Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering if i could please get me some advise regarding TCLA and case study prep.

Most AC’s have a case study element. This is not my strongest area and I want to improve it but practising case studies similar to what law firms give.

How do you suggest i should go about this? There are so many amazing resources on a TCLA but I don’t know how to go about it and how the premium subscription goes/what resources I should pick to improve my approach to Case studies and presentations. I want to narrow and target my approach. In the past I have tried to do multiple things but they weren’t quite hitting the nail on the head.

I struggle with this section and really appreciate any help and guidance.

Thought I would create a new thread to reach more people but also feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much :)

Reactions: Alla

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering if i could please get me some advise regarding TCLA and case study prep.

Most AC’s have a case study element. This is not my strongest area and I want to improve it but practising case studies similar to what law firms give.

How do you suggest i should go about this? There are so many amazing resources on a TCLA but I don’t know how to go about it and how the premium subscription goes/what resources I should pick to improve my approach to Case studies and presentations. I want to narrow and target my approach. In the past I have tried to do multiple things but they weren’t quite hitting the nail on the head.

I struggle with this section and really appreciate any help and guidance.

Thought I would create a new thread to reach more people but also feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much :)
Hi there,

This isn’t easy but it can really help to learn the basics of M&A. I’m biased of course but our resources do help incredibly with this and I can recommend books by Chris Stoakes. We also had an event last year, the recording of which is available to premium members and we had talks on M&A which were exceptionally useful, Chris himself was a speaker!!
The other thing is to look into and understand what law firm departments do and read into some of the thought leadership on law firms’ websites to understand the trends and developments in those departments.

Reading around businesses can help. Maybe find a business of interest to you and research into its history to see how it developed and starting asking yourself how and why it did and took various steps and decisions.

I hope this helps you in some way but feel free to respond with any questions :)

Reactions: Patricia K and Zoo

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi there,

This isn’t easy but it can really help to learn the basics of M&A. I’m biased of course but our resources do help incredibly with this and I can recommend books by Chris Stoakes. We also had an event last year, the recording of which is available to premium members and we had talks on M&A which were exceptionally useful, Chris himself was a speaker!!
The other thing is to look into and understand what law firm departments do and read into some of the thought leadership on law firms’ websites to understand the trends and developments in those departments.

Reading around businesses can help. Maybe find a business of interest to you and research into its history to see how it developed and starting asking yourself how and why it did and took various steps and decisions.

I hope this helps you in some way but feel free to respond with any questions :)
Hi Alice,

Thank you for this. It’s really helpful.

TCLA is INCREDIBLLY helpful and has been for me throughout my application journey.

On TCLA what resources do you think I should use to practice case studies? I was getting confused while navigating through some of the modules offered in the premium service and I didn’t know which ones to choose and how to go about it.
I really want to practice case studies in real time.

I understand the basics of M&As and Books are helpful but only to a certain extent. It can sometimes be tricky to get the hang of applying the knowledge on a real case study. And that is something I wanted to practice, as I struggle with that. Can you please recommend resources that will help me with the same on here?
Again thank you so much! Your advice is really appreciated :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice,

TCLA is INCREDIBLLY helpful and has been for me throughout my application journey.

On TCLA what resources do you think I should use to practice case studies? I was getting confused while navigating through some of the modules offered in the premium service and I didn’t know which ones to choose and how to go about it.

I understand the basics of M&As and Books are helpful but only to a certain extent. It can sometimes be tricky to get the hang of applying the knowledge on a real case study. And that is something I wanted to practice, as I struggle with that. Can you please recommend resources that will help me with the same on here?
I know we do have some mock case studies in the premium section. I will be able to look properly later but I’d recommend trying to scope them out as I’m sure they’re on there! :)

Patricia K

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Project Lead
Aug 9, 2020
Hi Alice,

Hi!

