BPP LPC help. 3Days?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
Yes, sorry - week off week of 14 Feb for those assessments so no seminars week of 14th (and the 14 January is the Drafting exam). I have corrected my post above so as not to confuse people. I suspect that week of 14 Feb might be around half term week time which might be why it is structured that way with that week "off" (although not really "off" in the relaxing sense, as people will be busy taking those assessments)

M&A

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Oct 5, 2019
Hi @Jane Smith

Can your sons see their timetable in their outlook calendars or somewhere else in the Hub?

I cannot see mine in neither. But I also had to chase BPP to make my outlook work in September... so not sure if there are still syncing issues...

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

M&A

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
In both Outlook and the virtual learning environment (VLE) (I think the VLE is not much used. If you click on 31 Jan 2022 - the first day in 2022 for my sons at least that has an SGS we can see it there (Solicitors Accounts in their case).
if you cannot see yours it may be worth raising a query with BPP about it. I would imagine everyone's would come out together. If you are in touch with others in your own group from last term perhaps ask them to check too as my twins are in the same group this coming new term as last term and same days of the week (until the electives at end of March).

Good luck to everyone with their revision for the January exams.

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and AvniD

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I just managed to pin one of the twins down about Inspera. I am calling it the "I" word in this house as they think I am nagging them about it and one is calling me good humouredly his "personal tutor" (not that I have looked at any of the real law work so I am not being too bad).

Today a few immediate issues for us particularly 1 and 2:-

1. His computer does not have a web cam. Everyone else should check that ASAP. He now has mine but is going to buy a new one very shortly before the exams and install it once he has the newer version of Windows installed.
2. His computer uses windows 7 yet Inspera's exam software for next week's exams needs windows 8 or 10 (read the Inspera pdf guide about the exams as it is there on page 1). So he is going to install the latest version of Windows. That will affect a lot of his programmes so first he is going to buy a hard disk as had no spare one to download his files to safety first which is very wise but all this takes time. His twin has an Apple mac laptop for the exams, but is too busy to look into it all yet.
3. His computer is wired in to the phone line and does not use wifi so if it cuts out I think he cannot then move to our second wifi connection but hopefully it won't or he will just log out and get back on. I thought all personal computers could search for wifi connections. Anyway hopefully that is not an issue and the line will not cut out in the exams.
4. He needs to remove from the room his second computer screen as you can only have one (and his lap top and phone etc etc).
5. As you have to show the room at floor and higher level at the start of the exam on the webcam I would recommend people tidy their rooms as well as removing every electronic device from the room other than that on which you are working.
6. For him, as well as scrolling up and down, being able to spell check is important (there is something about this in the Inspera guide and it makes it clear spell check will be available).

More generally read the Guide as well as the the latest email from BPP about the exams and ideally watch the December video.

I can understand my twins concentrating on the legal material and revision, not Inspera, but for those doing online exams being able to take the exam because your computer will work with this stuff is just as important.

I don't think we were sure at what point the exam starts but I think there will be a count down or timer in the software and I believe once he tests it next week it will be clearer. Remember you cannot take any breaks during the exam so don't eat and drink much before and have any water to hand in case of thirst. As I joke, if you have bladder issues stock up on adult nappies now. it is only 2 hours so for most people should be no problems and everyone will be used to this from university exams held in person and A levels anyway.

As he has not downloaded the new version of Windows yet he has not installed the Inspera software. I think it can be tested up to 72 hours before the exam. We have not looked into what virus software may have to be uninstalled, if any, nor what his twin might have to disable on an apple mac (Siri from memory).

Mine are committed to doing the exams online, but in case anyone is unsure I believe people have until 4 January to switch from those in the exam hall to online (I am not sure if you can switch the other way however as I have not checked that).

Again my usual caveat is added that these are just my rough notes and might not be an accurate description of the proctored exam rules.

Reactions: AOD and WRM19

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Hi. Is anyone else having issues accessing the hub at the moment?
    Yes! It’s extremely slow from both laptop and mobile app, and when I did get in earlier it looked empty... but my PGDL timetable is still visible on my BPP Office account so I didn’t have a *full* heart attack at least.

Reactions: SS1

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My son also said the Hub was down or slow yesterday (he wanted to watch one of the lecture videos for revision, but I think looked at other material instead due to the problem with the Hub). That is one reason that son (with the Apple Mac laptop for the exams ) looked at the Inspera Guide for the exams by the way yesterday afternoon. That went fine - he disabled Siri function on his apple mac laptop on which he will do the exams and then downloaded the Inspera software and then did its initial test. He did not go on the main test you are allowed to do on one occasion only before the exams, however, as waiting until a bit closer to the exams. His twin is waiting until he has windows 10, his hard drive has come and his new webcam later this week.

I think the Hub may be okay this morning so far as I believe my other son was on it. I don't know if it is like peak times for wifi use and when more people are using it at once it is slower perhaps?

Reactions: SS1 and Staples

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    It's been on and off all morning again! I don't think it's to do with peak wifi use but more of an issue on BPP's side as it often says that the materials can't be accessed because I need to enrol. I wonder if it's because they're setting up accounts for people who are starting in January and the server can't take it all at once!

It's very frustrating with just a week to go before exams begin

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    It's been on and off all morning again! I don't think it's to do with peak wifi use but more of an issue on BPP's side as it often says that the materials can't be accessed because I need to enrol. I wonder if it's because they're setting up accounts for people who are starting in January and the server can't take it all at once!

It's very frustrating with just a week to go before exams begin
    They’re definitely doing some work on their side. I’m a January starter and a few days ago (immediately before the xmas break) a deadline that didn’t apply to me appeared on my profile. I let them know and they said it was a mistake on their part, but I could still see that deadline. The Hub was down for me most of yesterday and again this morning, but now I managed to log in, everything looks alright and the mysterious deadline has disappeared. Here’s hoping it won’t crash again...

