully they update it soon

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
That is useful - above.

Since last night on the Hub we can now see "Start Here" (which I mentioned was not enabled yesterday) which is an improvement on yesterday. However what we can see there is only for August starters - so probably less helpful that Start Here being blocked.
"Your timetable for w/c 16 August 2021 will include induction sessions (a Welcome Lecture from your Programme Leader and a Welcome SGS from a tutor) and also the first two SGSs (small group sessions): one for Practical Legal Research and Writing (PLR/W) and one for Interviewing and Advising (I&A). You should be able to see your timetable in your O365 calendar around 36 hours after you have completed the registration process. and you can also find the links for your classes in w/c 16 August and 23 August 2021 in a PDF accessible in the 'Fast Track Induction August 2021' tile.
Please refer to the ‘How to access your timetable’ document below for more detail.
More information about the first week will be available in the 'Fast Track Induction August 2021' tile. This will be updated during w/c 9 and 16 August 2021 as the relevant information becomes available."
So now being able to access Start Here might actually not be that useful. It is one reason I wish my other son would check his account in case BPP have put one on fast track in error (although no emails from BPP have indicated that and allBPP emails have made it clear it is the September start).

I cannot check the Office 365 or email account as I am the mere parent but when I can next pin down one of my sons to check I will remind him. I think the timetable is probably now available at least in some form on there and I know they both want to know which days and how many days a week they are going into BPP this term. [I will steer my "helicopter "away from this site once my sons start the course otherwise I will be known as the helicopter parent mother from hell..... but I have found it very useful so far]

On Leeds and London last year on the PGDL my non London son founds the admin at his smaller BPP course better than the London one - probably simply because of sheer weight of numbers in London making it harder to organise for BPP so I would not be surprised to hear if Leeds were ahead of London for the LPC too.

Reactions: AOD

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Hello!

I completed the full-time LPC LLM at BPP this past year so I can attach a study schedule. It's a rough schedule to ensure you are on track. From my experience, for the first term with the core modules (BLP, property, litigation) each SGS is 2 hours long. I had classes 3 days a week with a rough schedule like Mondays and Thursdays I would have 2 classes, and Tuesdays I would have 1 class. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Study Planner.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Elle W

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
That is useful - above.

Since last night on the Hub we can now see "Start Here" (which I mentioned was not enabled yesterday) which is an improvement on yesterday. However what we can see there is only for August starters - so probably less helpful that Start Here being blocked.
"Your timetable for w/c 16 August 2021 will include induction sessions (a Welcome Lecture from your Programme Leader and a Welcome SGS from a tutor) and also the first two SGSs (small group sessions): one for Practical Legal Research and Writing (PLR/W) and one for Interviewing and Advising (I&A). You should be able to see your timetable in your O365 calendar around 36 hours after you have completed the registration process. and you can also find the links for your classes in w/c 16 August and 23 August 2021 in a PDF accessible in the 'Fast Track Induction August 2021' tile.
Please refer to the ‘How to access your timetable’ document below for more detail.
More information about the first week will be available in the 'Fast Track Induction August 2021' tile. This will be updated during w/c 9 and 16 August 2021 as the relevant information becomes available."
So now being able to access Start Here might actually not be that useful. It is one reason I wish my other son would check his account in case BPP have put one on fast track in error (although no emails from BPP have indicated that and allBPP emails have made it clear it is the September start).

I cannot check the Office 365 or email account as I am the mere parent but when I can next pin down one of my sons to check I will remind him. I think the timetable is probably now available at least in some form on there and I know they both want to know which days and how many days a week they are going into BPP this term. [I will steer my "helicopter "away from this site once my sons start the course otherwise I will be known as the helicopter parent mother from hell..... but I have found it very useful so far]

On Leeds and London last year on the PGDL my non London son founds the admin at his smaller BPP course better than the London one - probably simply because of sheer weight of numbers in London making it harder to organise for BPP so I would not be surprised to hear if Leeds were ahead of London for the LPC too.
Hi Jane, I'm also signed up for the London one and what you're describing reflects what I can see too. I can now also view a grid timetable via the VLE, although it's currently empty.

I'm going to ring if they don't provide any information on the induction week in the next couple of days as I need to make plans to come to London!

Reactions: WRM19

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
That is useful - above.

My 'Start Here' page is a bit different, so your son might want to double check with BPP that he's on the correct intake.

On that page, I have 6 sections and the one about induction sessions says:

'Induction sessions and the links to access them will appear in your O365 calendar. You will have a welcome lecture from your Programme Leader and a welcome SGS from a tutor. It is essential that you attend both of these sessions. No preparation is required in advance of these sessions.

There will also be a session to introduce you to a variety of student services, including the library, Pro Bono, Careers and International Admissions.

More information about these sessions, including timing and links to the relevant rooms (virtual or physical), will be available in the 'Induction' tile
.'

There is also a section about the first SGSs which says:

'As mentioned above, in the first week, you need to attend one Practical Legal Research and Writing SGS and one Interviewing and Advising SGS. Details of these sessions and the links to access them will appear in your O365 calendar.
You will need to prepare for each of these SGSs. The expectation is that you should spend around three hours preparing for each SGS, in addition to watching the related online lecture(s).
Before you start any preparation, please read the LPC study guide and 'Succeeding on the LPC' found below.
You will receive access to the full materials for each of your modules a few days after you have registered. In the meantime, you can find copies of everything you need to prepare for the first week of teaching under the 'Preparation before teaching starts' tile and the ‘Preparation for the first week of teaching' tile.'

