Car Crash Interview anecdotes

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    With the application season in full swing, I was thinking back through some of the trials and tribulations of my own experiences going through the process. With that in mind, I wanted to share the story of my first interview- hopefully, as a bit of reassurance (and a good laugh) for those who are currently in the midst of application madness. Suffice to say, it was a train wreck.

It was November 2018 when I applied for a first year scheme with a Magic Circle firm. It was my first ever 'proper' application and, frankly, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. To my surprise, I received an invitation to an assessment centre.

Now, as a preface to the rest of the story, I had been feeling slightly under the weather for about a week preceding this invitation: I was still recovering from an emergency spinal operation I had needed a couple of months prior (a story for another day), so I put it down to this and duly carried on with life.

I spent the next couple of weeks preparing for this interview, all the while having absolutely no idea what I was doing. This was my first ever interview for literally anything, so it's fair to say I was diving in at the deep end. Soon enough, it was the final days leading up to the interview. I'd been feeling steadily more unwell in the lead up to this, but, in all my wisdom, figured it was best to "just power through", as I put it to a mate at the time, until this interview was over.

As the interview day arrived, I woke up in the AirBnB (I had travelled from Aberdeen to London for the interview), and knew as soon as my alarm went that I was struggling. I felt like death warmed up: clammy, shivering, brain was cloudy and I definitely wasn't firing on all cylinders. I put this down to pre-interview jitters, got suited up and made my way to the firm's office after a couple of strong coffees.

A short while after arriving, I was called to the first competency interview by a Senior Associate whose questions I stumbled and waffled through. My brain and mouth decided it would be a great time to stop working in tandem, and I was barely able to get through the first few questions without a lot of rambling and very little substance in my answers. Unfortunately, I'm a terrible judge of time so had no idea how long the interview was going on for, which really didn't help. Eventually, it was finished... the quality of my answers had picked up slightly towards the end, but I knew it wasn't going well at all.

Little did I know, however, that the competency interview had been a field of dreams in comparison to what was about to happen in the subsequent Partner-led case study interview. Again, I'd never done a case study interview before and this was before I knew of groups like Rare who could offer practice resources.

I'll spare all the toe-curling, wince-inducing detail at this point, but, suffice to say, it didn't go very well. I had absolutely zero idea what I was doing and, worse still, was feeling more and more ill by the minute. From what I remember (I think I've perhaps repressed some of the worst bits in the deepest parts of my subconscious by now), I could barely answer a single question and, for the most part, had almost no clue what I was even being asked.

After the first competency interview, I had become resigned to the overwhelming probability that I would be rejected from the scheme and, by the end of the case study interview, I was desperate to simply be put out of my misery and have the day finish. Mercifully, that time arrived and I left the office utterly dejected and, more pressing, feeling like I was about to keel over at any minute.

I managed to find my way to the nearest hospital (by this time it was about 7pm) and was urgently rushed to have bloods taken. The results? Septicaemia, caused by complications from the scar that was still healing from my spinal surgery prior. I was taken to a ward as I would need some IV antibiotics and also some further surgery to fix the problem... and, believe it or not, completely forgotten about. The staff at the hospital forgot to come and give me any antibiotics and also forgot to put me on the list for surgery in spite of me asking several times. I eventually had to discharge myself at around 1am and, because the tubes were off and I wasn't carrying my wallet (had left it in the AirBnB as it looked awfully bulky in my suit trousers... not a mistake I'll make again) so couldn't pay for anything (hadn't set up Apple Pay on that phone), walked to the next-closest hospital. I arrived about an hour later, explained the situation and was finally taken care of.

A few days later, I was phoned by someone from the Grad Rec team of the firm I'd had the interview at- who didn't know anything of my illness- and, shocker, didn't get the scheme. They certainly didn't pull any punches in the feedback part of the call... although didn't quite know what to say when I explained the full context for my sub-par performance.

