Capital or no Capital that is the question?

SJamal

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
I am currently inserting the work experience section of an application form. I don't whether my supervisor position needs be in a capital, see extract below:

As the sole Paralegal, I review and advise on all commercial contracts received by the business as well as providing legal support to the firm's Contracts Lawyer.

Does "Contracts Lawyer" need to be in capitals as my position being a paralegal is?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    'To summarise the capitalisation of job titles, you capitalise the job title when it comes immediately before the name, in a formal context or in a direct address. It is not generally capitalised if it comes after the person's name, or if there is a "the" before it.' So, in this case, I would put it in lowercase :)

SJamal

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    'To summarise the capitalisation of job titles, you capitalise the job title when it comes immediately before the name, in a formal context or in a direct address. It is not generally capitalised if it comes after the person's name, or if there is a "the" before it.' So, in this case, I would put it in lowercase :)

Just to be clear, does Paralegal does not need to be capitalised either right?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    If you are referring to a team, I'm assuming its need to be in capitals? See below:

"the Legal team's services" or "During my placement in the Corporate team"

I wouldn't capitalise either. Only capitalise if you are referring to the official name/title of a department, so you could say: "During my placement in Corporate".

Reactions: Mamie and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.