Career changer advice please

LegalMaven

Jul 17, 2023
Hi everyone,

I’m new here and would be grateful for some advice regarding my current situation and the best course of action in order for me to secure a TC. I am considering doing the LLM SQE at BPP University (one of their regional campuses) and would benefit from some advice on next steps.
For some context, l will explain my journey so far which has been a rather rocky one!

Growing up l confronted an extremely challenging home environment with emotional and physical abuse. l for example slept in the living room throughout school up until l was 18.

Despite this, l worked really hard at school and got involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities including, being Head Girl and serving in the National Youth Parliament. l was also very proactive in gaining legal work experience at a few places law was something l knew l wanted to do from a young age.

Fast forward a few years, l managed to obtain A*AB in my A-levels, and secured a place at a top RG uni to study law. However during my first year, just before my first year exams, l fell seriously ill and was eventually diagnosed with a serious long term health condition. Naturally, this had a knock-on effect on my first year grades and l finished first year with a low 2:1.

However, in my second and third year l was determined to improve my grades, eventually graduating with a First in 2016. During this time l did a few apps and managed to get to AC stage with a couple of silver circle firms. However, l did not secure anything at this stage which was largely due to the fact that l did not fully commit myself to the level of prep and work required for a TC and moreover, whilst coming to terms with my diagnosis, l did not have the mental capacity to fully apply myself to both my studies and VC/TC apps. I did however gain some experience through Rare Recruitment having been selected to participate on their Articles programme during which l got to spend time in some MC and silver circle firms. I also attended the Bright Network Commercial Law Festival, and took part in Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness competition with my team reaching the semi-finals.

Upon graduating l did a few more TC apps, getting to AC stage with a few MC and silver circle firms. However, again l think l just did not put in the required level of preparation required to get through AC. At this stage l had also lost a lot of confidence in myself and had honestly given up - my world also came crashing down, as for the first time, l also had the time to process everything l had gone through in my life up until this stage. Whilst l was at uni l had a sense of purpose and could focus my efforts on my degree but with a lot more time to myself l was only beginning to fully process everything. I really wish l had just gone ahead and done the LPC at this stage - however l managed to talk myself out of it based on the above, and also l did not have the money to self-fund and did not explore some ways around this (Scholarships etc.).

So, l have ended up working in a few different roles over the years, ranging from working a couple of years as a Legal Cashier, in local government, and in the last couple of years, have been working in Management Consulting. Yet the desire to work in corporate law has always remained with me.

Since graduating l have not done a lot of networking or being proactive in interacting with firms l am interested in, however l have done a couple of things here and there, including taking part in the Aspiring Solicitors Aspire programme. I could also say l have law related work experience from working as a Legal Cashier.

This year, at the age of 28, l finally decided that l’m going to try one last time to get a TC and really commit myself to the process. I was initially fully set on doing the LLM LPC and have been offered a place at BPP for September, albeit, l have quickly realised that the firms l would be interested in working for (mainly MC, US and Silver Circle) will have moved to SQE from September 2024. I do however have the option of switching to the LLM SQE with BPP before September.

Whichever option l do go for l will of course be giving up my current job - however l am okay with this, because l really just want to finally secure a TC. I have also applied for a a couple of scholarships, and l’m really hopeful that l will be successful with at least one of these. Failing this l will have my student finance loan to fall back on.

There is the option of continuing to work in my role and applying for TCs - however at this point l feel that l’m just ready to throw myself into the process and apply for TCs whilst doing (most likely) the LLM SQE. I also think since it has been a few years since my law degree, l would benefit from the career related opportunities you can only really get from being in university - careers service, law firm events etc.

It’s also worth adding that l have been applying for TCs in this application round - l have done 3 so far with one rejection and awaiting to hear from the others. I also have a few that l am in process of completing, with upcoming deadlines. Otherwise l’m also doing as much prep as l can with The Forage, and really brushing on my commercial awareness etc. l’m keeping my fingers crossed that something will come out of one these but l’m also preparing for the fact that it may not as l probably need to obtain more up-to date legal experience on my CV through open days etc. Should l not be successful in this application round, l intend to gain as much experience as l can through open days, VCs etc. to enhance my applications.

Is anyone able to please offer advice on my best options taking all the above into account ?

*As a side note whilst l would have preferred to do the SQE/LPC in London Holborn where a lot of city firms send their students - the regional campus will be more financially feasible for me as it means l can stay at home.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi @LegalMaven ,

Before anything, I want to say how incredible it is to have achieved a First Class degree despite the challenges you were facing at home and with your health. Just reading about your experience to date, you have a strong foundation for a fantastic application.