I guess the moral to the story is that horror interviews will absolutely happen, it's a part of the journey and, as horrendous as they are at the time, they give you a bar to try and beat in the future. Hopefully nobody reading this will have to go through quite as much of a train wreck as that and, instead, it can serve as a humorous line in the sand for "hey, at least it wasn't as bad as his" to those currently applying. I've learned to laugh at it now, but I still wouldn't recommend attending an interview with blood poisoning.

Please do share your own experiences of car crash interviews below! I think we can all benefit from a little laugh at our own expense every now and then.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    With the application season in full swing, I was thinking back through some of the trials and tribulations of my own experiences going through the process. With that in mind, I wanted to share the story of my first interview- hopefully, as a bit of reassurance (and a good laugh) for those who are currently in the midst of application madness. Suffice to say, it was a train wreck.

It was November 2018 when I applied for a first year scheme with a Magic Circle firm. It was my first ever 'proper' application and, frankly, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. To my surprise, I received an invitation to an assessment centre.

Now, as a preface to the rest of the story, I had been feeling slightly under the weather for about a week preceding this invitation: I was still recovering from an emergency spinal operation I had needed a couple of months prior (a story for another day), so I put it down to this and duly carried on with life.

I spent the next couple of weeks preparing for this interview, all the while having absolutely no idea what I was doing. This was my first ever interview for literally anything, so it's fair to say I was diving in at the deep end. Soon enough, it was the final days leading up to the interview. I'd been feeling steadily more unwell in the lead up to this, but, in all my wisdom, figured it was best to "just power through", as I put it to a mate at the time, until this interview was over.

As the interview day arrived, I woke up in the AirBnB (I had travelled from Aberdeen to London for the interview), and knew as soon as my alarm went that I was struggling. I felt like death warmed up: clammy, shivering, brain was cloudy and I definitely wasn't firing on all cylinders. I put this down to pre-interview jitters, got suited up and made my way to the firm's office after a couple of strong coffees.

A short while after arriving, I was called to the first competency interview by a Senior Associate whose questions I stumbled and waffled through. My brain and mouth decided it would be a great time to stop working in tandem, and I was barely able to get through the first few questions without a lot of rambling and very little substance in my answers. Unfortunately, I'm a terrible judge of time so had no idea how long the interview was going on for, which really didn't help. Eventually, it was finished... the quality of my answers had picked up slightly towards the end, but I knew it wasn't going well at all.

Little did I know, however, that the competency interview had been a field of dreams in comparison to what was about to happen in the subsequent Partner-led case study interview. Again, I'd never done a case study interview before and this was before I knew of groups like Rare who could offer practice resources.

I'll spare all the toe-curling, wince-inducing detail at this point, but, suffice to say, it didn't go very well. I had absolutely zero idea what I was doing and, worse still, was feeling more and more ill by the minute. From what I remember (I think I've perhaps repressed some of the worst bits in the deepest parts of my subconscious by now), I could barely answer a single question and, for the most part, had almost no clue what I was even being asked.

After the first competency interview, I had become resigned to the overwhelming probability that I would be rejected from the scheme and, by the end of the case study interview, I was desperate to simply be put out of my misery and have the day finish. Mercifully, that time arrived and I left the office utterly dejected and, more pressing, feeling like I was about to keel over at any minute.

I managed to find my way to the nearest hospital (by this time it was about 7pm) and was urgently rushed to have bloods taken. The results? Septicaemia, caused by complications from the scar that was still healing from my spinal surgery prior. I was taken to a ward as I would need some IV antibiotics and also some further surgery to fix the problem... and, believe it or not, completely forgotten about. The staff at the hospital forgot to come and give me any antibiotics and also forgot to put me on the list for surgery in spite of me asking several times. I eventually had to discharge myself at around 1am and, because the tubes were off and I wasn't carrying my wallet (had left it in the AirBnB as it looked awfully bulky in my suit trousers... not a mistake I'll make again) so couldn't pay for anything (hadn't set up Apple Pay on that phone), walked to the next-closest hospital. I arrived about an hour later, explained the situation and was finally taken care of.

