Case study practice

GD1995

Feb 28, 2018
Hi all!

I was wondering if you had some tips on to how to practice approaching and tackling case studies? Are there any exemplar case studies that you know of? I know the M&A guide is a good place to start but I wanted some materials so that I could use the guide and apply it to!

Thanks in advance

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi all!

I was wondering if you had some tips on to how to practice approaching and tackling case studies? Are there any exemplar case studies that you know of? I know the M&A guide is a good place to start but I wanted some materials so that I could use the guide and apply it to!

Thanks in advance

Do you mean materials as in a practice case study or considerations we should be aware of when analysing case studies?

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all!

Thanks in advance

Hey,

Good question. I'm not aware of any exemplars but it's very true, the guides aren't much use without practice. Do you mean the written case studies or the scenarios that are asked at interview?

Back in the day, I drafted a couple of mock written case studies, based on case studies I had at interview, to help some of my mentees practice. I can try to dig that up if it would be helpful? Equally, I can also draft some interview-style case-study questions.

Reactions: Yee Rou Quah

GD1995

Feb 28, 2018
    So case studies that you would do at assessment centres individually and in a group, as well as written case studies.

I would like to practice doing them!

That would be very helpful if you could do that!

Thank you!

Reactions: Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    So case studies that you would do at assessment centres individually and in a group, as well as written case studies.

I would like to practice doing them!

That would be very helpful if you could do that!

Thank you!

Sure, I've found the two written case studies. I'm just going to update some sections and then I'll send it through.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ok here is the first mock written exercise. If you give it a go, I strongly suggest you limit yourself to 1 hour. Time is often the biggest hurdle in questions like these. If you'd like me to take a look at your answer (handwritten or typed), feel free to send it to [email protected].

The second one is a pharma M&A case study. I would say the topic is easier than this one but it's much more detailed. I am still working on that but should get it out on the weekend. I can also run through some typical M&A interview questions then.

Attachments

• Written Case Study 1 - The Corporate Law Academy.pdf
      122.2 KB · Views: 308
    Reactions: FreddyS

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Ok here is the first mock written exercise. If you give it a go, I strongly suggest you limit yourself to 1 hour. Time is often the biggest hurdle in questions like these. If you'd like me to take a look at your answer (handwritten or typed), feel free to send it to [email protected].

The second one is a pharma M&A case study. I would say the topic is easier than this one but it's much more detailed. I am still working on that but should get it out on the weekend. I can also run through some typical M&A interview questions then.

Thank you so much for this. I've never been that confident about the written exercises at assessment days and there was never anything to practice on. If you don't mind I'll get it done and send it to you? It would be good to see where I could improve.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Thanks Jaysen.

Also any tips on how to improve on post AC feedback such as ‘you answered questions such as why this firm just like we expected you to do so’. When I asked HR to explain this further they said I need to personalise my answers a lot more coherently. Which I felt I did as I related my answers to personal experiences/work placements etc.. Any tips on how to improve with this type of feedback? Thanks in advance.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen.

Also any tips on how to improve on post AC feedback such as ‘you answered questions such as why this firm just like we expected you to do so’. When I asked HR to explain this further they said I need to personalise my answers a lot more coherently. Which I felt I did as I related my answers to personal experiences/work placements etc.. Any tips on how to improve with this type of feedback? Thanks in advance.

Great question.

I used to find feedback tough to hear, but it can be really valuable when it comes to finding blind spots. I say can because feedback often feels vague and unhelpful. That's not because a firm doesn't want to help you but because it can be hard to give students feedback. Often the reason they don't get the place is not that they're a bad candidate but rather the firm has a limited number of spaces and others simply stood out better or you weren't quite the right fit. So when it comes to giving feedback they have to retrospectively find reasons that could have improved a candidate.

At the same time, it's good to focus on what they do tell you because there are often gems in there. It can be frustrating because often it sounds like such a minor reason but you can usually draw a fair bit from that.

In your case, it's hard to know what they were referring to without seeing your answers. I would say the comment about personalising your answers suggests you may have been very good at discussing the firm and what makes it different, but they may have been less convinced about the reasons why you wanted to go there. For a long time, I used to have that problem. I'd spend most of my answer talking about what makes the firm different and how it successfully competes in the marketplace, but when it came to linking it back to me, I was less clear. Later I tried to balance the two. I would spend more time talking about the people I've met at the firm (if you have the opportunity, this is a great way to personalise your answers) or areas such as why a small trainee intake appealed to me.

Alternatively, if they felt that you did that fine but it wasn't coherent enough, you could consider making your answers tighter, for example, I often suggest students answer those questions in 3-4 points. So you'd say something like "there are three main reasons why" and "firstly...". That can help interviewers keep track of your answers and it shows a thoughtful approach, though it's important to make sure it's not too rigid.

All that said, sometimes the fit just isn't quite right. You could well have given the same performance at another firm and got the offer. So try to think carefully about whether there's some truth to their comments, but if you really don't think it's appropriate, I wouldn't worry too much. It may have just not clicked on the day.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Great question.

