Clifford Chance TC on hold?

Haowei

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently applied for Clifford Chance's TC and got an email saying:

"We have carefully considered your application and unfortunately we are not able to invite you to the next stage on this occasion, however we thought your application was very strong and we would like to keep your application on hold. We will be in touch no later than April next year to let you know if we would like to invite you to interview."

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm just curious because I've never heard of a law firm do this.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone,

"We have carefully considered your application and unfortunately we are not able to invite you to the next stage on this occasion, however we thought your application was very strong and we would like to keep your application on hold. We will be in touch no later than April next year to let you know if we would like to invite you to interview."

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm just curious because I've never heard of a law firm do this.
This is not uncommon to happen for vacation schemes when firms choose to move candidates over to a spring or summer scheme after they applied for a winter scheme. It is interesting that it happened to you for a direct TC application - did you apply for 2023 or 2024? Did you apply late in the application window? I know that there has been some confusion this year surrounding Clifford Chance's methods of recruiting for both intakes simultaneously.

Either way, the firm thought your application was very strong which can only be a positive (and I would take their e-mail at face value). Congratulations!! Even if you do not progress with Clifford Chance then I think this demonstrates that you have what it takes to go far with other top firms!

Reactions: Haowei and George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

This isn’t uncommon - I did this several times in my career. It’s ultimately good (if somewhat frustrating) news, as ultimately they think they might be able to consider you in future. It’s just frustrating as they can’t let you know for several months.

Reactions: Haowei

Haowei

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2020
This is not uncommon to happen for vacation schemes when firms choose to move candidates over to a spring or summer scheme after they applied for a winter scheme. It is interesting that it happened to you for a direct TC application - did you apply for 2023 or 2024? Did you apply late in the application window? I know that there has been some confusion this year surrounding Clifford Chance's methods of recruiting for both intakes simultaneously.

Either way, the firm thought your application was very strong which can only be a positive (and I would take their e-mail at face value). Congratulations!! Even if you do not progress with Clifford Chance then I think this demonstrates that you have what it takes to go far with other top firms!
Hi James,

Thanks for the reply!

I did apply late in the application window, I think I submitted my application 2 or 3 days before the deadline? And it was for 2024.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm pleased that they thought my application was strong. And you're definitely right, it can only be a positive!

• 🤝
Reactions: James Carrabino and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.