A few days later, I was phoned by someone from the Grad Rec team of the firm I'd had the interview at- who didn't know anything of my illness- and, shocker, didn't get the scheme. They certainly didn't pull any punches in the feedback part of the call... although didn't quite know what to say when I explained the full context for my sub-par performance.

I guess the moral to the story is that horror interviews will absolutely happen, it's a part of the journey and, as horrendous as they are at the time, they give you a bar to try and beat in the future. Hopefully nobody reading this will have to go through quite as much of a train wreck as that and, instead, it can serve as a humorous line in the sand for "hey, at least it wasn't as bad as his" to those currently applying. I've learned to laugh at it now, but I still wouldn't recommend attending an interview with blood poisoning.

Please do share your own experiences of car crash interviews below! I think we can all benefit from a little laugh at our own expense every now and then.
    Wow! That definitely beats my worst of 'swearing' during an interview! Septicaemia... jeez I would have loved to have heard GradRec's response when you said that's one of the reasons why you performed so poorly haha

• Haha
    Reactions: Jacob Miller

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019

Thanks for sharing Jacob! I totally agree- we definitely can all benefit from a laugh at our mishaps.
    I will never forget my first interview experience at a commercial law firm, where I was so nervous I got stuck in the revolving door :/ Luckily I was swiftly aided by a member of staff, but nevertheless it's fair to say that I took extra care at my following interviews!

I think that this thread serves as a great reminder of how much room there is for development during the application process. An unsuccessful interview is far from the end of the road. Sometimes a rejection is simply a delay necessary to allow you to improve on your abilities or to redirect you to the right firm.

My biggest advice is to make the most of every experience and use it to guide your next steps.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I stress to people to reschedule if you are not well. The firm will much prefer to reschedule you so you can perform to the best of your ability rather than risk your health (or if you are struggling with anything that can be passed on risking their employees health too). It’s just not worth it as a firm can’t really quantify how your illness impacts your performance and many times they can’t justify seeing you again.

I know people can be worried that they will miss their opportunity, but trust me from doing this for the last 16 years, it’s much better to ask to be rescheduled rather than turning up and not being well enough to do well in assessments.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I stress to people to reschedule if you are not well. The firm will much prefer to reschedule you so you can perform to the best of your ability rather than risk your health (or if you are struggling with anything that can be passed on risking their employees health too). It’s just not worth it as a firm can’t really quantify how your illness impacts your performance and many times they can’t justify seeing you again.

I know people can be worried that they will miss their opportunity, but trust me from doing this for the last 16 years, it’s much better to ask to be rescheduled rather than turning up and not being well enough to do well in assessments.
    I totally agree. I'd never recommend to anyone to carry on as I did- it's never worth it! Another 12 hours down the line and I could have ended up in septic shock so it wasn't worth the risk!

Thankfully, I've never been unwell before an interview since- I would definitely be reporting it now!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    In all fairness, yours sounds like a story I need to hear!
    Haha so I mentioned this in another thread and it ended up working out reasonably well but at the time I thought it was a bit of a car crash, least of all for this point below...

Having just been grilled on a commercial awareness question as a follow-up to an obscure feature of my CV (which I found out afterwards I got completely wrong), I was asked what skills do you think are important for a lawyer to have, particularly at our firm.

