Clyde and Co vac scheme application

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hey!

I am applying for the summer vacation scheme at Clyde and Co and wonder if anyone has any advice with answering the following question;

If you were looking to grow a law firm's business where would you look to open your next office and why?

Thank you, everyone, in advance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey!

I am applying for the summer vacation scheme at Clyde and Co and wonder if anyone has any advice with answering the following question;

If you were looking to grow a law firm's business where would you look to open your next office and why?

Thank you, everyone, in advance!

Hey - do you have some initial thoughts on this? I can then give you more tailored advice!

AH

Nov 14, 2020
    Hey, thanks for asking this question, I wanted to also find out whether the best way to approach this question is by talking about the firm or in general about where you would open an office - as it's not really specific.

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hey - do you have some initial thoughts on this? I can then give you more tailored advice!

Hi Jaysen,

I was wondering whether to talk specifically about Clydes or any law firm in general.

My initial thoughts were opening an office somewhere in Africa due to it being an emerging market and also the growing banking and finance industries. Clyde and Co already have offices across Africa so I'm not sure whether this means I couldn't use this example.

I also thought about discussing Covid-19 and suggesting that now might not be the best time to be thinking about global expansion and that firm's should be focusing more on improving their WFH conditions. Though, I don't think that this would be answering the question that they are asking.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

I was wondering whether to talk specifically about Clydes or any law firm in general.

My initial thoughts were opening an office somewhere in Africa due to it being an emerging market and also the growing banking and finance industries. Clyde and Co already have offices across Africa so I'm not sure whether this means I couldn't use this example.

I also thought about discussing Covid-19 and suggesting that now might not be the best time to be thinking about global expansion and that firm's should be focusing more on improving their WFH conditions. Though, I don't think that this would be answering the question that they are asking.

I agree that the second point isn't really answering the question.

I would generally focus on law firms, but you can tie in Clyde & Co here to back up your claims. I'd just flag that so many candidates jump to something like 'Africa because it's an emerging market' when answering questions like this. While that's not necessarily a wrong answer, you want to show deep thinking to justify why exactly it is worth opening an office in the particular country. It's also worth thinking about why law firms open up a new office in the first place and what justifies that kind of investment.

Reactions: TCG

ak123

Standard Member
    Dec 4, 2020
    I had just gone on to submit my summer vac scheme application, when I realized the question was If Clyde & Co were looking to grow its business where would you look to open the next office and why?

When working on it, it seemed to be If you were looking to grow a law firm's business where would you look to open your next office and why?, so I'm wondering if they changed it!!?

I have worked on an answer about opening a new office, and now looking at this new variation it does not work as the firm already has an office in the location I proposed. Has anyone else seen this change? Slightly worried as I have to rewrite this whole answer now!

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    I had just gone on to submit my summer vac scheme application, when I realized the question was If Clyde & Co were looking to grow its business where would you look to open the next office and why?

When working on it, it seemed to be If you were looking to grow a law firm's business where would you look to open your next office and why?, so I'm wondering if they changed it!!?

I have worked on an answer about opening a new office, and now looking at this new variation it does not work as the firm already has an office in the location I proposed. Has anyone else seen this change? Slightly worried as I have to rewrite this whole answer now!

I found this too!!!!!!!! I thought i was going crazy. I am now rewriting ti also - can't believe this last minute change haha

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I submitted an application to the firm in November and the question was definitely 'if you were looking to grow a law firm's business where would you look to open your next office and why?'
    I can't remember noticing if the question had changed by the time I had submitted my application and am now a bit worried that the question had changed before I applied and I didn't properly see or if they have changed the question after my submission?

I'm not really sure on what to do about this change?

ak123

Standard Member
    Dec 4, 2020
    I submitted an application to the firm in November and the question was definitely 'if you were looking to grow a law firm's business where would you look to open your next office and why?'
    I can't remember noticing if the question had changed by the time I had submitted my application and am now a bit worried that the question had changed before I applied and I didn't properly see or if they have changed the question after my submission?

Did you save your application to your PC, maybe you can check for peace of mind? I wouldn't worry though, they may have just changed it last minute considering they recruit on a rolling basis.

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019

I wouldn't worry too much - I feel like they changed this last minute. I had copied and pasted the questions a few weeks ago to start drafting it, and once I had logged in again a few days ago it had changed. So I'm sure you've answered the right question if it was back in November!

Reactions: Georgina Evans

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I think if they have chosen to make an application change like this mid cycle I really think they would be reasonable and appreciate that some of you may have been drafting their original question. If you realise the change, then of course do rewrite the answer, but I wouldn't worry if you submit with the previous question in mind. I have never known a firm to do this before and so I don't think it should be held against you.

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2021
    This is a weird question, but have Clyde and Co changed their applications? There are no essay questions at all, and I just want to make sure I am not missing something. Also, if there are no questions, does this mean I have to do the Forage virtual internship to get noticed for an interview?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.