Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018

Just to make things a little more complicated, there is also a lot of talk of a 'no deal no deal' and a 'managed no deal'

https://mlexmarketinsight.com/insig...ed-no-deal-brexit-spells-major-miscalculation

Although some claim this option doesnt actually exist, but the term has been thrown around a lot in the media in the last few days.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/no-such-thing-managed-no-deal-brexit

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It's a very big day for the UK tomorrow. The House of Commons will be voting on Theresa May's Brexit deal at around 7pm. If May fails to convince a majority, she will be forced to present a new plan within three days (to explain this further, I've copied a snapshot of our TCLA Premium weekly roundup below).

Hi All,

Here are the key news stories I've picked out in the last week. You are very welcome to post any answers to the questions or comments you have below.

Theresa May suffers another defeat
    • The House of Commons spent last week debating Theresa May's Brexit deal, which will be put to a vote on Tuesday 15 January. The vote was supposed to take place last month, but it was postponed by May after she conceded the deal would be defeated.
    • One of the main stories of last week was the controversial decision by the Commons Speaker, John Bercow, to allow a vote that would require the government to come back with a "Plan B" in three days if the Brexit deal is not passed on Tuesday. The amendment was passed by MPs by 308 votes to 297 in another defeat to Theresa May's government.
    • This ruling drastically shortens the timeline for May who originally had 21 days to return to the Commons for a further vote. The further vote could include anything from a "managed no-deal" to another referendum.
    Question: "In times of uncertainty, businesses rely on law firms for advice. A no-deal Brexit will be a good thing for law firms." Do you agree?
    /QUOTE]

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Does anyone have a feel for the situation for future TCs post Brexit if there is no deal? It's been on my mind but I haven't had the courage to ask a partner at an AC!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Does anyone have a feel for the situation for future TCs post Brexit if there is no deal? It's been on my mind but I haven't had the courage to ask a partner at an AC!

I was asked a similar question by a partner in my Ashurst TC interview. He asked me whether I thought Brexit would affect my chances of working in the UK. When I told him that I thought it wouldn’t, he agreed and said he actually saw Brexit as a good hiring opportunity, particularly where non-EU citizens were concerned. So the impression I got was that he was not concerned about TC numbers post-Brexit, though this wasn’t strictly in a no-deal context.

I think its a good question to raise at an interview, but be prepared for the question to be flipped back to you i.e., be ready to have your own opinion on the issue, in case they decide to ask you the same thing!

Last edited:

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I was actually asked a very similar question by a partner in my Ashurst TC interview. He asked me whether I thought Brexit would affect my chances of working in the UK. When I told him that I thought it wouldn’t, he agreed and said he actually saw Brexit as a good hiring opportunity, particularly where non-EU citizens were concerned. So the impression I got was that he wasn’t particularly concerned about TC numbers post-Brexit.

I am encouraged to hear this as I was wondering from a pure "amount of work" perspective rather than the legalities for EU/non-EU citizens. Thank you.

Reactions: Abstruser

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I am encouraged to hear this as I was wondering from a pure "amount of work" perspective rather than the legalities for EU/non-EU citizens. Thank you.

No worries! As I said, the fact that he saw Brexit as a hiring opportunity gave me the indication that he wasn’t really concerned about any shortage of work post-Brexit. This view of course could differ from firm to firm, or person to person!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Helena and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.