I started to explain why being very personable is an incredibly important skill for a lawyer both in attracting clients but also in getting along with your colleagues with whom you could be working for long hours. I said that 'because if you are, for want of a better expression, a bit of a dick, people won't want to work with you or for you and you'll struggle to progress in your career'. Needless to say, as soon as those words left my lips, I was mortified and frantically tried to say 'excuse my French, but if you're someone who doesn't work well with others/get along with people...' but at that point, it was obviously too late o_O

Thankfully the partner and the associate laughed and agreed with me, much to my relief and the associate then proceeded to tell me an anecdote that one of the first conversations he'd had with a leading partner at the firm was that 'this job is 90% about your ability not to shit yourself under what can be significant pressure' which definitely made me feel better. ;)

Needless to say, however, the head of HR who was also in the interview was not amused and later told me that she had never heard a student in her recruitment career who was going for a graduate role/training contract ever say something like that/that unprofessional in a corporate environment. On reflection, I didn't think it was that bad what I'd said but at the time I was pretty annoyed at myself for potentially throwing this opportunity away when I'd worked so hard to get to the interview stage. That said, all's well that ends well as I still got the vacation scheme :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Haha so I mentioned this in another thread and it ended up working out reasonably well but at the time I thought it was a bit of a car crash, least of all for this point below...

Having just been grilled on a commercial awareness question as a follow-up to an obscure feature of my CV (which I found out afterwards I got completely wrong), I was asked what skills do you think are important for a lawyer to have, particularly at our firm.

I started to explain why being very personable is an incredibly important skill for a lawyer both in attracting clients but also in getting along with your colleagues with whom you could be working for long hours. I said that 'because if you are, for want of a better expression, a bit of a dick, people won't want to work with you or for you and you'll struggle to progress in your career'. Needless to say, as soon as those words left my lips, I was mortified and frantically tried to say 'excuse my French, but if you're someone who doesn't work well with others/get along with people...' but at that point, it was obviously too late o_O

Thankfully the partner and the associate laughed and agreed with me, much to my relief and the associate then proceeded to tell me an anecdote that one of the first conversations he'd had with a leading partner at the firm was that 'this job is 90% about your ability not to shit yourself under what can be significant pressure' which definitely made me feel better. ;)

Needless to say, however, the head of HR who was also in the interview was not amused and later told me that she had never heard a student in her recruitment career who was going for a graduate role/training contract ever say something like that/that unprofessional in a corporate environment. On reflection, I didn't think it was that bad what I'd said but at the time I was pretty annoyed at myself for potentially throwing this opportunity away when I'd worked so hard to get to the interview stage. That said, all's well that ends well as I still got the vacation scheme :D

I think the HR person was being a bit over the top with the feedback (in my opinion). It maybe that they aren’t much of a swearer (while I am) but I wouldn’t get worried about swearing in terms of this level (dick to me isn’t particularly offensive) and in the context (you weren’t singling anyone out and saying they were a dick).

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I think the HR person was being a bit over the top with the feedback (in my opinion). It maybe that they aren’t much of a swearer (while I am) but I wouldn’t get worried about swearing in terms of this level (dick to me isn’t particularly offensive) and in the context (you weren’t singling anyone out and saying they were a dick).
    That's what I thought and that's what friends and lawyers I know said that they didn't think it was a big deal because I wasn't referring to anyone specifically but still, I wouldn't necessarily lead with it in an interview context haha as it just adds another potential reason to say no to you

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

In all fairness, I wouldn't say that's a particularly terrible thing to say. One of my first experiences in law was experience at the criminal bar here in Scotland- the first day, I was sitting in the Advocates' 'Gown room' in the bottom of the High Court in Glasgow- one of the (very experienced and highly-regarded) QC's walked into the room on the phone... suffice to say, there may as well have been a cloud of blue air around his head!

Even in commercial firms, I've heard more than the occasional curse slip out. As Jessica says, I think the feedback you were given may have been more of an indication of the GR person's disposition than anything else.

It reminds me of a time when I was still in school- I was a singer, and had been roped into singing a couple of pieces in a school show, for which I had to use a wearable microphone. I had slightly messed up the end of the song and, as I walked off stage, forgot I was wearing my microphone. The entire audience of 300 people heard me say "I ballsed that right up, didn't I?" over the sound system! I wanted the floor to just open me up and swallow me whole haha.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.