Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Clifford Chance interview?

February 2018

What was it for?

Springboard Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Clifford Chance.

There were two interviews, one requiring a case study beforehand. The interviewers were very friendly and grad recruitment were around all afternoon to answer questions. As a result it was a very comfortable experience.

What advice would you give to future applicants about the Clifford Chance interview?

The case study did require a basic knowledge of commercial law. The other interview involved predictable questions about your characteristics and interest in the firm. In order to prepare a candidate should prepare evidence of all competencies that they think they might get asked about and research the firm.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

February 2016

What for?

Summer vacation scheme

The assessment centre felt quite formal, all applicants were sat in a central area and divided into two groups. One group receiving their 'case study' interviews first and the second group receiving their 'general' interview. Both interviews were conducted by a single partner one-on-one.

The case study interview was fairly straightforward, I was given a document prior to entering the interview and given time to proof read and come up with a 10 minute presentation (however in the end my interviewing partner did not get me to present my full presentation- instead stopping me very early to just discuss the issues). The case-study involved a news story about a client of the firm and I had to discuss the firm's options regarding that client- such as what advice the firm could give, whether the firm would want to maintain a relationship with the client etc. I felt it was a much simpler case study than I have had at other similar firms and they just wanted to make sure you could flag up lots of issues- rather than say focussing on a select few.

The general interview was very straightforward too. The partner who interviewed me had a list of questions that he was reading from and wrote notes on as we went through. Very standard questions covering 'why me, why Clifford Chance, why law' with some competency questions about how I deal with difficult people and how I keep myself organised thrown in too.

Overall this was a transparent interview process and it felt like the key was having a good, individual reasons for why you wanted to work for Clifford Chance, and, being capable of flagging up basic legal issues in the case study.

What advice would you give to future applicants about the Clifford Chance interview?

In prepping for interviews with Clifford Chance I think it is key to have a very tailored reason why you want to work for them over any other magic circle firm. The interview structure is very bland so I think its important to go out of your way to demonstrate why you are different instead of giving bland answers to bland questions.

I was successful in getting the vac scheme and on the vac scheme itself they told me that my general interviewer had said my knowledge of the firm didn't extend much beyond what was on the website- so I think it would be good to try and meet a firm's representative at recruitment events to try and really get a personal account of what the firm is like.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

February 2018

What for?

Training Contract

The interview consisted of a strength-based interview with an associate, followed by a case study with a partner. Although I've attended multiple interviews, it was the sincerity and interest shown by everyone at the firm (particularly HR) which set Clifford Chance apart from other firms for me. Not only did it make me feel more comfortable during the interviews, it actually made me more enthusiastic about the entire day.

If invited to a interview at Clifford Chance, you should remember that the firm is already impressed by you. The interview is your chance to reassure the firm that everything you stated in the application is true. My best advice would be to be yourself. The firm isn't looking for people that meet a strict criteria. They look for people from interesting backgrounds, people with personality- and this doesn't mean you need to have a loud personality!

For the strength-based interview, whilst preparing for the usual questions which relate to competency, it's essential to have a sincere, genuine reason for why you applied to Clifford Chance. You really have to go into the smallest detail- mention the aspects about the firm which appeal to you and explain why that's so important to you.

The case study was the most difficult part of the day. We were given a scenario and asked to write an email to the partner, summarising the information provided. I was accustomed to receiving scenarios where you can mention lots of different issues but CC case study had very few points to mention. When writing the briefing email (in preparation for the briefing interview with the partner), I found myself quite worried about my lack of points.

Considering I still managed to get an offer with the firm, I think it's important to have confidence in your abilities. Even if you think you don't have enough information (or think you've missed out on things because your brief is short), just elaborate on the points you do have in the interview. The partner will also make suggestions and ask about alternative scenarios to hear your opinion on the matter. Since the partner is wanting to understand your thought process and test your common sense/commercial awareness, make the most of the casual nature of the conversation and explain your opinions.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

February 2018

What for?

[Not provided]

Clifford Chance = A competency interview with one or two partners; reading some documents and writing an email response to the client; discussing the case study with one or two partners.

Clifford Chance = The competency interview was pretty standard, no curveballs. It was all about my application and motivations for law. It wasn't exactly enjoyable through - I felt like the partners might have been doing a good cop-bad cop act because one of the partners was very forthright in challenging everything I said.

The case study is not particularly challenging - you're in a room with about 5 other applicants and you do it on a computer, and print it out. It's not particularly time pressured - just read fast and keep you response clear and well structured. The partner didn't actually look at my response before or during the interview, but we discussed the material I'd read. It's important to look at the issue through the client's eyes, what their interests and concerns will be and how the firm can help them.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the sheer quantity of other candidates. A number of groups from different time slots were sharing a room to wait in. It unexpectedly psyched me out a little bit so just a forewarning!

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018

February 2018

What for?

Vacation scheme

This was basically a competency, written task and case study (last two rolled into one)

Competency: really simple as long as you come in knowing that you have to really sell yourself and use all your experiences to demonstrate your personality. It's definitely not hard and I think they're just seeing your personality from that one, as well as box ticking (commercial awarneess, communication etc)

Written task (part of the case study): so this is kinda hard and definitely you're put under pressure for this, since you have 30mins to read the info, write a memo (on a laptop no less) to the partner about potential client concerns and what CC can do. It defintiely requires a prior understanding of what lawyers actually do which is tough if you haven't really gone deep into researching the exact role of lawyers or haven't done a VS etc. For that again structure really is key I'm assuming and they're looking (much like with Dechert) that you can write concisely, clearly and in a structured manner.

Case study: you then had to present based on the email you wrote to the partner (which was printed off, the partner isnt given a copy so they go in blind). The presentation again Im assuming is mainly about structure etc as well as the content you talk about. The partner then grills you on everything you've said/potentially missed and brings in new scenarios to test your problem solving on the fly. Then they discuss really general questions about you (I got "challenges facing CC" and "why do you think you will be a good lawyer at CC"). The Q&A is by far the hardest part of the case study, and prior research about current affairs topics (brexit, gdpr etc), general commercial awareness (e.g knowing what a leveraged loan is and the issues surrounding that) and knowing the role lawyers do in every dept and how they tackle different crises within businesses is key.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

February [?]

What for?

Vacation scheme

They made me feel at ease throughout the entire process. I had 2 interviews - one case study and one general to assess my suitability for the role.

Read through all of the case study information really clearly. They will pick up on small aspects and make them form a big part of your interview. Really assess the finer details but also look at them in the bigger picture as well.

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    In terms of the case study, are the candidates allowed to use internet to research some of the issues?

You're not allowed to use the internet to research, nor would it be appropriate anyway since the case study requires you to apply commercial / legal solutions to a unique factual scenario.

Mohammadz

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hello everyone,

I applied for the Middle East TC with Clifford Chance and I thankfully got invited for an assessment day which will be held on the 10th February.

I still haven’t heard anything from them - I am concerned since I have no clue about what to expect and what I am going to do.

Thanks as ever.

Reactions: DenSotZeft

mostafa

Nov 9, 2021
    Hello everyone,

I applied for the Middle East TC with Clifford Chance and I thankfully got invited for an assessment day which will be held on the 10th February.

I still haven’t heard anything from them - I am concerned since I have no clue about what to expect and what I am going to do.

Thanks as ever.
    Hello I am currently applying, what advice would you give me being in the application form stage? particularly the 300 application question

azwana

Standard Member
    Dec 8, 2021
    Hello everyone,

Thanks as ever.
    HI Mohammad, did you have to do a (recorded) video interview before being invited to AC? Any tips and advice? What questions do they ask?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.