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Yes, very bad timing with exams a week today... The Hub says" Please note: we have received reports that some students may be experiencing issues when logging into the Hub. We are aware of it and are working to resolve this as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause".

Reactions: SS1

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    For those doing the online proctored exams starting next Monday I was just looking at the Inspera Exam Portal User Guide for the proctored exams - your main guide for next week's exams. Random thoughts below-

I would have ready on the day:-
    1. Your BPP student card (or driving licence if you don't have that and I think passport) for the ID check at the start.
    2. You BPP email address and your BPP password.
    3. Your BPP student number which will be on your student card
    4. I think I read you need your group number too - the group for the SGS sessions you have been in, but I might be wrong about that as did not see it today.
    5. Paper and pencil - you might want to jot down notes when going through the exam (or see 2.4 below be given on screen a once only code which disappears from the screen when you move to the next stage in such an emergency if you need to submit the exam after being disconnected - unlikely but possible)
    6. Have the log back on code of ab1234 written down and print out the Guide itself so you can refer to it if needed in the exam.
    7. Have your non scientific basic calculator without a cover ready
    8. Remember to plug in a lap top rather than hope the battery lasts.
    9. A glass of water if you need one and obviously all your written materials you may need in easy reach but you cannot get up and move around so everything must be to hand.

A few other points - the user guide is the most important thing to read. After the photo is taken and your ID check is done I believe the exam then starts and you have up to 5 minutes to sweep the room at chest and floor level slowly for about a minute.

Para 1.3 - at least 72 hours before the first exam download the software and test it. I think the first exam is 10am on Monday. Therefore do it before 10am this Friday. Ideally do that on Wednesday or Thursday of this week in my view in case you have a complicated technical problem to solve with BPP or Inspera which I doubt would be easy to handle over the weekend.

1.4 of the guide says about 48 hours before the exam "your exam will appear on your IEP". If it is not there email inspera. So 48 hours before is Saturday morning at 10am. I would imagine that applies to every exam as you go through the January exams so check after each exam for the next one appearing.

Read the Guide ( https://www.bppstudents.com/pageass...es/assessments/inspera/IEP-Guide-16th-Nov.pdf ) and there are links to 4 very very short videos in the guide people should watch (para 1.3 demo of how to test the software , 2.3 (ID checks video) (2.9 submitting your assessment - on this one right by the way at the end of the exam after you click submit (which you cannot undo) do not close anything off for a bit or you might stop the upload - just leave it all so Inspera has time to upload your work) and video at para 2.10 "submitting without internet" if you cannot reconnect during the exam if disconnected which hopefully you won't need but is worth watching - in that case your answers save to your computer under its normal downloads file - you cannot open the file but you can submit it in that kind of an emergency situation).

There was also that December 2021 video session around 15 December that was put on about the exams before Christmas.

Also read the 22 December BPP email about the exams.

Yas22

Sep 30, 2019
    Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I just had a question regarding in person assessments for the LPC at BPP (Holborn). Has anyone received an email or any information about the exam venue? Exams start next week so it is quite worrying that they haven't told us where our exams will be held.

Reactions: WRM19

Putt5353

Nov 20, 2021
    Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I just had a question regarding in person assessments for the LPC at BPP (Holborn). Has anyone received an email or any information about the exam venue? Exams start next week so it is quite worrying that they haven't told us where our exams will be held.
    No nothing yet for me either

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    One of my sons says those whoa re doing it in person have now just been told where it is - somewhere in Waterloo. I presume they had an email today.

Attachments

• 1641398507255.png
      1641398507255.png
      25.6 KB · Views: 19
    Last edited:

Yas22

Sep 30, 2019
    Do you know if the drafting exam is taking place in person, as I’ve not received the time/location for this - so not sure if everyone is doing that online?
    The drafting exam isn't taking place in person. Instead, we have to download the drafting paper and answer booklet when it's released on Friday and then we have to upload it via Turnitin on The Hub. If you click on the BLP module and scroll all the way down you'll see the 'Drafting Summative Assessment' tab and that's where we access it.

Putt5353

Nov 20, 2021
    The drafting exam isn't taking place in person. Instead, we have to download the drafting paper and answer booklet when it's released on Friday and then we have to upload it via Turnitin on The Hub. If you click on the BLP module and scroll all the way down you'll see the 'Drafting Summative Assessment' tab and that's where we access it.
    Thank you! 🙏

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi everyone! Thank you for all the advice thus far, especially @Jane Smith :)

Was just wondering, as I could not find much about this on the inspera guides, whether our written materials must be in the line of sight of the webcam at all times? I place my books and files beside the laptop whilst working and so it "disappears" from the camera's view.

I understand that my face has to be seen at all times and I cannot leave the room. But should my rough paper, pens and all files be within the line of sight? I tested inspera's camera and it seems that only my face is recorded on the screen, so i might just be paranoid at this point.

Thank you!

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Hi everyone! Thank you for all the advice thus far, especially @Jane Smith :)

Was just wondering, as I could not find much about this on the inspera guides, whether our written materials must be in the line of sight of the webcam at all times? I place my books and files beside the laptop whilst working and so it "disappears" from the camera's view.

I understand that my face has to be seen at all times and I cannot leave the room. But should my rough paper, pens and all files be within the line of sight? I tested inspera's camera and it seems that only my face is recorded on the screen, so i might just be paranoid at this point.

Thank you!
    No, they don't need to be in sight. When you do your room scan, you'll capture your notes and files etc. on the desk and floor etc. Just keep everything in your hand's reach as you can't get up.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.