BPP LPC help. 3Days?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
My son received an email confirmation to his BPP email address that the law book had been shipped to arrive later in August - I presume it will come any day now from the book publishers (but nothing about the materials).
I am not sure if my other son has even completed the Hub task of giving home address for materials/book so that is obviously going to mean he won't have them until he does that.

I do think BPP when they emailed the course dates could have added - "you will not receive vital materials for the course unless you log on the Hub and complete two separate tasks about addresses. Please do this right away". Not everyone will be looking at the hub or be keen enough to want to start pre-reading.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
Out of interest, are the induction / welcome lecture and SGS in the first week online or in person?
I don't think it's made clear (although my sons don't have their timetables yet - but they do need to check that again to be sure as it is possible they are there now eg AOD above has the timetable). I suspect those first week sessions are online but I might be wrong. Possibly it is for everyone in the whole cohort rather than your group of 20 but I am just guessing. May be there is some kind of code on the personal timetable to make it clear. It would be useful for people to know the first face to face session when they go in. That is probably going to be the first session with your specific group.

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question and I clearly ought to do more research but I was wondering how do most people choose the elective modules on the LPC/LLM? are there some modules that would be generally more attractive to firms than others? Do firms mostly require specific modules?? I know this is probably very basic but any advice on how to go about choosing the modules would be appreciated.

:)

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
Out of interest, are the induction / welcome lecture and SGS in the first week online or in person?
Only one of the sessions on my timetable ('Induction SGS') has a physical location on the calendar invite. There are no locations or links for the others so far.

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question and I clearly ought to do more research but I was wondering how do most people choose the elective modules on the LPC/LLM? are there some modules that would be generally more attractive to firms than others? Do firms mostly require specific modules?? I know this is probably very basic but any advice on how to go about choosing the modules would be appreciated.

:)
My firm is happy with me choosing the modules I want, but I know some firms ask their trainees to take specific modules. I am going to take modules that are relevant to the firm I am joining just to have a bit more awareness of the basics, but I think you need to think about the firm you'd like to join (if you don't have a TC already) and check their requirements (if any).

I hope this is helpful, maybe other future trainees have a bit more insight into this.

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
My firm is happy with me choosing the modules I want, but I know some firms ask their trainees to take specific modules. I am going to take modules that are relevant to the firm I am joining just to have a bit more awareness of the basics, but I think you need to think about the firm you'd like to join (if you don't have a TC already) and check their requirements (if any).

I hope this is helpful, maybe other future trainees have a bit more insight into this.
thank you! - My problem is that Ido not have a TC yet and don't want to tailor it to any one specific firm - oh well nothing is made easy for us aspiring lawyers 🤦‍♀️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thank you! - My problem is that Ido not have a TC yet and don't want to tailor it to any one specific firm - oh well nothing is made easy for us aspiring lawyers 🤦‍♀️
If you are doing it of your own accord, I wouldn’t really concern yourselves about which modules to choose. But at the same time, it would be slightly surprising to see someone choose all non commercial electives and then want to work in a commercial law firm.

• 🏆
Reactions: SS1

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
On delivery of BPP materials: My son who had given his delivery address on The Hub has just now this morning received the materials in a big box (the company book will be coming separately). I think he confirmed his address on the hub on 24 August so only 2 days ago. His twin does not have his yet - not sure if he's confirmed his address (he is working full time as a paralegal until Friday and very busy so probably has not had time yet).

On electives if someone is not sponsored by a firm which specifies the ones to be taken, there is some guidance on the BPP Hub about how to decide. You do not need to decide yet and I believe people will be emailed in due course at the point of having to choose them.

Last edited:

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
On deliver of BPP materials: My son who had given his delivery address on The Hub has just now this morning received the materials in a big box (the company book will be coming separately). I think he confirmed his address on the hub on 24 August so only 2 days ago. His twin does not have his yet - not sure if he's confirmed his address (he is working full time as a paralegal until Friday and very busy so probably has not had time yet).

On electrives if not sponrosred by a firm telling you which ones to do, there is some guidance on the BPP Hub about how to decide. You do not need to decide yet and I believe people will be emailed in due course at the point of having to choose them.
brilliant - thank you

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
This suggests that session will be in person in that case so thanks for posting it ......"Only one of the sessions on my timetable ('Induction SGS') has a physical location on the calendar invite. There are no locations or links for the others so far." It would be very useful for everyone to know for certain if they need to go in, as it might be the first time their group meets. It would probably be better to go in at the start for that, even if not everyone will do, to meet other people, get into the building etc.

I checked with one of my sons again last night and his timetable is not showing yet so he notified BPP on their contact form just in case he was forgotten. As he did the PGDL with them last year is familiar with their timetable and how to find it so we are pretty certainly he is not just accidentally missing it. They probably have not quite finished all the timetables yet. His twin has now notified BPP that his choice is exams online but I do not think has had time to tell them his address for the materials/book yet but I am sure he will do that soon.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I just rang BPP and they said that all timetables should be released by the end of today
Thanks although my son just received this message below from his query to BPP yesterday ... saying something different -

"Your timetable will be released next week. Unfortunately, we cannot provide it before this point. "

Last edited:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
(By the way, this seems very unlikely, but my son said his friend was told in the last week that when the friend called BPP to ask why they had not heard about the part time LPC they were going to do that it has been cancelled due to lack of demand. I only heard that second hand but it seems a bit strange given how many people want to do the LPC part time whilst doing full time work).

Reactions: WRM19

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Thanks although my son just received this message below from his query to BPP yesterday ... saying something different -

"Your timetable will be released next week. Unfortunately, we cannot provide it before this point. "
Thanks for letting me know! It's quite frustrating that they're being so last minute and also inconsistent in what they're telling people

WRM19

M&A Bootcamp
Aug 11, 2020
Hi all, I have similarly been waiting for my timetable, and its now appeared - well, my SGSs have at least (lots of 9ams😂). They appeared in my outlook calendar as opposed to the VLE timetable!

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Hi all, I have similarly been waiting for my timetable, and its now appeared - well, my SGSs have at least (lots of 9ams😂). They appeared in my outlook calendar as opposed to the VLE timetable!
Thanks! Are you at the London campus and are you sponsored? Mine still isn’t there

also what’s the induction week looking like? Thank you :)

Reactions: WRM19

WRM19

M&A Bootcamp
Aug 11, 2020
Thanks! Are you at the London campus and are you sponsored? Mine still isn’t there

also what’s the induction week looking like? Thank you :)
Hey! Yes, I’m in Holborn, sponsored by BCLP. What about you? And oddly.. the induction week hasn’t come up yet for me! Only the SGS up until December 😅

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.