Burges Salmon vac scheme

sakaesr99

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Would appreciate some help with this question on the Burges Salmon vac scheme: "As an independent UK firm what do you think are the main challenges and opportunities that Burges Salmon could face over the next five years?"

Would it be valid to discuss the challenges of keeping up with City/international firms while maintaining the identity that differentiates Burges? For example, they have a very collaborative/collegiate culture as almost all its lawyers work from its Bristol base; opening up more offices may make it easier to compete but may have effects on culture, and vice versa.

But then discuss the opportunities the firm's identity affords; its independence is a differentiating factor that clients value. Maintaining client relations is arguably more important than ever in the post-pandemic world and the firm excels on this front. WIth its workers situated mainly in the Bristol office the firm can also focus more on community-based pro bono work, and do it in a collaborative way which involves the whole firm; this will attract clients of the future who are paying more and more attention to ESG issues. Remote working will also help the firm remain flexible and may downplay its lack of physical offices, as will the firm's involvement in international networks.

Does all this sound fine?

Last edited:
Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @Harryross98,

Thank you for the question. I think it is really good to collaborate on these sorts of question as people will often interpret these questions in different and interesting ways!

You sound like you have some really interesting thoughts on this. I think the most important thing is to structure your answer in a way that makes it easy for the reader to follow. Try to make your reasons distinct (or at least easy to digest). Recruiters will appreciate answers which show an ability to present an argument clearly and concisely, as this is a really valuable skill as a commercial lawyer. So don't be afraid to signpost at the start of a paragraph to tell the reader what you are going to cover in that paragraph. I often started applications by saying, "The first reason that X firm is Y is because Z", before developing that reason further.

Very happy to go into more detail on this if you would like. You have clearly done some great thinking on this though. Keep going!

Reactions: AvniD

sakaesr99

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Hi @Harryross98,

Thank you for the question. I think it is really good to collaborate on these sorts of question as people will often interpret these questions in different and interesting ways!

You sound like you have some really interesting thoughts on this. I think the most important thing is to structure your answer in a way that makes it easy for the reader to follow. Try to make your reasons distinct (or at least easy to digest). Recruiters will appreciate answers which show an ability to present an argument clearly and concisely, as this is a really valuable skill as a commercial lawyer. So don't be afraid to signpost at the start of a paragraph to tell the reader what you are going to cover in that paragraph. I often started applications by saying, "The first reason that X firm is Y is because Z", before developing that reason further.

Very happy to go into more detail on this if you would like. You have clearly done some great thinking on this though. Keep going!
Thanks for the reply George really appreciated it!!

ive actually submitted this app but I think I did signpost each para, I’ll def make sure to do so in the future

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks for the reply George really appreciated it!!

ive actually submitted this app but I think I did signpost each para, I’ll def make sure to do so in the future
@Harryross98 that's great to hear. I am happy to hear that it was helpful.

Apologies for not getting to this sooner.

Please do reach out if you would like any further advice. Fingers crossed for you :)

Reactions: sakaesr99

Salma_x_

Dec 15, 2021
Hi,

So I'm writing an answer on the Burges Salmon Vacation scheme, but I'm currently stuck on the last question. Which key sectors will generate the most work for the firm in the next financial year and why?

As I am aware of the key sectors as well as the impact COVID has had on them. However, I'm just unsure about which sector will generate the most work.

Any thoughts as to how I should approach this question?

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

So I'm writing an answer on the Burges Salmon Vacation scheme, but I'm currently stuck on the last question. Which key sectors will generate the most work for the firm in the next financial year and why?

As I am aware of the key sectors as well as the impact COVID has had on them. However, I'm just unsure about which sector will generate the most work.

Review your business news knowledge- what sectors/types of businesses do you see as coming up often? Do they align with any of the firm's sector expertise?

Once you've identified which sector you want to talk about, try following this structure and repeat it for at least 3 sectors-

State the sector ➡️ why will this generate work for the firm? (link to firm's clients, previous deals, sector and practice expertise, rankings etc. ) ➡️ *BONUS* which offices will this sector engage and any opportunities for growth for the firm

• 🏆

sakaesr99

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Hi,

I got an assessment centre and discussed the energy sector and the switch to clean energy. You can choose any sector but the firm are big on energy and you can tie it in to their strong esg policies. The article in the CLA’s commercial awareness sector is a great place to start!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.