Commercial Awareness Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Commercial Awareness Forum' started by Jaysen, May 26, 2020.

1. Ayo Babatunde

Ayo Babatunde Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    This video (only 6 mins long) from DLA Piper discusses how the removal of employment tribunal fees has led to an increase in employment class actions, and the impact this will have on future claims. I have never really been particularly drawn to employment law but I found this video really interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Raam

Raam Valued Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I think this is something that will have a knock-on effect due to the pandemic and the government refusing to extend the furlough scheme. Given the accelerated digitalisation of retail, a lot of retailers are cutting jobs which means this sector could disproportionately see class actions. Such cases could be focused on securing severance fees. PE firms could be exposed due to their use of leverage ensuring their portfolio companies had less financial flexibility against the financial impact of Covid, but were also ineligible for government aid.

I would also expect a rise in cases regarding racial and gender equality since the pandemic has highlighted the importance of ESG factors and equality. Employees across the corporate world would be more proactive in enforcing action against systemic and discrimination.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Raam

Raam Valued Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    #203 Raam, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. nymi

nymi Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well. I came across an article about the change in Enterprise act 2002. Foreign firms that may be willing to take over the UK firms will have to face a big hurdle due to change in Enterprise Act 2002. The UK government, in response to the pandemic, will be able to intervene to protect the companies related to COVID-19 by adding a public interest consideration under the Enterprise Act 2002. They will make sure that these companies that are related to COVID-19 are not subject to mergers and acquisitions that are against the public interest.
    I have figured how this can be a challenge as law firms will now have to make sure that the buyer’s takeover is not undermining the capability of the target firm to mitigate the effects of COVID-19 or future public health emergencies
    However, I'm struggling to figure that how can a law firm turn this into an opportunity?

5. XARA

XARA Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Was wondering whether anyone had any points regarding the changing legal landscape? What are the main things that are changing in the legal landscape? I am trying to think of stuff aside from technology because I know that that tends to be something most people turn to initially

6. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Interesting article! Note that where clients are faced with uncertainty like this, they'll be paying lawyers to understand the implications of the law on their business. On a simple level, this means one point might be an increased billing opportunity. It might also benefit law firms who have strong global practices (representing foreign firms looking to expand in the UK) and can therefore win instruction based on their ability to help clients navigate these regulations.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. nymi

nymi Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you so much, Jaysen. This is really helpful!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
  9. Sophie111

Sophie111 Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi guys,

This commercial awareness thread has been super helpful.
    I was wondering if anybody had some guidance how to approach CA questions in applications. For example, DLA Piper's app question is 'Which business news story has interested you the most in the last 12 months and why?'. Though not explicitly stated in the question, it is good practise to relate the answer back to how it may impact the firm. However, I am struggling to do this.

E.g. If I talk about the concern around big tech and antitrust law. How can I talk about the impact on the firm beyond the fact they will see an increase in regulatory work?

Thanks!

10. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    Hi there - sorry this wasn't answered sooner! So it can be good in these responses to link it back to a firm if it can be done naturally and convincingly but don't feel you have to! This question just asks you to discuss a business story which interests you with no mention of needing to relate it back so if you feel this cannot be done well and your words would be better placed on the analysis and content then definitely do this and don't worry about mentioning the firm :)