I used to find feedback tough to hear, but it can be really valuable when it comes to finding blind spots. I say can because feedback often feels vague and unhelpful. That's not because a firm doesn't want to help you but because it can be hard to give students feedback. Often the reason they don't get the place is not that they're a bad candidate but rather the firm has a limited number of spaces and others simply stood out better or you weren't quite the right fit. So when it comes to giving feedback they have to retrospectively find reasons that could have improved a candidate.

At the same time, it's good to focus on what they do tell you because there are often gems in there. It can be frustrating because often it sounds like such a minor reason but you can usually draw a fair bit from that.

In your case, it's hard to know what they were referring to without seeing your answers. I would say the comment about personalising your answers suggests you may have been very good at discussing the firm and what makes it different, but they may have been less convinced about the reasons why you wanted to go there. For a long time, I used to have that problem. I'd spend most of my answer talking about what makes the firm different and how it successfully competes in the marketplace, but when it came to linking it back to me, I was less clear. Later I tried to balance the two. I would spend more time talking about the people I've met at the firm (if you have the opportunity, this is a great way to personalise your answers) or areas such as why a small trainee intake appealed to me.

Alternatively, if they felt that you did that fine but it wasn't coherent enough, you could consider making your answers tighter, for example, I often suggest students answer those questions in 3-4 points. So you'd say something like "there are three main reasons why" and "firstly...". That can help interviewers keep track of your answers and it shows a thoughtful approach, though it's important to make sure it's not too rigid.

All that said, sometimes the fit just isn't quite right. You could well have given the same performance at another firm and got the offer. So try to think carefully about whether there's some truth to their comments, but if you really don't think it's appropriate, I wouldn't worry too much. It may have just not clicked on the day.

Exactly! They said I mentioned everything relevant but I did not convince them enough that the firm in question was one I wanted to train at.. So I will have to work on convincing them a lot more which may mean my tone, eye contact and any small things will need to improve. Also (not saying this is an excuse) but the AC day was very long and I was the last one to have my interview. I guess it just did not click. Thanks for the tips Jaysen, I guess practice, practice and more practice will do the trick!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Exactly! They said I mentioned everything relevant but I did not convince them enough that the firm in question was one I wanted to train at.. So I will have to work on convincing them a lot more which may mean my tone, eye contact and any small things will need to improve. Also (not saying this is an excuse) but the AC day was very long and I was the last one to have my interview. I guess it just did not click. Thanks for the tips Jaysen, I guess practice, practice and more practice will do the trick!

No problem. That's better feedback and something that can be easily improved on. How do you typically structure your 'Why are you applying to X?' interview question? Completely understandable about it being a long day/last one, I've seen interviews where the interviewers seem disinterested from the get-go.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    No problem. That's better feedback and something that can be easily improved on. How do you typically structure your 'Why are you applying to X?' interview question? Completely understandable about it being a long day/last one, I've seen interviews where the interviewers seem disinterested from the get-go.

I structured my interview answer as three main reasons why I want to apply: small trainee intake, strength of banking practice and the international aspect of the work.. I then back these points up with my personal experience/speaking to trainees at open days which confirmed that this is an environment I will 1) become a much better lawyer 2) high exposure/responsibility/ on the job training. Thoughts?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I structured my interview answer as three main reasons why I want to apply: small trainee intake, strength of banking practice and the international aspect of the work.. I then back these points up with my personal experience/speaking to trainees at open days which confirmed that this is an environment I will 1) become a much better lawyer 2) high exposure/responsibility/ on the job training. Thoughts?

Three good points, nice and personal. I assume you expand on the latter two with specific information?

Great to mention speaking to trainees to back it up. I would say point 1) about being a better lawyer is a little weaker, but it depends on how you justify your reasons. The exposure point is fine.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Three good points, nice and personal. I assume you expand on the latter two with specific information?

Great to mention speaking to trainees to back it up. I would say point 1) about being a better lawyer is a little weaker, but it depends on how you justify your reasons. The exposure point is fine.

Yes I do so in essence I structure my answer as

1. small trainee intake
    2. working in my current job position (small teams, higher responsibility etc)
    3. why I am better suited to this type of environment/ skills I have learnt from the above experience

Whats your take on this approach?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Yes I do so in essence I structure my answer as

1. small trainee intake
    2. working in my current job position (small teams, higher responsibility etc)
    3. why I am better suited to this type of environment/ skills I have learnt from the above experience

Whats your take on this approach?

That looks good to me.

GD1995

Feb 28, 2018
    Do you possibly have an exemplar answer to the case study so I can see what a good answer looks like?

I like to work from examples and then incorporate my own ideas so its more for structure purposes?

Thanks

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Do you possibly have an exemplar answer to the case study so I can see what a good answer looks like?

I like to work from examples and then incorporate my own ideas so its more for structure purposes?

Thanks

I only have marked student answers but they're kept confidential. If you'd like to complete the case study you're welcome to send it to me to have it marked.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What structure would you recommend using?

There are a number of ways you can tackle the question but generally speaking:

1. Brief intro to client
    2. Summary of conclusions
    • The likely consequences for the client
    • Potential solutions
    3. Main analysis/report (can be further broken down)
    • The likely consequences for the client
    • Potential solutions

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.