Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

January 2020

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme 2020

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

1.30pm - arrival
    1.45pm - group task
    3pm - interview
    3.45pm - written task
    4.30pm - tour of office with trainees
    4.45pm - finish

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

1.30pm - mingle with about 7 other candidates, brought into a room with grad rec and were given an informal welcome to the firm

1.45pm - group task - split into 2 groups, where each group were to discuss a negotiation exercise. the task focused on an M&A deal with an energy company looking to acquire an oil business. each group split into the two different parties, and had to agree on 3 non-negotiables. the case study was fairly short, and both groups were then brought together to negotiate the terms of the agreement. 2 associates were also present, who took notes of what individual said throughout the task.

3pm - interview - mine was with an associate and a member of grad rec, which lasted around 40 minutes. mix of competency + motivation qs, questions as followed below

3.45pm - written task. most straightforward written task i've completed, we had to look through a brochure of charities and select which charity Clyde and Co should sponsor.

4.30 - tour of office

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

• What are your modules for 3rd year?
    • Why apply for the vac scheme at Clyde & Co?
    • Why commercial law?
    • You’re a trainee going into new seat – how do you prepare?
    • What other firms are you applying to?
    • What seats are you interested in?
    • What have you read that’s recently interested you and why?
    • How do you manage conflicted deadlines?
    • How do prevent falling behind in work?
    • Describe a time where you had to do something hadn't done before?
    • When have you displayed initiative?

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Group task: this task was quite intense, so be sure to make you sure your voice is heard throughout, and also try and bring in some commercial awareness wherever relevant.

Written task: the key point to doing well is to make sure your answer is well structured, and you provide evidence for your statements wherever necessary.

Interview: there was a surprise case study here about a ship of goods that had caught fire, so brush up on tort/contract law and liabilities of parties in a repudiatory breach

Tour of office: this was assessed, make sure you're still pleasant and engaged with the trainees throughout, they know you would be drained after the day but try and keep a positive attitude throughout!

Were you successful?

No

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

March 2020

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

13:40pm arrival, 2pm interview with one Partner and one Legal Director for half an hour.

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Interview lasted a total of roughly 30minutes. I was told it would consist of competency based questions (which I only received one) and a 5 minute presentation on a question that I had to prepare before coming for the interview. The presentation question was: “Which case from the last 12 months, do you consider will have the greatest impact on [redacted] over the next five years and why?”

The interview questions were not competency, they were based mostly on the news story that I had chosen to write about in my application. And from then on, a number of questions relating to insurance law (which was difficult as I have not studied this at university).

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

Describe a situation where you have had to use your problem solving skills.
    Why do you want to work at Clyde & Co instead of other firms?
    Why insurance law?
    Why does your news story relate to the work that Clyde & Co does?

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

I chose to do my presentation on a family Law case because I knew a lot about it, having studied it and because the Edinburgh Clyde & Co office have a small private client department. I thought it would be more sensible to base it on something that I know rather than choose a different case relating to them where I could mess up. However, this was not successful as they believed that I preferred family law to insurance. As a result, next time if I were to have to do another 5 minute presentation I would choose something that relates to the firm more.

As to the interview questions, make sure you learn your application really well. And know a bit more than what you have written on it. I found it difficult to expand further.

Were you successful?

No

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.