I hope this is useful.

Last edited:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
That is very helpful. We just found what you quoted now too . A lot of what is there for my son does seem to relate to the September intake (the correct intake) but still seeing some August references. Each time we look we see more so may be we were missing things last time. We did see a few references to things being available in due course but not yet. Eg
" Your Group and Personal Tutor

Your group number can be found in your online timetable but should you be unable to access it for any reason, below are the group lists for your cohort (this will be available here shortly). Use your BP ID number (SRN) to check which group you have been allocated to. "

He and I are going to have a word about it tomorrow lunchtime. He still thinks his timetable is not available but we will look together tomorrow.

He had an email today from BPP saying his text book is coming in late August but I am not sure if that also will include the other materials which I believe are physical materials which should also be coming (being sent from 9 August). Last year on the LPC some students had a lot of trouble getting these during the pandemic. He recently confirmed his address via the Hub for the book which I think is the Companies Act which is probably why he received the email about the book being on its way.

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
That is very helpful. We just found what you quoted now too . A lot of what is there for my son does seem to relate to the September intake (the correct intake) but still seeing some August references. Each time we look we see more so may be we were missing things last time. We did see a few references to things being available in due course but not yet. Eg
" Your Group and Personal Tutor

Your group number can be found in your online timetable but should you be unable to access it for any reason, below are the group lists for your cohort (this will be available here shortly). Use your BP ID number (SRN) to check which group you have been allocated to. "

He and I are going to have a word about it tomorrow lunchtime. He still thinks his timetable is not available but we will look together tomorrow.

He had an email today from BPP saying his text book is coming in late August but I am not sure if that also will include the other materials which I believe are physical materials which should also be coming (being sent from 9 August). Last year on the LPC some students had a lot of trouble getting these during the pandemic. He recently confirmed his address via the Hub for the book which I think is the Companies Act which is probably why he received the email about the book being on its way.
That sounds good. I also have some references to August Fast Track on there, but most of that content is blocked.

Also, I received my BPP materials last week, but I have not heard anything about the Company Law book yet.

It's not ideal that we all seem to be getting different information at different times and need a forum to find out what is happening though... I hope it's just due to us studying at different centres.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I find it very useful having people respond here. Neither of my sons have received their BPP materials. That may be because only one has confirmed the home addresss on the hub although BPP has had the address in its records for ages. So it is useful to know you have had your BPP materials. As to the company law book one of my sons on the hub filled out his address under a task on there about where to send the book hence his recent email received from BPP saying the book was on its way and he only recently completed that "task". The book comes from the the publishers direct, not BPP. If it is the same as my daughters had on the LPC years ago, it is just the Companies Act 2006 which is huge but only a statute . I am much more concerned neither of my sons has had the other "materials" as I think those are the materials / manuals etc which I believe you can take into the exams, mark up, learn inside out and mark with tabs and last year the rumour (which may not be true) was that those sponsored by big firms received those materials and others were told they would not find them as useful (which made no sense but we were in a pandemic so things were very difficult then) but that may just be a myth or I remembered it wrongly and I think BPP said it was untrue but it does make me slightly concerned neither of mine have any physical materials yet particularly as BPP says it started shipping materials on 9 August.

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
I find it very useful having people respond here. Neither of my sons have received their BPP materials. That may be because only one has confirmed the home addresss on the hub although BPP has had the address in its records for ages. So it is useful to know you have had your BPP materials. As to the company law book one of my sons on the hub filled out his address under a task on there about where to send the book hence his recent email received from BPP saying the book was on its way and he only recently completed that "task". The book comes from the the publishers direct, not BPP. If it is the same as my daughters had on the LPC years ago, it is just the Companies Act 2006 which is huge but only a statute . I am much more concerned neither of my sons has had the other "materials" as I think those are the materials / manuals etc which I believe you can take into the exams, mark up, learn inside out and mark with tabs and last year the rumour (which may not be true) was that those sponsored by big firms received those materials and others were told they would not find them as useful (which made no sense but we were in a pandemic so things were very difficult then) but that may just be a myth or I remembered it wrongly and I think BPP said it was untrue but it does make me slightly concerned neither of mine have any physical materials yet particularly as BPP says it started shipping materials on 9 August.
Yes, I actually received the materials shortly after filling in that form. Maybe I need to go back and fill in my term time address again to receive the statute book.

Yes, the materials have all the information needed for the core modules. I believe everybody receives them, as they seem essential to the whole course. This year we can take any hard copy materials and own notes in the exam, or at least that's what it says on the hub in the section with programme information.

I am only part sponsored by my firm (BPP still have me down as self funded), so I don't think they are prioritizing sponsored students - but again, it might be different in different centres.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    That sounds good. I also have some references to August Fast Track on there, but most of that content is blocked.

Also, I received my BPP materials last week, but I have not heard anything about the Company Law book yet.

It's not ideal that we all seem to be getting different information at different times and need a forum to find out what is happening though... I hope it's just due to us studying at different centres.
    How long did it take for your materials to come after you filled in the form out of interest?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    About a week if I remember correctly. However, I still haven't received the statute book.

I am going to study in Leeds though, so there might be some differences depending on the centre you're studying at.
    Ah okay that's useful to know as I only filled in the form yesterday. Did you get any confirmation it was being shipped or anything or did it just turn up at your door haha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.