It's great to hear about how helpful TCLA has been for you during your application journey :) I'm responding to this on behalf of Jaysen and Alice with more information on how to navigate the Premium courses and find our mock case studies (I completely understand that it can be tricky since there's so much content!). I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of TCLA's available mock case studies here in case anyone else was hoping to practice them:

1. M&A Case Studies
  • These can be found in the 'The Interviewees' Guide to Mergers and Acquisitions' course.
  • There are three mock case studies provided with interview questions and points to note (that you can use to improve your answers).
  • In general, I'd really recommend this course for learning how to best approach M&A case study interviews since it also contains potential interview questions, a terminology checklist, and TCLA's case study interview advice. :)

2. Balance Sheet Case Study
  • This can be found in the 'Introduction to the City' course under the sub-heading 'Reading Financial Statements'.
  • Whilst this isn't a complete mock case study, it can really help you get to grips with what to look out for in a balance sheet (which is a component of some firm's case studies, such as A&O).

3. Advanced M&A Mock Case Studies
  • The best place to look for a compilation of TCLA's case study materials is the 'TCLA Crash Course'.
  • Inside the course, there are two realistic Advanced M&A mock case studies you can do (as well as 'Answer Guidance' and model answer materials you can refer to after completing them).
  • In addition, if you're a Gold Member, you can access additional materials in the Gold Member Forum under the thread 'Gold Case Study Resources'. Here you can find various contracts you might encounter in a case study (eg. Joint Venture Agreements, Heads of Terms, Confidentiality Agreements) that you can learn from and look over.

In terms of general case study preparation, there's also a section on the TCLA Interview Course 2019/20 under the sub-heading 'TCLA's Advice' --> 'Case Studies' which might be helpful for you too.

I hope this helps and all the best with your case study preparation! If anyone knows of any other case studies in the premium section that I've missed, feel free to add on below :)

• ℹ️
  • 🏆
Reactions: Asil Ahmad, Dani V, CF and 2 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi!

It's great to hear about how helpful TCLA has been for you during your application journey :) I'm responding to this on behalf of Jaysen and Alice with more information on how to navigate the Premium courses and find our mock case studies (I completely understand that it can be tricky since there's so much content!). I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of TCLA's available mock case studies here in case anyone else was hoping to practice them:

1. M&A Case Studies
  • These can be found in the 'The Interviewees' Guide to Mergers and Acquisitions' course.
  • There are three mock case studies provided with interview questions and points to note (that you can use to improve your answers).
  • In general, I'd really recommend this course for learning how to best approach M&A case study interviews since it also contains potential interview questions, a terminology checklist, and TCLA's case study interview advice. :)

• This can be found in the 'Introduction to the City' course under the sub-heading 'Reading Financial Statements'.
  • Whilst this isn't a complete mock case study, it can really help you get to grips with what to look out for in a balance sheet (which is a component of some firm's case studies, such as A&O).

• The best place to look for a compilation of TCLA's case study materials is the 'TCLA Crash Course'.
  • Inside the course, there are two realistic Advanced M&A mock case studies you can do (as well as 'Answer Guidance' and model answer materials you can refer to after completing them).
  • In addition, if you're a Gold Member, you can access additional materials in the Gold Member Forum under the thread 'Gold Case Study Resources'. Here you can find various contracts you might encounter in a case study (eg. Joint Venture Agreements, Heads of Terms, Confidentiality Agreements) that you can learn from and look over.

In terms of general case study preparation, there's also a section on the TCLA Interview Course 2019/20 under the sub-heading 'TCLA's Advice' --> 'Case Studies' which might be helpful for you too.

I hope this helps and all the best with your case study preparation! If anyone knows of any other case studies in the premium section that I've missed, feel free to add on below :)
This is incredibly useful @Patricia K thank you for taking the time!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Patricia K and 0603

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi!

1. M&A Case Studies

Thank you so so much for taking the time out to help me! this is really helpful :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Patricia K and Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.