In terms of how you proceed, dealing first with the LPC versus SQE debate:

“Students who wish to qualify as solicitors and started their ‘law journey’ on or after 1 January 2022 are required to qualify via the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) pathway. For these purposes the start of a ‘law journey’ is, in most cases, the start of an LLB or a law conversion course, such as the GDL, or Law Conversions Course (PGDL). Most students who started their law journey prior to 2022 will have the choice of qualifying as a solicitor via the LPC or SQE pathway“

So, as you studied an LLB before that date, you can still qualify as a solicitor under the LPC route. Of course, some (not all) firms are starting to prefer/require the SQE route. Ultimately, it will be a matter of personal preference and really you do have the choice.

In terms of career related opportunities:
  1. Open Days - these are not just open to university students and it will just be a case of going onto your chosen firms’ recruitment websites and applying yourself. Going to these alongside the SQE/LPC will be an excellent way to learn more how the firm and a great way of demonstrating and confirming your interest in them on applications.
  2. Brushing up on Commercial Awareness - TCLA has some great resources on their premium membership to help learn more about the commercial world and resources to brush up on your commercial awareness. We also have a Commercial Awareness thread (free on this forum) where recent news stories are summarised and analysed from the perspective of law firms/their clients. Of course, alongside this reading the news on the daily is very beneficial.
  3. Casual work - It is difficult to work part-time/full time alongside the full time LPC/SQE, however I do have a lot of friends who did work casually on the weekends or the evenings a few times a week. I know agencies such as Ryder Reid, Flex Legal etc sometimes advertise document review roles which are casual jobs which can add to your repertoire of legal experience.

Hopefully this helps and let me know if you have any other questions via this thread!

Laura :)

LegalMaven

Jul 17, 2023
Hi @LegalMaven ,

Before anything, I want to say how incredible it is to have achieved a First Class degree despite the challenges you were facing at home and with your health. Just reading about your experience to date, you have a strong foundation for a fantastic application.

In terms of how you proceed, dealing first with the LPC versus SQE debate:

“Students who wish to qualify as solicitors and started their ‘law journey’ on or after 1 January 2022 are required to qualify via the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) pathway. For these purposes the start of a ‘law journey’ is, in most cases, the start of an LLB or a law conversion course, such as the GDL, or Law Conversions Course (PGDL). Most students who started their law journey prior to 2022 will have the choice of qualifying as a solicitor via the LPC or SQE pathway“

So, as you studied an LLB before that date, you can still qualify as a solicitor under the LPC route. Of course, some (not all) firms are starting to prefer/require the SQE route. Ultimately, it will be a matter of personal preference and really you do have the choice.

In terms of career related opportunities:
  1. Open Days - these are not just open to university students and it will just be a case of going onto your chosen firms’ recruitment websites and applying yourself. Going to these alongside the SQE/LPC will be an excellent way to learn more how the firm and a great way of demonstrating and confirming your interest in them on applications.
  2. Brushing up on Commercial Awareness - TCLA has some great resources on their premium membership to help learn more about the commercial world and resources to brush up on your commercial awareness. We also have a Commercial Awareness thread (free on this forum) where recent news stories are summarised and analysed from the perspective of law firms/their clients. Of course, alongside this reading the news on the daily is very beneficial.
  3. Casual work - It is difficult to work part-time/full time alongside the full time LPC/SQE, however I do have a lot of friends who did work casually on the weekends or the evenings a few times a week. I know agencies such as Ryder Reid, Flex Legal etc sometimes advertise document review roles which are casual jobs which can add to your repertoire of legal experience.

Hopefully this helps and let me know if you have any other questions via this thread!

Laura :)
Thank you so much for this information - l really appreciate it. I will definitely make sure to attend open days and other events so that l have up to date experiences which l can talk about, brush up on my commercial awareness knowledge and will try and find casual work too. I have also been offered a scholarship at BPP (for either the LPC/SQE - whichever l decide) which partly covers my fees, so that also makes things a bit easier too. I’m still split on whether to do the LPC/SQE however - in terms of personal preference l would rather do the LPC but l also need to consider the fact that a lot of the firms l am interested in have already/are transitioning to the SQE! So difficult to decide!

Reactions: laurabeaumont

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Thank you so much for this information - l really appreciate it. I will definitely make sure to attend open days and other events so that l have up to date experiences which l can talk about, brush up on my commercial awareness knowledge and will try and find casual work too. I have also been offered a scholarship at BPP (for either the LPC/SQE - whichever l decide) which partly covers my fees, so that also makes things a bit easier too. I’m still split on whether to do the LPC/SQE however - in terms of personal preference l would rather do the LPC but l also need to consider the fact that a lot of the firms l am interested in have already/are transitioning to the SQE! So difficult to decide!
Congratulations on the scholarship! If it helps at all - I know the SQE examines in a different format and there has been an expansion on the tops of the SQE (ie you have to study tort, contract and the legal system in more depth). Still, the general content of LPC/SQE is actually wholly similar. In fact, in many ways, the SQE is perhaps more helpful to future lawyers - although that is still up for debate.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.