Clashing interviews

freya.west

Dec 14, 2022
Hey guys,

Was just wondering. Hypothetically, if I have an interview for a training contract which clashes with 1 day of a 2 week vac scheme which could potentially give me a TC depending on how well I perform, would it be unprofessional of me to miss a day of the second vac scheme to attend the first interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The ideal situation is to asking the interviewing firm for an alternative date.

You may not be able to take a day off from your vacation scheme - that is at the firm’s discretion.

Depending on what day it is within the scheme, it could be detrimental to take that day off.

Some people do take time off from vacation schemes for these reasons, but it’s not straight forward.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

freya.west

Dec 14, 2022
The ideal situation is to asking the interviewing firm for an alternative date.

You may not be able to take a day off from your vacation scheme - that is at the firm’s discretion.

Depending on what day it is within the scheme, it could be detrimental to take that day off.

Some people do take time off from vacation schemes for these reasons, but it’s not straight forward.
Thank you for your reply Jessica. Unfortunately the firm that the interview is at is not budging on the date. Would it be unprofessional of me to say to the second firm that I need the day off for an interview? Would this be grounds for dropping me from the scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your reply Jessica. Unfortunately the firm that the interview is at is not budging on the date. Would it be unprofessional of me to say to the second firm that I need the day off for an interview? Would this be grounds for dropping me from the scheme?
They won’t drop you from the scheme - the worst they will say is no to the time off.

You could obviously compromise a conversion process for your vacation scheme too, where ultimately you are choosing the interviewing firm over the vacation scheme firm.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Just to add to this discussion
Hi @freya.west,

I am sure you have, but did you tell the interviewing firm that there is no flexibility in your vacation scheme (ie you cannot change the day and there are pre-scheduled work/events going on)? From previous experience, the interviewing firm would usually then be flexible in return.

Laura :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.