Clifford Chance Application Question

Farah Ahmad

Standard Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 8, 2018
Hi guys do you think for the Clifford Chance 600 word question we should pick a couple of things to talk about? I've applied before and got rejected and I wonder if it was because I spoke about everything I did and tried to use the star technique too much instead of giving a broader view of what I do and how this has helped shaped my desire to be a lawyer. Not sure how to approach it this time or what to say that really stands out?

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
Hi guys do you think for the Clifford Chance 600 word question we should pick a couple of things to talk about? I've applied before and got rejected and I wonder if it was because I spoke about everything I did and tried to use the star technique too much instead of giving a broader view of what I do and how this has helped shaped my desire to be a lawyer. Not sure how to approach it this time or what to say that really stands out?

I think there are two approaches that have both been successful. For myself, I preferred to talk concisely (STAR / CAR structure) about 5 different points. I wanted the firm to get to see a wide range of things that I had going on. This included Society positions, academics, personal awards and a personal hobby. If you're able to write concisely, with every sentence bringing a new point or adding to a point, I'd encourage this approach. Also, if you have an impressive range of things to talk about, I'd also recommend this approach.

The second approach is to take two to three key experiences or things you want to talk about and really do a deep dive into those examples. This works particularly well if you have a 'unique' or uncommon experience that has a lot to unpack.

If the application is the same as the one I've completed in the past, which was basically 600 words to tell Clifford Chance about you, then you absolutely do not need to talk about why you are pursing a career in law or why you are interested in Clifford Chance.

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
What is the question?

It should be something along the lines of this (although the exact wording has likely changed):

"You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
STAR/CAR isn’t appropriate for this type of question.

This is basically a “more the merrier” type of question, as long as you cover the three sections and it is well structured/written (ie it doesn’t become a list of things).

• ℹ️
Reactions: Nellie and m24

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
On the Open Day Application I had saved my application as a draft, however now when I try and re-open it I am unable to go back to any stages to edit. Has anyone else had this problem?

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018

I applied to Clifford Chance last year and was invited to their AC. I was unsuccessful after the interview though. I wrote about three experiences that led me to pursue commercial law, specifically focusing on why I am proud of it and how it leads me to pursue commercial law. I've structured it in such a way that I know what being a commercial lawyer entails. For example, I described my participation in Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition and how that gave me exposure to the type of work that commercial lawyers do which I find enjoyable. I think explaining the bigger picture of why you do what you do is beneficial here.

Having said that, I think another reason why I was invited to the interview is that the graduate recruiters remember me. At Clifford Chance, Yasmina Kone takes care of applicants, future trainees and trainees from STEM background. I have met her three times at three different events. I also made the effort to send her an email after every interaction. So when I send my application, I sent her an email informing that I have made the application.

One advice that I was given when I had a conversation with Hannah Salton last year, is to be respectful of their time. Hannah Salton is a former Allen & Overy graduate recruiter. Don't expect them to reply, don't ask questions that can be find elsewhere and don't ask questions that subtly aims to alleviate your anxiety. Use this forum to ask that kind of question. Ask them insightful questions. It's very difficult to know this kind of question but when I read this book called "2-hour job search", there is a section that tells you the kind of question that can elicit personal experiences at the firm. In essence, ask them to talk about themselves and their work and be genuinely interested about them.

Hope this help.

Best wishes,
Syafiq.

PHT

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
On the Open Day Application I had saved my application as a draft, however now when I try and re-open it I am unable to go back to any stages to edit. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah I’ve had this issue, I just had to go back to the job board and click Apply again. Also it won’t let me continue past the education section. It says I haven’t entered information in boxes that aren’t even on the page :confused:

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah I’ve had this issue, I just had to go back to the job board and click Apply again. Also it won’t let me continue past the education section. It says I haven’t entered information in boxes that aren’t even on the page :confused:
I did that, too and it worked! :) I also had trouble on the education section, but it was because my university units were too long/GCSE course names, so I had to cut those down then it was fine. Have you tried that?

Raphael Yan Bing Khoo

Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
I'm a future trainee with Clifford Chance.

Just a heads up for those applying to the VS/TC, and I am sure you've heard this already, but definitely attend one of their many open days (and build your network whilst you're there). You can thereafter put the Open Day as one of your "work experience" when you apply to the firm.

Re the 600 words statement, I think Grad Rec is flexible on the approaches mentioned above but be very careful on how you structure your response. If they ask you to include an achievement of importance which you are most proud of, then please do so in clear terms and tell them WHY you are proud of it.

Good luck! reach out if you have anything

PHT

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
I did that, too and it worked! :) I also had trouble on the education section, but it was because my university units were too long/GCSE course names, so I had to cut those down then it was fine. Have you tried that?

It was because I did my secondary education outside the UK, but they've fixed the issue now!

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
I took a different approach for the question and listed five different achievements/work experience as I was aiming to show my horizons are broader than academic and society-related activities (which is not bad). Hence, I used the first two points for academic achievements and why I am proud as well as what I have taken away from those activities. Third and fourth was about extra-curricular activity and fifth being something not related to point one to four.

I proceeded to also write two lines answering my proudest achievement and what it allowed me to learn whilst doing that activity.

I think this is one of the few questions where they genuinely asked a question and do not expect any sort of essay-style or too much thinking into it. It is more to showcase your interest, activities and what you are proud of thus far in your career.

Good luck for your application :)

Farah Ahmad

Standard Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 8, 2018

Just a heads up for those applying to the VS/TC, and I am sure you've heard this already, but definitely attend one of their many open days (and build your network whilst you're there). You can thereafter put the Open Day as one of your "work experience" when you apply to the firm.

Re the 600 words statement, I think Grad Rec is flexible on the approaches mentioned above but be very careful on how you structure your response. If they ask you to include an achievement of importance which you are most proud of, then please do so in clear terms and tell them WHY you are proud of it.

Thank you! I'm contemplating whether to apply for the open day or not! What type of things did you do and what did you learn on the open day?

Zoë Stainton

Future Trainee
May 31, 2019

I am currently applying for the Clifford Chance Open Day - why did you choose to apply to Clifford Chance? What made it stand out to you? Would be really interested in hearing your experience!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.